Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Beats Music for iOS Gains New 'Tune Your Taste' Customizations, Verified Badges

Beats Music for iOS was today updated to version 2.2.0, adding several user-requested features. It's now possible for Beats listeners to change their Just For You recommendations through a new "Tune Your Taste" feature in Settings that allows users to select new favorite genres and artists.

Listeners are also able to track their most recently played songs from The Sentence feature, which lets users select songs based on mood and activity. Verified Badges have been added, with a red check mark signaling a profile is "certified as legit by Beats," and there have been quite a few bug fixes.
Quote:
You asked for it, and we listened! In this latest release we've added:
- Tune Your Taste -- Want to switch up your Just For You recommendations? Change your favorite genres and artists with the Tune Your Taste feature in Settings
- Sentence History -- View your most recently played songs from The Sentence
- Verified Badges -- That red check mark means the profile is certified as legit by Beats
- Player Improvements -- We fixed a ton of bugs to make playback more smooth and reliable

...and much, much more!
Beats Music is set to be acquired by Apple in the next month or two, as soon as the $3 billion deal, first announced in May, gains regulatory approval in the U.S. and is finalized.

Apple has said that Beats will remain a standalone music service, which means the app will continue to be available on iOS, Android, and Windows devices.

Beats Music can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Beats Music for iOS Gains New 'Tune Your Taste' Customizations, Verified Badges
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Mums
In Time-Out

Meh - not interested.
Mums is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:35 PM   #3
dannyyankou
macrumors 68030

Beats music is so great.

They're headphones on the other hand...
dannyyankou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:41 PM   #4
wtmcgee
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to wtmcgee
If they can get a good Desktop app I'd consider switching from Spotify but right now I just can't see the point. However, competition in this space is good regardless.
wtmcgee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:48 PM   #5
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

This was a much needed update, app is running better.
kmj2318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 03:54 PM   #6
ralphdaily
macrumors member

A month ago I dropped Pandora, added Beats and am much happier. Great service.
ralphdaily is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:21 PM   #7
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

Blah! Just make it part of iTunes Music since Apple got Beats now I just do not understand the whole point being a app on its own and still have to pay for it, than again I would never waste my money on this app because the only types music you would hear is commercial.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:45 PM   #8
MacGeek1987
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
Blah! Just make it part of iTunes Music since Apple got Beats now I just do not understand the whole point being a app on its own and still have to pay for it, than again I would never waste my money on this app because the only types music you would hear is commercial.
The point of it being on its own is, in part, being available on the Android and Windows platforms without the Apple name. Why would Android or Windows loyalist listen to iTunes Radio over non-Apple offerings like Spotify and Pandora?

----------

Been with Beats Music since launch day. No regrets.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 04:54 PM   #9
roar08
macrumors member

Beats is terrible. Spotify or you're wrong.

I love music. And I mean love it. Probably more than you. I wanted to love a new music app. The sign up process for the Beats iOS app is AWFUL. You are forced to select music genres, which is fine, until you're then forced to select what artists you like. What if you prefer other artists that aren't presented? It sucks. And it sucks bad. I recently discovered Spotify, which is another way of saying I was VERY late to that game. Spotify is better than Beats, Pandora, iTunes combined. The Spotify library is intensely deep and broad. I tried the trial of the premium version and it immediately sold me. I hardly EVER listen to my own iTunes library anymore, I quit Pandora. I uninstalled Beats for how terrible it was, independent of how amazing Spotify is. Using Spotify, I now understand why so many people have labeled Apple as "behind" in music. I love Apple, but they're right - Spotify is king of the hill in a BIG way.
roar08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:08 PM   #10
jdawgnoonan
macrumors regular

Quote:
You are incorrect. They have a huge variety of music and much of it is not "Commercial."

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar08 View Post
I love music. And I mean love it. Probably more than you. I wanted to love a new music app. The sign up process for the Beats iOS app is AWFUL. You are forced to select music genres, which is fine, until you're then forced to select what artists you like. What if you prefer other artists that aren't presented? It sucks. And it sucks bad. I recently discovered Spotify, which is another way of saying I was VERY late to that game. Spotify is better than Beats, Pandora, iTunes combined. The Spotify library is intensely deep and broad. I tried the trial of the premium version and it immediately sold me. I hardly EVER listen to my own iTunes library anymore, I quit Pandora. I uninstalled Beats for how terrible it was, independent of how amazing Spotify is. Using Spotify, I now understand why so many people have labeled Apple as "behind" in music. I love Apple, but they're right - Spotify is king of the hill in a BIG way.
Google All Access is another good option with a deep library. I prefer the Google client to Spotify.
jdawgnoonan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:51 PM   #11
MacGeek1987
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmcgee View Post
If they can get a good Desktop app I'd consider switching from Spotify but right now I just can't see the point. However, competition in this space is good regardless.
I've been with Beats from launch day and I have to agree - the desktop app is very much needed. The web app is too watered down to be useful. Even at my desk, I'll use my iPad to listen to music.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 06:33 PM   #12
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

I took advantage of the beats trial a while ago. The setup wasn't quite as easy as it could be... I would have preferred an option to just tell them my favorite bands for example... and I found the UI a bit confusing. On the plus side, having access to just about every song and album is great and I can't wait til Apple cleans this up and integrates it into iTunes.

I'm still not sure why Apple couldn't have created this themselves nor what Eddy and Tim see in this company that they would pay a whopping $3 billion for it. I guess we'll know soon enough if this was a great buy or a complete bust.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:42 PM   #13
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

Quote:
???

Do you not understand the entire concept of this app? You can listen to anything? If you're only hearing commercial music it's because you're only choosing to listen to commercial music.
thisisdallas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 06:39 AM   #14
patent10021
macrumors 68000

Question: Why should I use this over iTunes Radio app?

Is it better? Slicker? I have amassed an amazing catalog of stations with iTunes Radio.
patent10021 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisdallas View Post
???

Do you not understand the entire concept of this app? You can listen to anything? If you're only hearing commercial music it's because you're only choosing to listen to commercial music.
Exactly....use the search you can listen to whatever you choose.
The curated lists are there IF you want to use them.
Roy Hobbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:35 AM   #16
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Yet another service only available in the U.S.A.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 03:20 PM   #17
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by patent10021 View Post
Question: Why should I use this over iTunes Radio app?

Is it better? Slicker? I have amassed an amazing catalog of stations with iTunes Radio.
You can actually pick and choose what artists and songs you want to listen to. iTunes Radio is like Pandora, you can pick artists you like, and iTunes will play music on that station similiar to the artist/genre. I use Spotify much more than I use iTunes Radio (and I even have iTunes Match, which gives me music commercial free).
nburwell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion