Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epiphron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Hi anyone with a dock (bookarc, mtower, etc.) know if it restricts any airflow for the MBPr? I'm thinking of buying one but I noticed that the airflow sounds more suppressed when closed compared to when the lid is open. I tested this with the fans set to max and just hearing the differences.

Personally, I plan on playing games on an external monitor with the MBPr closed. Anyone with experience with this?

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Hi anyone with a dock (bookarc, mtower, etc.) know if it restricts any airflow for the MBPr? I'm thinking of buying one but I noticed that the airflow sounds more suppressed when closed compared to when the lid is open. I tested this with the fans set to max and just hearing the differences.

Personally, I plan on playing games on an external monitor with the MBPr closed. Anyone with experience with this?

The air intakes are on the sides at the bottom, and outlet is in the hinge. Having the display open or closed does not affect the airflow, and docks don't usually block the vents.

When the lid is open, the hinge directs part of the airflow upwards, and when closed, airflow is directed downwards. This is probably why you hear a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.