Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I just got the message "Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “MacMini”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you." on my rMBP connected to my mini server. I tried the fixes listed on so sights but just read on the excellent site http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html, that it is pretty much gone. Now that I need to start over I am questing the whole running time machine from OS X server thing. I wondering on our two MacBooks that are the server clients if I am better off just connecting the time machine disk vis usb when we plug the in to charge.
Has anyone found Time Machine to be unreliable when running OS X server? I have the latest updates and versions.

kacl780tr

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
Server 3.1.2 on 10.9.4 should be avoided

Has anyone found Time Machine to be unreliable when running OS X server? I have the latest updates and versions.

Yes, I have discovered, in a manner not dissimilar to yours, that some combination of 10.9.4 and Server 3.1.2 have some serious issues. I lost a multi-terabyte backup series that stretched back some years. Bummer. I didn't get the same message as you did though, in my case TM just got wedged.

I have since downgraded my Mini to 10.9.2 and Server 3.1.1, and it all seems to be working nicely again.

I reported my issue to Apple and, to my complete surprise, received a request to send them my server logs.

Unfortunately I know of no way to help in recovering your backups, although Alsoft Diskwarrior claims to be able to recover time machine backups. It didn't work for me, however.

My plan from now on is to maintain multiple TM sequences. We'll see how that goes.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Unfortunately I know of no way to help in recovering your backups, although Alsoft Diskwarrior claims to be able to recover time machine backups. It didn't work for me, however.

I did try diskwarrior and it said it fix some issues, however I still got the same message when I tried to run time machine.

So for now I am starting over and also rotating a usb drive connected directly to my main machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.