Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's newly refreshed Retina MacBook Pros, released this morning, have already begun showing up in Geekbench benchmarks, offering a look at the performance boost of the updated machines compared to their predecessors.

A GeekBench 3 result for the entry-level 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro indicates that the new machine is eight percent faster than the entry-level 2013 Retina MacBook Pro, and only two percent slower than the mid-level Retina MacBook Pro released in 2013.

mbp-2014-sc.png
Single-Core performance for the machine came in at 3050, up from 2811 for the similar 2013 model, while Multi-Core performance was also impressive, at 11586 vs. 10730.

mbp-2014-mc.png
The new Retina MacBook Pros feature upgraded Haswell processors in 2.6 and 2.8 GHz dual-core configurations for the 13-inch versions, and 2.2 and 2.5 GHz quad-core configurations for the 15-inch models, with build-to-order options featuring a 3.0 GHz dual-core processor available for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro and a 2.8 GHz quad-core processor available for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

All of Apple's 13-inch Retina MacBook Pros now come with 8 GB of RAM standard (upgradeable to 16 GB), while 15-inch models come with 16 GB standard. The high-end 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro has seen a $100 price cut, and buyers now have the option to upgrade to 1 TB of flash storage on both 13 and 15-inch models.

As noted by John Poole of Primate Labs, with the newly refreshed Haswell Retina MacBook Pros, customers are receiving mid-level performance at an entry-level price.

Though the update brings some decent gains to Apple's Retina MacBook Pro lineup, the new Haswell processors are largely a stopgap measure designed to hold customers over until Intel's more powerful and more efficient Broadwell chips are available next year.

Apple's refreshed Retina MacBook Pros are available today at Apple retail locations and its online store.

Article Link: 15-Inch Mid 2014 Retina MacBook Pro Benchmark Shows Decent Entry-Level Speed Gains

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Does anyone know if Broadwell will support 32GB of ram in laptops?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
As noted by John Poole of Primate Labs, with the newly refreshed Haswell Retina MacBook Pros, customers are receiving mid-level performance at an entry-level price.

Isn't this essentially what happens every year?

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Broadwell MacBook Pros aren't going to be released for another 8 months at least. People who really want a MacBook Pro should just get one now. These are perfectly good machines.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
What's the point of benchmarking a 200Mgz speed increase these days? :rolleyes:

The last time I remember 200Mgz being a big deal was in the mid-late 90's! :eek:

Chmeeee

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Boston, MA
Any thoughts on how a maxed out Early 2013 15" compares to the current base model? 2.7 Ivy Bridge vs. 2.2 Haswell, 650M vs Iris Pro. Ram is equal.

That configuration Early 2013 is $100 less than a new base model, so the comparison is relevant, and I'm trying to make a decision.

----------

What's the point of benchmarking a 200Mgz speed increase these days? :rolleyes:

The last time I remember 200Mgz being a big deal was in the mid-late 90's! :eek:

You exaggerate a bit much. A 200Mhz increase would have been ~50% in the late 90s, and those were single core processors.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Highly annoyed they didn't stick the 850M in there. The card has been out for several months now. They just want to make it a bigger deal for the full refresh in Summer 2015.

Before any of you comment protecting Apple - the 850M is similar in size and more efficient than the 750M.

Last edited:

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Broadwell MacBook Pros aren't going to be released for another 8 months at least. People who really want a MacBook Pro should just get one now. These are perfectly good machines.

For someone like me, it's not a matter of want but need. I was ready to go ahead and buy what ever the latest offering is in the next month and a half or so but was afraid that Apple would just update in October. I'm personally glad and relieved that Apple went ahead and released this very minor update as I won't be able to wait any longer. Though, I really do wish that it was with the Broadwell chips but we know that's not Apple's problem.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
For someone like me, it's not a matter of want but need. I was ready to go ahead and buy what ever the latest offering is in the next month and a half or so but was afraid that Apple would just update in October. I'm personally glad and relieved that Apple went ahead and released this very minor update as I won't be able to wait any longer. Though, I really do wish that it was with the Broadwell chips but we know that's not Apple's problem.

I'm in a similar boat because I too need a laptop and can't wait anymore. Ultimately a Broadwell chip would be nice, but considering it won't offer much by way of CPU speed and reportedly offers only a marginal integrated GPU boost (I've seen reports that the 40% figure is more like 10-15% practically speaking), a 2014 MacBook Pro will do swimmingly for me. Broadwell may affect potential MacBook Air users more because it is rumoured that Broadwell is the final piece of the puzzle required for Retina MacBook Airs.

That said, the upgrade here IS a minor one, but it's still kind of a big deal that 16gb RAM comes standard on 15 inch models. We all know how much Apple charges for RAM upgrades. So ultimately if nothing else this upgrade is a marginal CPU improvement and a fantastic discount on RAM at once.

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Lots of complaining here, no computer is perfect. Yes the MSI Ghost has a better graphics card with equal power, but it is chunky, has less SSD capacity, and is ugly. Yes the Razer Blade is just as sexy with a better graphics card, but it has less SSD capacity and only 8gb of ram (and is more money).

There is not a perfect laptop, these are good.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
and buyers now have the option to upgrade to 1 TB of flash storage on both 13 and 15-inch models.

Why is this reported as something new? You could already get both 13- and 15-inch rMBP with 1 TB flash earlier.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Time for Apple to move the laptops to ARM and avoid the Intel delays.

Or just add the keyboard to the 12 inch iPad and give it the capability to run multiple windows.

Either way, depending on Intel is not a winning formula right now.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The new Retina MacBook Pros feature upgraded Haswell processors in 2.6 and 2.8 GHz dual-core configurations for the 13-inch versions, and 2.2 and 2.5 GHz quad-core configurations for the 15-inch models, with build-to-order options featuring a 2.8 GHz quad-core processor available for the 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro and a 3.0 GHz quad-core processor available for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro.

Is this a typo ?

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
I always feel like buying a new computer is a like jumping on a moving train—at some point you just gotta do it or wait for another one to come around.

As an upside, small upgrades like this aren't bad because completely new generations of products tend to be more buggy. After a couple iterations and speed bumps or revisions it's pretty sold.

It's not like we're transitioning from PPC to Intel again. Anything you buy will have at least 3 years worth of productivity if not 5 or more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.