Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple support page on Boot Camp was updated yesterday to include a mention of a mid-2014 Mac mini, perhaps hinting that a refresh of the desktop computer might be in the works.

First noticed by 9to5Mac, a cached version of the support page suggests yesterday's update also added mentions of the 2014 low-cost iMac and 2014 MacBook Airs. Today's newly released mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pros were not added to the updated page.

macmini.jpg
The mention of the mid-2014 Mac mini may be a simple error, but the machine is long overdue for a refresh. Last updated in October of 2012, the Mac mini is the only product in Apple's mainstream Mac lineup that has not seen an update with Haswell processors.

Aside from the mention on Apple's support page, there has been no indication that a Mac mini refresh is on the horizon. Several events, including the unveiling of the new iPads last October and Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference seemed like opportune times for the company to unveil a refreshed version of the desktop computer, but no new Mac mini materialized at either event. It continues to remain unclear when Apple might release a new Mac mini, but the support page does offer hope that the product line might continue to live on.

An updated Mac mini would likely offer some improvements brought to the rest of Apple's Mac lineup over the course of the last two years, including Haswell processors, faster PCI Express-based flash storage options, and 802.11ac WiFi.

Article Link: Unreleased 'Mid 2014' Mac Mini Referenced on Apple Support Page

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Let's hope this is accurate. Definitely would like to upgrade my 2011 model at work for a quad-core model since I am doing more editing.

The "Mid-2014" monicker also points to a release soon. Anything after September would be "late-2014."

Last edited:

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
About time for a Mac mini rumor! I wonder if it will undergo a redesign in the near future.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California
My guess was that this is in the works, but awaiting some components (processor or otherwise). Maybe around the release of Yosemite (probably too early, but one can always hope)?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
A Mac mini refresh is long overdue, although at this point I'm going to wait and see if they also do a new Mac mini redesign when Broadwell is available.

The bad news is, if it took them this long to refresh the Mac mini with Haswell, how long after Broadwell will we have to wait? Another two years? :confused:

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I'd expect a major overhaul (not that there is a crazy amount that they can do)

New Mac Pro
New mini
New MacBook Air design
A lot of reinvention by Apple recently and in months to come...

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
A new Mac Mini would be great. If Apple had released it at the end of last year I might have got one then, but I wasn't going to buy the 2012 model then unless they killed the Mini line.

Will be interested to see what the specs are. Then I can decide whether to purchase.

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
Perhaps a redesign and US manufacturing?

Theoretically, could a Mac Mini be as small as an AppleTV?

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I love my mid-2010 Mac mini. I upgraded it to 8 Gigs of RAM last year and I'm going to upgrade it to Yosemite and sell it for a rMBP for college. It's in great shape and it'll be a steal when someone buys it :(

I just hope they don't kill it off, but instead upgrade it like this interesting rumor points out!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just wish this new Mac Mini will include a real video card, not Intel Graphics crap.

But too many people would buy it if that were the case, and it's a lower margin product. Would be a nice option but I doubt it will ever happen.

I'd like to get something like this for my grandpa. He's still using my old 2008 MBP and it's starting to have some problems. He likes to edit together old movies, photos and audio clips of our family over the decades. Mavericks is pretty unstable on his machine. Actually, I'm not sure if it's Mavericks or the machine itself. He took it upon himself to upgrade from Snow Leopard, which probably wasn't the best choice. Had a new motherboard installed by Apple a couple years ago to fix the Nvidia graphics card problem, but he keeps having problems with the machine locking up now.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
I really hope this is true!!

I have a late 2009 mac mini that I like, but its time for a new one. Been waiting for a long time to get one, as soon as the latest update is released, I'll be buying one.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
But too many people would buy it if that were the case, and it's a lower margin product. Would be a nice option but I doubt it will ever happen.

I'd like to get something like this for my grandpa. He's still using my old 2008 MBP and it's starting to have some problems. He likes to edit together old movies, photos and audio clips of our family over the decades. Mavericks is pretty unstable on his machine. Actually, I'm not sure if it's Mavericks or the machine itself. He took it upon himself to upgrade from Snow Leopard, which probably wasn't the best choice. Had a new motherboard installed by Apple a couple years ago to fix the Nvidia graphics card problem, but he keeps having problems with the machine locking up now.

I'd do a time machine backup, erase the existing drive, and install a fresh mavericks copy..

Or wait for Yosemite.. if it's supported

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.