Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Hello, I'm new here (so I hope this is the place to post).
Lately, I wanted to update some apps, and like in every time I do it, I was requested to sign in with my Apple ID and Password. The strange thing is that it shows me an email which I don't recognize and I can't change it.
Someone has an idea?
I looked at the System Preferences trying to find out a reason, but I don't find any clue for the strange email on my mac (like in Users & Groups or Security & Privacy).
Hacked?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hello, I'm new here (so I hope this is the place to post).
Lately, I wanted to update some apps, and like in every time I do it, I was requested to sign in with my Apple ID and Password. The strange thing is that it shows me an email which I don't recognize and I can't change it.
Someone has an idea?
I looked at the System Preferences trying to find out a reason, but I don't find any clue for the strange email on my mac (like in Users & Groups or Security & Privacy).
Hacked?

Did you buy all of your apps yourself or did you download them from elsewhere? If they weren't bought with your Apple ID, then the email showing is likely that of the person that did buy the app.

macnit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
I understand what you say and I thought about it. As I know for this moment, no one used my mac (and don't think it's possible. It's located in my room). Also, I've never downloaded apps form elsewhere.
I did buy my mac second hand, but I don't think it matters because the former owner's email was different (though, the domain name is the same, like the "stranger email"... I became paranoid...) and it's been a year and a half since than.
Since I bought it, I downloaded and updated apps only by myself. And again, no one used/uses it .

I just noticed that I can download apps with my own email. But when it tells me to update apps (such as iMovie or something) I'm requested to fill the password of the strange email.

dan1eln1el5en

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
the easy "check and fix" would be to delete the app and re-download it, while signed in with your e-mail, then that app belongs to you and can be updated.
but if you don't own that app, then you have to pay for it...

the app came with the computer "bought" by the previous owner and thus can't be updated since it requires the previous owners password.

macnit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
the easy "check and fix" would be to delete the app and re-download it, while signed in with your e-mail, then that app belongs to you and can be updated.
but if you don't own that app, then you have to pay for it...

the app came with the computer "bought" by the previous owner and thus can't be updated since it requires the previous owners password.

Well, perhaps that's the reason. I tried deleting iMovie (and now if I want it, I need to pay for this). I guess the former owner of the mac, or someone else, used this Apple ID.
So, theoretically, if you delete apps that came with the Mac, you need to pay for downloading them.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Well, perhaps that's the reason. I tried deleting iMovie (and now if I want it, I need to pay for this). I guess the former owner of the mac, or someone else, used this Apple ID.
So, theoretically, if you delete apps that came with the Mac, you need to pay for downloading them.

No. When a Mac is purchased the preinstalled programs like iLife (iMovie, iPhoto, Garageband) are then linked to the Apple ID first used to register the computer. The apps follow that ID and not that computer.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I think if a full restore is done it's handled as a new computer = free apps.

but not sure...

This is true. If a correct full restore of the system is done it then goes through the regular setup process as if it were new.

My guess is that the former owner didn't clean their computer properly before selling it to you which is why this is happening.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This is true. If a correct full restore of the system is done it then goes through the regular setup process as if it were new.

My guess is that the former owner didn't clean their computer properly before selling it to you which is why this is happening.

Reinstalling via the Recovery Partition or Internet Recovery does not reinstall the apps so the new owner can link their ID to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.