Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfologist87

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 19, 2010
My 5s is now missing the Touch ID option. Only shows the passcode under settings. From researching, the only way to fix it is to go to the apple store and get replacement device. It is under warranty until Oct and I have done an iTunes restore which didn't help.

My question, however, is since I have a couple very small flattened dents from slight drops, will apple refuse me? No glass is broken, no water damage and everything else is fully functional. What is everyone's experience with those small dents.

Thanks

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
If you only see the setting for the passcode then its a software issue. Since that can't be fixed then most likely they will replace it. I would try to do a restore first before taking it to the Genius Bar. I had something similar happen to my iPad. I had it replaced because of a software issue… It was replaced with a refurbish iPad. I had my iPad for only two months and the one that was replaced doesn't keep a longer charge as the original one.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
You will probably get a refurb out of the deal. It help if you go in with a good attitude and are nice to the guys. I've gotten a free phone when they didn't have to give one out for warranty. Good luck!

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
As you have done a restore already (which is what they would suggest) I would take it in. Don't draw attention to the fact it has dents but be pleasant and polite and they will help you out, as others have said it may be a straight swap. If the replacement is iffy they'll do what they can to help.

Fingers crossed I've not had to go to an appointment with a genius but I hear good stories!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.