Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
Hi!

I'm going to university in September and I'm considering buying a MacBook Pro (the basic retina model) to use there. I was originally going to wait for the end of this year, when I assumed a new MacBook Pro model would come out, hoping that the current model's price would be cut.

However, given the recent boosts that the MacBook Pro models got, and the £100 price drop on the basic model (I'm in the UK), would it be better just to buy it now? Is another release at the end of this year likely any more?

Thanks!

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
I'd buy the updated rMBP.

Free upgrade of RAM+slight boost in CPU+lower price= Value for money.

If you can find an even cheaper refurb model, then toads.

;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is another release at the end of this year likely any more?
No, this was it, thanks to Intel's inability to produce the Broadwell chipset on time.

Go and buy your machine now, waiting won't help you at this point.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Go for it right now! The computer will treat you well for years to come. You'd probably be waiting until around Spring for a refresh of some kind.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
Thanks for your replies!

I'd buy the updated rMBP.

Free upgrade of RAM+slight boost in CPU+lower price= Value for money.

If you can find an even cheaper refurb model, then toads.

;)

Is it already possible to find a refurbished mid-2014 model?

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I would get a 2013 rmbp on sale.
They are dirt cheap now and almost the same as the 2014 version

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
depends on your country.
Here in germany you just missed mediamarkts 3day 19% off sale.
A 2.4/8/256 rmbp was only 1060€ all inclusive. I payed 430€ more 10 months ago.

Great, thanks! I'll have a look around.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I would get it now so you have it before September. Waiting for Broadwell just means you go longer without it.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Hi!

I'm going to university in September and I'm considering buying a MacBook Pro (the basic retina model) to use there. I was originally going to wait for the end of this year, when I assumed a new MacBook Pro model would come out, hoping that the current model's price would be cut.

However, given the recent boosts that the MacBook Pro models got, and the £100 price drop on the basic model (I'm in the UK), would it be better just to buy it now? Is another release at the end of this year likely any more?

Thanks!

Buy it at university, using the educational store online. Go to the Apple Store when on university campus (or use a VPN to browse the store via your university if you have a log in and access to that feature already). Navigate via the "find your institution" link on the education store and you'll be eligible for the student discount and you'll get three years of AppleCare for free.

For UK students I think this is the best deal, especially if you want a laptop.

As far as which one to get? The recently bumped Haswell Macbook Pros are excellent machines and will be more than capable for what you need. I'd personally stump up for the 13" that is just above the basic one (i.e., get the one with 256GB of storage) if you're going for the 13" - I have one (a Late 2013 version) and it has been a stellar workhorse for me on campus (I am a PhD student).

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
Buy it at university, using the educational store online. Go to the Apple Store when on university campus (or use a VPN to browse the store via your university if you have a log in and access to that feature already). Navigate via the "find your institution" link on the education store and you'll be eligible for the student discount and you'll get three years of AppleCare for free.

For UK students I think this is the best deal, especially if you want a laptop.

As far as which one to get? The recently bumped Haswell Macbook Pros are excellent machines and will be more than capable for what you need. I'd personally stump up for the 13" that is just above the basic one (i.e., get the one with 256GB of storage) if you're going for the 13" - I have one (a Late 2013 version) and it has been a stellar workhorse for me on campus (I am a PhD student).

Thanks for the advice! :)

AnonDP

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
- Wait until you start uni / get your student card or go to the Apple store with a freind who is a student.

- Acquire student discount @ 14% off Macbooks w/ 75% off AppleCare (if it turns out ordering online does not give free 3 year warrenty)

- Unsure when the back to school promotion ends, but if you fall within the window use the £60 gift card to buy your AppleCare

- Enjoy

BONUS CONTENT - TAKE YOUR PICK:

2014 rMBP 13" base w/ discount + £60 card = £859
2014 rMBP 13" mid w/ discount + £60 card = £1,031
2014 rMBP 15" base w/ discount + £60 card = £1375

AnonDP

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
Thanks! ;) Are you saying I should try online first to see if I get AppleCare for free?

Personally, I would just go to the store and purchase and use the gift card for AppleCare (£60 apple gift card to me isn't all that useful).
But I have heard on numerous occasions about this 3 year warrenty online, I asked on chat once but the online 'genius' was oblivious to this idea.

Going to a store and purchasing (if it's within a reasonable distance) beats ordering online IMO

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
Personally, I would just go to the store and purchase and use the gift card for AppleCare (£60 apple gift card to me isn't all that useful).
But I have heard on numerous occasions about this 3 year warrenty online, I asked on chat once but the online 'genius' was oblivious to this idea.

Going to a store and purchasing (if it's within a reasonable distance) beats ordering online IMO

Sounds good! Thanks again for your help :)

AnonDP

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
Sounds good! Thanks again for your help :)

No worries.
Also you know which model you want? If you have not seen the 13" and 15" side by side in person I would have a browse in store (Apple, John Lewis, Currys or PC World should have them on display)

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Thanks! ;) Are you saying I should try online first to see if I get AppleCare for free?

You do get a special form of three year warranty as part of the UK higher education agreement if you buy online in the UK using the education store.

I have done this for five separate machines in the past couple of years.

It is effectively AppleCare, but not quite. With AppleCare you get hardware warranty and free phone support. The HE agreement drops the phone support but leaves in the 3 year hardware warranty.

Here is a link to a guy on MR talking about it, and it's still the same today as it was then:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/928612/

----------

- Wait until you start uni / get your student card or go to the Apple store with a freind who is a student.

- Acquire student discount @ 14% off Macbooks w/ 75% off AppleCare (if it turns out ordering online does not give free 3 year warrenty)

- Unsure when the back to school promotion ends, but if you fall within the window use the £60 gift card to buy your AppleCare

- Enjoy

BONUS CONTENT - TAKE YOUR PICK:

2014 rMBP 13" base w/ discount + £60 card = £859
2014 rMBP 13" mid w/ discount + £60 card = £1,031
2014 rMBP 15" base w/ discount + £60 card = £1375

This is false, you do get a free three year warranty. I have done this five times since 2012 (a Late 2012 iMac, and 4 13" rMBPs).

See here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/928612/

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 31, 2014
You do get a special form of three year warranty as part of the UK higher education agreement if you buy online in the UK using the education store.

Thanks! :cool: What would I get if I bought the laptop directly in the store?

----------

No worries.
Also you know which model you want? If you have not seen the 13" and 15" side by side in person I would have a browse in store (Apple, John Lewis, Currys or PC World should have them on display)

I actually had a look in-store last year when they released the 2013 models, so I'm going to go for a 13" (more portable & I won't need it for super-intensive tasks :) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.