Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013
I have my iphone 5S jailbroken on 7.1.2

So I am having many problems with my jailbroken iphone, So I made a cleand install 7.1.2 and then jailbreak.

I tried using icleaner and ilex rat in separate circumstances and I am still having problems with the jailbreak. The only thing that fixed my problems was making a clean restore and then jailbreaking it again.

The only thing that interest me is the progress of dungeon hunter 4.
So I copied everything from my iphone DH4 folder with ifunbox to my computer before I made a clean restore and jailbreak.
After making a clean restore and jailbreak, I tried copying the DH4 folder from my computer with ifunbox to my iphone DH4 folder.
No matter what I do , when i start the game, the dh4 or progress does not continue in the game.

I made sure that dungeon hunter 4 was closed when moving folders.

So if some one have an idea of how to transfer the progress of the game to a new clean restore and jailbreak I will appreciate it.

The only thing that works, So I can continue playing with the progress of the game is restoring from the backup I made before making a clean restore and jailbreak but my jailbreak problems comes back with the backup restore.

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

So I am having many problems with my jailbroken iphone, So I want to make a clean and new install 7.1.2 and then jailbreak.

I tried using icleaner and ilex rat in separate circumstances and I am still having problems with the jailbreak. The only thing that fixed my problems was making a clean restore and then jailbreaking it again.

So I copied everything from my iphone DH4 folder with ifunbox to my computer before I made a clean restore and jailbreak.
After making a clean restore and jailbreak, I tried copying the DH4 folder from my computer with ifunbox to my iphone DH4 folder.
No matter what I do , when i start the game, the dh4 or progress does not continue in the game.

So if some one have an idea of how to transfer the progress of the game to a new clean restore and jailbreak I will appreciate it.

The only thing that works, So I can continue playing with the progress of the game is restoring from the backup I made before making a clean restore and jailbreak but my jailbreak problems comes back with the backup restore.

I wish you had posted before restoring. I have been using AppBackup in Cydia for years now simply to back up all my games (I never restore from backup...I always restore as New and then install my games when I feel like playing them and use AppBackup to restore them...I always have a much better jailbreak experience on a fresh iOS install). I have game saves dating back to at least 2011. I recommend that app to anyone who wants to backup and restore game saves. It picks up exactly where you left off.

It's less critical nowadays obviously but there are still games which do not support features like iCloud so I continue to use AppBackup.

Unfortunately I do not know how to get your game working again. Have you tried only copying the Documents folder? Maybe delete the game completely, reinstall it, and copy only the documents folder?

Try that and let me know how it goes.

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013
I wish you had posted before restoring. I have been using AppBackup in Cydia for years now simply to back up all my games (I never restore from backup...I always restore as New and then install my games when I feel like playing them and use AppBackup to restore them...I always have a much better jailbreak experience on a fresh iOS install). I have game saves dating back to at least 2011. I recommend that app to anyone who wants to backup and restore game saves. It picks up exactly where you left off.

It's less critical nowadays obviously but there are still games which do not support features like iCloud so I continue to use AppBackup.

Unfortunately I do not know how to get your game working again. Have you tried only copying the Documents folder? Maybe delete the game completely, reinstall it, and copy only the documents folder?

Try that and let me know how it goes.

Yes, I tried that. I have the game backed up in itunes and also i have dh4 with the progress on my other phone 5C because i restored with the backup from itunes.

I just tried using appbackup. I backedup dungeon hunter 4 with appbackup with my iphone 5C which had the progreess of the game. Then I went to Var/mobile/library/preferences/appbackup and copied everything and paste it in my iphone 5S Appbackup folder. Then I restore dh4 with appbackup in my 5S and it still did not restore the game.

The only way I see to restore the game is restoring from a itunes or icloud backup restore.

I think the game is someway registered to some kind of unique software thing, I really do not know what I am saying. For example, if each time I restore an iphone as new it creates liek a unique ID which is linked or the games register it to that number. I am just guessing, i really do not know what I am saying

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

So I am having many problems with my jailbroken iphone, So I want to make a clean and new install 7.1.2 and then jailbreak.

first of all, if you are copying files from your computer to your iDevice with these programs, they usually have the owner permission of "root"

These apps don't have root access, and therefore, "root" files can be readable in some cases, but not writeable

You need to make sure all the folders and files have the owner permission of "mobile"

AppBackUp makes a copy of your files with the owner permission of mobile (since that's what they were originally) and will restore them with the owner permission of mobile

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013
first of all, if you are copying files from your computer to your iDevice with these programs, they usually have the owner permission of "root"

These apps don't have root access, and therefore, "root" files can be readable in some cases, but not writeable

You need to make sure all the folders and files have the owner permission of "mobile"

AppBackUp makes a copy of your files with the owner permission of mobile (since that's what they were originally) and will restore them with the owner permission of mobile

I have the progress in my itunes backup, in my iphone 5c which i can play the progress and in my PC.

