Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totally

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
West Coast = Best Coast
Hey, so I recently bought a new Mac and it came with one of those $100 gift cards. Normally I would use it on something like a case but after searching, the apple store didn't carry what I wanted, so I still have the gift card. So next would be an external hard drive.

Do people have ones that they like? Curious about both how well they function and if they look neat :p. It's ok if it's a little more than the gift card or less.

Could there be anything else I'm not thinking of that I should use the card on?

Thanks for reading!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
A good candidate is a Time Capsule so you have a HD for backups via ethernet or wifi and have a small router for connecting to the internet, printers, and other devices. Get one at the Apple refurb store and save a few bucks.

Another candidate is a magic mouse. I find it much easier to do detailed work with a mouse than a trackpad.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So next would be an external hard drive.

Do people have ones that they like? Curious about both how well they function and if they look neat :p. It's ok if it's a little more than the gift card or less.

All hard drives any more are pretty much made by either Western Digital or Seagate (they bought our everybody else). So all these drive like Porsche Design etc are just WD or Seagate drives with a pretty case that you pay extra for.

I would just get whatever WD or Seagate USB3 external drive you can get the best price on in the size you want.

Then first thing format the entire disk to the Mac OS Extended format and don't use any of the junk software that comes on the drives sometimes.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
There are plenty of options for an external hard drives you can find by using the search function on the forums. One option I would suggest is selling the card. I sold mine on here for 90% of its value very easily, and that would open up the option of buying from Amazon (possibly cheaper prices).

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
All hard drives any more are pretty much made by either Western Digital or Seagate (they bought our everybody else). So all these drive like Porsche Design etc are just WD or Seagate drives with a pretty case that you pay extra for.

FYI, LaCie is owned by Seagate, so you get Seagate drives in LaCie externals...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.