Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There is a mod available, that will prevent multiple people from reporting the same post. Once a post has been reported, the triangle ability disappears for the post in question. I think it would come in hand for the site. It would also cut down on the email notification or thread creation in the mod cave, every time a post is reported. I use it on another site and it works well.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
We prefer allowing multiple reports. It can help triage reports...when we see multiple reports on the same post, it's probably something that needs dealt with ASAP.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I agree with WC. Having multiple reports on the same post is helpful in identifying serious problems quicker. Plus, it's no inconvenience whatsoever for us.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Multiple reports do not hamper our moderation duties, but in fact as WC mentioned help prioritize what needs to be handled. :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Not to mention that some reports are more "substantial" than others. If the first report of a post is "Die Spammer!" and the next one backs that up with discussion or links I want to see the more detailed one.

B

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Not to mention that some reports are more "substantial" than others. If the first report of a post is "Die Spammer!" and the next one backs that up with discussion or links I want to see the more detailed one.

B

Doesn't the report come with a link to the post in question, where a mod can view the post and the comment made by the person reporting? And in your example, a moderator can easily see the recent post history of one being reported, whereby having members cut and paste examples from various threads really shouldn't be necessary. In regards to other issues such as harassing others or being a troll, having links can definitely save time.

When a report is made on our site, all of the staff is emailed and a thread is automatically created detailing who made the report, their email address and the post and link in question. Once the post has been reviewed by at least two mods for concurrence, the reported thread is locked. That way we know the issue has been resolved. If there is still some question as to concurrence, further mod input is requested. A lot of the time we do get commentary as to why a post was reported. And often times, the commentary is needless rhetoric that does not help us.

As long as the staff is happy with the current setup, that is all that really matters. I appreciate the replies.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
We could choose to get emails when new reports are made, But I don't think any of us do. There is no way I'd want my inbox being flooded with the constant flow of reports every day.

I check in to the appropriate forum for open reports when I feel like it and/or watch the Forum Spy for reports scrolling by and handle them that way too. I believe the others follow a similar method.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
We could choose to get emails when new reports are made, But I don't think any of us do. There is no way I'd want my inbox being flooded with the constant flow of reports every day.

I check in to the appropriate forum for open reports when I feel like it and/or watch the Forum Spy for reports scrolling by and handle them that way too. I believe the others follow a similar method.

Yup. I think we all have a similar workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.