I tried restoring the progress copying from computer, copying from my 5c to my 5S and also restoring with appbackup.

What I did with appbackup was copying the backup files of dh4 to my computer and the pasting it to my 5S with ifunbox.

I really don't know what to do when you say:

"You need to make sure all the folders and files have the owner permission of "mobile""

Can you help me with what i should do. I really have no idea. or is it something that it can not be done

Thank You

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Yes, I tried that. I have the game backed up in itunes and also i have dh4 with the progress on my other phone 5C because i restored with the backup from itunes.

I just tried using appbackup. I backedup dungeon hunter 4 with appbackup with my iphone 5C which had the progreess of the game. Then I went to Var/mobile/library/preferences/appbackup and copied everything and paste it in my iphone 5S Appbackup folder. Then I restore dh4 with appbackup in my 5S and it still did not restore the game.

The only way I see to restore the game is restoring from a itunes or icloud backup restore.

I think the game is someway registered to some kind of unique software thing, I really do not know what I am saying. For example, if each time I restore an iphone as new it creates liek a unique ID which is linked or the games register it to that number. I am just guessing, i really do not know what I am saying

Wow I am completely shocked. I've recommended this app to so many people over the past few years and never once did someone tell me it didn't work for them. That is unbelievable. Maybe you are right, there's something else in play. It might have to do with the game's servers.

This is a very long shot, but after you restored the backup on your 5s, did you kill the app from your multitasking tray and then reopen it to see if it worked? Or was the app already come rely killed before you did the backup? I ask because I've had instances where I had to kill the app from the task switcher and then once I launched it again it was fine.

If that doesn't work I'll do some googling to find out. This is strange. That app has never failed me or anyone else that I know. I feel bad that it didn't work haha. I still use that app to this day.

Edit: it sounds like you did it correctly. But just to be sure, did you follow these steps exactly?

http://m.imore.com/app-data-appbackup-jailbreak

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Wow I am completely shocked. I've recommended this app to so many people over the past few years and never once did someone tell me it didn't work for them. That is unbelievable. Maybe you are right, there's something else in play. It might have to do with the game's servers.

This is a very long shot, but after you restored the backup on your 5s, did you kill the app from your multitasking tray and then reopen it to see if it worked? Or was the app already come rely killed before you did the backup? I ask because I've had instances where I had to kill the app from the task switcher and then once I launched it again it was fine.

If that doesn't work I'll do some googling to find out. This is strange. That app has never failed me or anyone else that I know. I feel bad that it didn't work haha. I still use that app to this day.

Hi, Yes. I killed the app from multitasking. I also tried reinstalling the game and then restoring with appbackup. Also, I tried restoring it while installing the game.

I tried testing appbackup with other apps backup and it worked. It looks like that it doesn't work with Dungeon Hunter 4.

it might be soemthing else that doesnt allow to transfer the progress. it seems it only works with restoring from an icloud or itunes backup.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I have the progress in my itunes backup, in my iphone 5c which i can play the progress and in my PC.

I tried restoring the progress copying from computer, copying from my 5c to my 5S and also restoring with appbackup.

What I did with appbackup was copying the backup files of dh4 to my computer and the pasting it to my 5S with ifunbox.

I really don't know what to do when you say:

"You need to make sure all the folders and files have the owner permission of "mobile""

Can you help me with what i should do. I really have no idea. or is it something that it can not be done

Thank You

In iFile, when you tap the arrow to look at the file attributes, scroll down until you see the owner permissions

Does that show mobile or root?

c190WN5.png

edit: hmm, doesn't look like there's any problems with you restoring it. might just be something about the game

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Hi, Yes. I killed the app from multitasking. I also tried reinstalling the game and then restoring with appbackup. Also, I tried restoring it while installing the game.

I tried testing appbackup with other apps backup and it worked. It looks like that it doesn't work with Dungeon Hunter 4.

it might be soemthing else that doesnt allow to transfer the progress. it seems it only works with restoring from an icloud or itunes backup.

Yea makes sense. Although you can easily manually backup games like you tried I just find it easier to use AppBackup. I'm glad you confirmed other apps work. We can at least rule out a bad backup or bad installation, etc. I agree with Darrick, it is probably something specific to this game. When I have time if the games free I'll install it and see if I can figure it out. But it might rely on the game servers to "authenticate" or something unique like that. Sorry I wasn't of any help.

