Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Are the accessories! Granted I own a Note 3 and fully expected the amount of accessories would be far less than say the the iPhone or the small Android phones out there. However this has me seriously considering a return to the iPhone 6 5.5". I love Android and the form factor of the Note 3, however I miss the endless supply of accessories the iPhone has. Anyone else out there considering a return to the iPhone because of this?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Are the accessories! Granted I own a Note 3 and fully expected the amount of accessories would be far less than say the the iPhone or the small Android phones out there. However this has me seriously considering a return to the iPhone 6 5.5". I love Android and the form factor of the Note 3, however I miss the endless supply of accessories the iPhone has. Anyone else out there considering a return to the iPhone because of this?
I assume you are referring to iPhone/iPad specific accessories like cases and lightning port devices, because BT related accessories can be used with pretty much anything.
iPhone has had a huge amount of cases, because the form factor doesn't change very often. If I built a case for the iPhone 4, I knew it would be able to sell (unchanged) for a minimum of 2 years. And lets face it, in the past, an iPhone 4 looked like an iPhone 5, which looked like an iPhone 4S, which looked like an iPhone 5S. You couldn't really make an iPhone look unique without adding a case. Android phones come in all shapes and sizes, some with replaceable colored battery covers, some like Moto X Moto Maker made every phone unique, and so on. There is a huge demand for iPhone cases by girls especially! Bedazzle FTW. :D

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
No. When choosing a device, accessories are very far down my list. I buy a case and a screen protector and I'm good to go. Don't need 3,934 options.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I like that the 5/5s have cradles again now (though Apple went a year without cradles), but that's the only accessory I care about.

The huge advantage IMO is the ability to sync with iTunes/PCs, and podcast support in particular. BUT Apple really trashed podcast support in iOS 7 to the point where I carried a separate iPod classic with my 5s anyway.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No. When choosing a device, accessories are very far down my list. I buy a case and a screen protector and I'm good to go. Don't need 3,934 options.

It is for me as well. I don't think I've ever purchased anything other than extra chargers and cases, but it is nice to have the option.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Considering the vast majority of users only buy a case and/or screen protector for their phone, it's not that significant of an advantage.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not really true at all

Mobile fun Web site has loads of accessories that come with the note 3 in the UK

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
You must only mean in stores because online you can find many accessories for any phone.

As long as you can find one good case and screen protector, the accessories shouldn't be a deciding factor.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I have bought only a book cover case for my Note 10.1 as an accessory. And then I use general BT headset/keyboard/mouse. I dont prefer "made for x" because I want to use them with other devices too. So no, im not interested in an amount of accessories, but im interested to know, if the device use a general protocol to connect over bt as android does.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
If I do switch back to an iPhone, it won't be because of the accessories, but I will be honest with you - it would probably be one of my top 10 reasons. I'm an accessories gal. I love accessorizing my electronics. I actually won't buy a phone unless I know there are screen protectors, cases/skins, from companies I like (I'm picky) available for said phone.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
If I do switch back to an iPhone, it won't be because of the accessories, but I will be honest with you - it would probably be one of my top 10 reasons. I'm an accessories gal. I love accessorizing my electronics. I actually won't buy a phone unless I know there are screen protectors, cases/skins, from companies I like (I'm picky) available for said phone.

IMO, a pretty moot point considering all the major players in the screen protector/case market provide products for all the flagship phones.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Do you guys use screen protectors? I used to back on my Palms (still love those) but since we've switched to glass screens for most things, I haven't found them necessary.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
The only accessories I use are a belt pouch, car charger, car mount and extended battery. The belt pouch I use already can fit either my Galaxy S3 or iPhone 5S. My iPhone is my work phone, so I don't use it while driving (for GPS). My car charger I bought for my old HTC phone and it still works with my Galaxy S3. If I switched to an iPhone for my personal phone, I'd have to buy another car charger as the iPhone does not use standard connectors. The car mount is also universal. I got a different one for my Galaxy S3 as my old one broke.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Do you guys use screen protectors? I used to back on my Palms (still love those) but since we've switched to glass screens for most things, I haven't found them necessary.

Now that I have a Flip case for my phone I don't.

I can't imagine not having some kind of flip or cover case at this point. They're great! Only accessory I care about (unless Smartwatches are considered accessories).

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
iPhones hold a 41% market share in the US. Imagine if the Samsung Galaxy S-line held a 41% market share. There'd be a *****-load of accessories for the Galaxy line if that were the case.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
iPhones hold a 41% market share in the US. Imagine if the Samsung Galaxy S-line held a 41% market share. There'd be a *****-load of accessories for the Galaxy line if that were the case.

There are a crap ton. I see galaxy S line accessories all over the place. Not to mention the adverts that seem to be in every international airport here in the U.S.

By the way, Samsung S and Note series phones are approaching 30% market share in the U.S.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Not true. Every flagship Galaxy phone has TONS and TONS of accessories you can buy. It's either iPhone or Samsung stuff these days. That's it.

Best Buy has an entire section of their stores dedicated to Galaxy stuff nowadays...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I love to accessorise and samsung galaxy flagship phones have tons of accessories.

I'd say the only advantage is the iTunes TV show content, which is greater than that of the play store at least in the UK anyway.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
iPhones also have a native full backup solution. Very important.

In my eyes, this and the ease with ease with which you can restore that backup to a new device is where iOS has it's most significant advantage over Android.

A large accesories ecosystem is nice, but doesn't really have a major influence in my decisions on what device to buy.

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013

Same here, I only use screen protector and a simple case. After 3-4 months when I don't feel my phone like new anymore, I use it naked without any case.

iPhones also have a native full backup solution. Very important.

When I bought my iPhone 4S, I backed up my iPhone 4 data on iTunes and restore it to 4S. It restored perfectly including my data, application, even setting and app icon position. I felt like I don't change my phone at all. But thats a good thing.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Same here, I only use screen protector and a simple case. After 3-4 months when I don't feel my phone like new anymore, I use it naked without any case.

When I bought my iPhone 4S, I backed up my iPhone 4 data on iTunes and restore it to 4S. It restored perfectly including my data, application, even setting and app icon position. I felt like I don't change my phone at all. But thats a good thing.

Yup. Having basically a system image as a backup is really nice and convenient. It's a big feature IMO.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I never have a problem finding things for Android phones. Chargers are easy to find, cases, screen protectors, headphones, wireless chargers(though ive never bought one).....what else is there that you need? You would have to be more specific because im no following how that would be a factor at all.

Its never a factor for me when choosing a phone. Ill be able to find what i need.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.