Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebook.jpg
Facebook is planning to motivate people to download and use its standalone Facebook Messenger app by removing messaging capabilities from the standard Facebook mobile app.

Currently, users can chat through the Messages tab located on the bottom toolbar in the main Facebook app, but that tab will soon redirect users to download the Messenger app instead. When installed, a message received in the Facebook app will switch the user over to Messenger to chat, as it does now when a user has both the Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps installed.

According to TechCrunch, Facebook is making the switch so that it does not have to support two versions of Messenger, thereby improving both apps. Facebook gave TechCrunch an official statement on the upcoming changes:
In the next few days, we're continuing to notify more people that if they want to send and receive Facebook messages, they'll need to download the Messenger app. As we've said, our goal is to focus development efforts on making Messenger the best mobile messaging experience possible and avoid the confusion of having separate Facebook mobile messaging experiences. Messenger is used by more than 200 million people every month, and we'll keep working to make it an even more engaging way to connect with people.
Facebook has already forced users in Europe to switch over to Facebook Messenger to send and accept messages.

Facebook for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Facebook Messenger for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook to Cut Messaging From Main App in Effort to Focus on Facebook Messenger

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
I guess I'll be sending people messages a different way then, and the fb app on my phone will get used less.

Good luck with that.

penx

macrumors member
May 23, 2005
and strangely my iOS home screen bookmark started loading a white screen around the same time...

DJMeat

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
London
They pulled this crap in the UK last month, leading me to removing the app altogether. I don't see the benefit for a casual user such as myself to have to install two apps to achieve essentially the same thing, and the mobile site does exactly what I need it to do.

Of course, it doesn't help that I despise Facebook, but just. can't. delete. my profile...

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I don't think this is a smart move at all. It makes the Facebook app less useful and relevant. Meanwhile Facebook messenger is not going to stand up against other instant messaging options. I don't get this personally.

jian

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
I will simply not install message. once I get a message, I will either download the message for just 5minute to finish the conversation or go to the web version.

....simply because I hate the concept of having two apps that does the same thing.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
already stopped using Facebook, only people who do are either robots or kids who don't know any better.

facebook is a pile of junk, designed to funnel you adverts and spam and allow stalkers to basically intrude on your life.

This is another attempt to try and get you to use an another app to DOUBLE THEIR AD revenue. Two apps, whole new set of ads and sales prices. This is not a legit reason to split them apart.

DO NOT TRUST facebook.

TPALTony

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Since I didn't think FaceBook should be able to tell me how many of their apps I had installed on my phone so they can push more and more ads at me, I simply don't use it for messaging when on the go any more. It's worked rather well as I spend more time enjoying the world.

All the important people in my life have iMessage anyway. :)

Not sure it was their intended effect but it worked for me. :)

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Translation.... No one used our messaging app because they'd use it within the FB app. So know we'll force you to use it.

I never saw the need for two apps that do the same thing. This story is news to me and I think the move is pretty stupid. IMO

At this point,why not make another app to post pics to your wall? Lol

DJMeat

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
London
already stopped using Facebook, only people who do are either robots or kids who don't know any better.

facebook is a pile of junk, designed to funnel you adverts and spam and allow stalkers to basically intrude on your life.

This is another attempt to try and get you to use an another app to DOUBLE THEIR AD revenue. Two apps, whole new set of ads and sales prices. This is not a legit reason to split them apart.

DO NOT TRUST facebook.

I only use FB to keep in touch with people I met when I was working on cruise ships. Most of them are scattered around the world and not on Twitter, so FB is the only useful option.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I'm telling you, MacRumors writers are so funny, using the word "motivate" when the correct one is "force" :rolleyes:

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I'm already forced to use FB and Messenger on my iphone. It's not intuitive, and I've noticed I am preferring to returning to texts or email since it kicks me out of the main app anyway.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Less convenience? Nice.

I was a FaceBook user from 2005–2011. Have never regretted leaving. I'm certain that many of you would be surprised at how refreshing it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.