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013
In iFile, when you tap the arrow to look at the file attributes, scroll down until you see the owner permissions

Does that show mobile or root?

edit: hmm, doesn't look like there's any problems with you restoring it. might just be something about the game

I made a screen shot of the folders and other files permission in the dh4 folder while looking in ifile.
the screenshot where taken by taping at the circle with the "i" inside at VAR/mobile/applications/DH4

I am just being very specific so i dont make a mistake in providing the info

Here are the screenshots without any editing. i have more screenshots but only allowed me to upload the first 5

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 173
  • image[1].png
    image[1].png
    76 KB · Views: 140
  • image[2].png
    image[2].png
    76.1 KB · Views: 183
  • image[3].png
    image[3].png
    75.1 KB · Views: 147
  • image[4].png
    image[4].png
    71.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I made a screen shot of the folders and other files permission in the dh4 folder while looking in ifile.
the screenshot where taken by taping at the circle with the "i" inside at VAR/mobile/applications/DH4

I am just being very specific so i dont make a mistake

Here are the screenshots without any editing. i have more screenshots but only allowed me to upload the first 5

Is this the game you are trying to restore? Have you tried following these steps exactly?

http://mobileforum.gameloft.com/archive/index.php/t-126803.html

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Yea makes sense. Although you can easily manually backup games like you tried I just find it easier to use AppBackup. I'm glad you confirmed other apps work. We can at least rule out a bad backup or bad installation, etc. I agree with Darrick, it is probably something specific to this game. When I have time if the games free I'll install it and see if I can figure it out. But it might rely on the game servers to "authenticate" or something unique like that. Sorry I wasn't of any help.

Do not worry, I really apreciate your help. Even if there's no solution I really really honestly apreaciate it

Is this the game you are trying to restore? Have you tried following these steps exactly?

http://mobileforum.gameloft.com/archive/index.php/t-126803.html

Actually i already read that exact thread and tried it a few days ago but it did not work either.

bassett700

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Dingus, VA
Why not try try this on your 5s without involving the 5c at all...

--Assuming it's jailbroken, restore from backup...the backup that had the DH4 information you now want to restore. I understand your iphone problems re-appear when you do this but it's only temporary.

--Install and run Appbackup. Save/copy the Appbackup tree to your computer.

--Clean install 7.1.2 on your 5s again. Jailbreak. Install Appbackup. Transfer backup tree to your 5s.

I may have gotten lost in the prior posts, but it seems like you're restoring your 5c appbackup to the 5s. Granted it takes time, but why not create the backup from the 5s and restore from that same source/device?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012

--Assuming it's jailbroken, restore from backup...the backup that had the DH4 information you now want to restore. I understand your iphone problems re-appear when you do this but it's only temporary.

--Clean install 7.1.2 on your 5s again. Jailbreak. Install Appbackup. Transfer backup tree to your 5s.

I may have gotten lost in the prior posts, but it seems like you're restoring your 5c appbackup to the 5s. Granted it takes time, but why not create the backup from the 5s and restore from that same source/device?

That's a good idea. For what it's worth, I have AppBackup game saves from my 3GS that work on my newer iPhones. However, it is very clear that this game is unique in how it saves the game. And you might just be on to something!

In that thread I posted, granted I didn't read it very carefully, but the post makes it a point to specify some "iCloud" file. Not exactly sure what it means, but maybe that file is reason to believe the saves are device specific. Therefore, you're idea just might work! Haha

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Since game developers make money from in-app purchases, I bet some of them are starting to implement security checks to keep you from doing this sort of thing. It really sucks, since game progress can be very valuable, especially if you spent IAP money to achieve it.

This is one of the reasons I hate IAP. Yeah, I realize devs are making money from gullible people with freemium games, and that's great for them, but I feel like the gaming experience on iOS has diminished since IAP came about. :(

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013

I will try that, originally the game progress came from my 5S, my 5C haves the progress because restored from the itunes 5S backup with progress .

I will try this and ill let you know how it go.

Thank you for the idea.

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You might want to try DiskAid:
http://www.digidna.net/diskaid

Drag DH4 to the desktop, it'll ask you if you want to backup the data too, and you hit yes and let it do its thing. Then you can restore and drag it back in.

The problem might be that you're editing files/permissions in the process with just an app that grabs whatever is within the .app, and of course a game like DH would try and limit any hacking.

becast

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2013

Drag DH4 to the desktop, it'll ask you if you want to backup the data too, and you hit yes and let it do its thing. Then you can restore and drag it back in.

The problem might be that you're editing files/permissions in the process with just an app that grabs whatever is within the .app, and of course a game like DH would try and limit any hacking.

