Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mo42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Hi All - new to the forum, but have been reading for some time now. Appreciate all of the great advice and knowledge shared here.

I am wondering if I should try a reinstall of Mavericks due to some issues I've observed over the past few months. I am not noticing any major performance issues, rather just some annoyances that I can't seem to troubleshoot to resolve. I am concerned about upgrading to Yosemite in the fall and carrying these same issues over. I'd rather go into the upgrade with no problems.

1) Since March, it takes 1-2 min to shutdown, and when I logon again I see a shutdown stall report in console. Its a gamed.launched and backups-helper,gamed.launched type of message. Then last week in addition to one of those I got a games.launched.mDNSResponder shutdown stall message for the first time. I get at least 1 of these messages every time I shutdown.

2) If I don't close the lid to sleep, I notice it either doesn't sleep on its own, or takes a really long time to go into that mode. This started about a month ago. I've checked my settings and its set to sleep at 10 min. Typically I will close my lid to sleep, but sometimes I walk away in the middle of something to tend to something, without closing the lid, and when I come back 20-25 min later its still not in sleep mode. I've done SMC and PRAM, doesn't solve anything. Also booted into safe mode, and I cannot tell a difference in that mode.

So, should I try a reinstall? Its a mid 2012 MBA, 8GB, 512. original OS was ML. If I do a reinstall, should I do a clean install, or the other where I don't lose anything?

Mo42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
Have you deleted the offending program? I would try that first. It is either a bad app install or crappy software.

Thanks for your reply. That's the thing, I can't find it to delete it. Here is a piece from within one of the gamed.launched messages -

Process: gamed [1084]
Path: /System/Library/Frameworks/GameKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/gamed
Architecture: x86_64
Parent: launchd [136]
UID: 501
Sudden Term: Dirty (allows idle exit)
Task size: 7538 pages (+75)
Pageins: 1 pages
CPU Time: 0.010s
Importance: Adaptive, Boosted

Mo42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
This discussion on the Apple forums may help you with disabling gamed

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24787414

Thanks for the link. I read through that and think I may have fixed the issue? I cleared the cache folder and deleted the trash. Not sure it was a suggestion on the link above? Think I clicked on something from there to see this suggestion.

Anyway, for the moment, this seems to have solved the shutdown stall issue. Thanks, all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.