Hi, thank you for the idea, I did exactly what you said buy it also did not work.
Also, thanks for telling me about DiskAid, very easy to use. The only thing i do not like about is that it does not show the progress or notify you if the task started or ended.

I think is not a server thing because if i restore my iphone 5S with the backup where the progress is, it will restore the progress even if i do not go online.

Also I tried deleting the game after using the game progress backup and then installing dh4 again, it would install the game as new(start from the beginning of the game).

Then I pasted the documents folder that i had in my computer into the new installed game again and the progress continued. So I guess is something in the files in the documents folder that registers some kind of ID from the idevice for each new fresh restore even if it is the same phone.

Perhaps changing that certain ID or number would make the progress work in a freshly installed or restored idevice.

Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Hi, thank you for the idea, I did exactly what you said buy it also did not work.
Also, thanks for telling me about DiskAid, very easy to use. The only thing i do not like about is that it does not show the progress or notify you if the task started or ended.

I think is not a server thing because if i restore my iphone 5S with the backup where the progress is, it will restore the progress even if i do not go online.

Also I tried deleting the game after using the game progress backup and then installing dh4 again, it would install the game as new(start from the beginning of the game).

Then I pasted the documents folder that i had in my computer into the new installed game again and the progress continued. So I guess is something in the files in the documents folder that registers some kind of ID from the idevice for each new fresh restore even if it is the same phone.

Perhaps changing that certain ID or number would make the progress work in a freshly installed or restored idevice.

Just curious, did you try bassett's idea?

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
not yet but I will try it, it just that can't restore from backup right now because have some stuff in my phone that i have to use at the moment.

That's cool. Just really curious if that'll work. I use AppBackup very very frequently so if this works, I'd like to make note of it so that if I, or someone I know, run into the same situation as you I'll have a potential solution.

If you try please post your results. Good luck.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014

Thank you for this :)

I have an expensive application that after 12 months you can keep the information that you've already downloaded on the app but if you ever restore your device then you are SOL unless you purchase another 12 month subscription.

I was able to use DiskAid to save the app & it's data to my Mac, unjailbroke my iPhone with a restore (and then restore from backup), then used DiskAid to put the app and all the information it had back on my phone! :woot:

p.s. at first I tried to not restore from backup (simply as a brand new clean device) but when I would put the application back on my phone using DiskAid it would crash whenever I would open it. So anyone trying this just know you have to restore from backup.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Is appbackup ios7 compatible?

Yes I've been using it without any issues. The OP confirmed it works with other games just not DH4 for some stranger reason.

Personally I haven't installed it yet on 7.1.2 because I've been busy with work and school but it worked in previous 7.x versions. When I have time to continue playing one of my games I'll install AppBackup and download the game.

----------

Thank you for this :)

I have an expensive application that after 12 months you can keep the information that you've already downloaded on the app but if you ever restore your device then you are SOL unless you purchase another 12 month subscription.

I was able to use DiskAid to save the app & it's data to my Mac, unjailbroke my iPhone with a restore (and then restore from backup), then used DiskAid to put the app and all the information it had back on my phone! :woot:

p.s. at first I tried to not restore from backup (simply as a brand new clean device) but when I would put the application back on my phone using DiskAid it would crash whenever I would open it. So anyone trying this just know you have to restore from backup.

Yes that's why I use AppBackup. I prefer to restore as new so this Cydia app makes that super easy. Then I just use iCloud to sync my contacts, reminders, calendars, safari data, etc.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014

Yes that's why I use AppBackup. I prefer to restore as new so this Cydia app makes that super easy. Then I just use iCloud to sync my contacts, reminders, calendars, safari data, etc.

Interesting, thank you for the information as I wanted to wipe my phone completely clean (not from backup) and keep my expensive app (plus its data) but that wasn't possible with DiskAid.

The only tricky part is that I don't want to be jailbroken anymore, but AppBackup will work to allow me to restore completely clean (not possible on DiskAid) and still keep the data on my expensive app:
1) Jailbreak my iPhone in its current state
2) Install AppBackup
3) Backup expensive app (plus its data)
4) Wipe phone clean with restore as new
5) Jailbreak again
6) Install AppBackup again
7) Install expensive app (plus it's data)
8) Make backup in iTunes of basically stock iPhone (just 1 app)
9) Use DiskAid to transfer expensive app (plus its data) to my mac
10) Restore in iTunes from backup made at step 8
11) Use DiskAid to put the expensive app (plus its data) back on my nearly stock phone! :D

Hope this works. But worst case scenario I simply restore my phone from a previous backup that actually works with DiskAid. Both apps play their part in this scenario as AppBackup lets you keep the data on your app when restoring brand new, yet DiskAid allows you to keep the data on your app even if you aren't jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.