Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Will there be any one feature that the Iphone 6 has that will prevent you from buying it? I have been racking my brain trying to figure it out. It certainly looks like the screen size ( 4.7 or 5.5 ) will be adequate. If the resolution of the phone is not at least close to 1080P ( rumors of 1704x960 ), that might do it, but Apple has been very good with color accuracy, viewing angles and brightness. If the battery is proven to be less than stellar, is that a deal breaker? Apple will probably make sure that the combination of battery size and resolution get us through a full day without a charge. IOS has worked well for me in the past and IOS 8 will probably be fine.

I think the only real deal breaker for me would be the size of the 5.5 inch phone. It could be monster big, compared to other phones.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If it only had the 5S features I would be happy as I am mainly looking forward to a little larger screen. Do not care about thinner and would leave it the same as the 5S to have more battery and maybe a better camera lens. Thin is getting out of control in my opinion, rather structural integrity! :eek:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Will there be any one feature that the Iphone 6 has that will prevent you from buying it?
I think that determination is a little premature since the iPhone 6 hasn't even been released yet.

True, we know some of the what apple will probably do, but I'll reserve the judgement on what may or may not be show stoppers until I actually see what the iPhone 6 has feature wise.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The size is a dealbreaker for me.

I love the size of the 4s and the 5c was still alright. Any bigger is a nogo for me.

I wish :apple: would release a much cheaper, speced down, small iphone. Id buy that in a heartbeat.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Deal breaker will be if Apple makes the earpiece speaker so low that it requires bunny ears to hear incoming callers as many manufacturers are doing to protect from litigation.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
If the resolution of the phone is not at least close to 1080P

I don't understand this. Smartphone screen resolution has become completely irrelevant. We no longer see the individual pixels on our screens. It's over. Move on to something else.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I wish :apple: would release a much cheaper, speced down, small iphone. Id buy that in a heartbeat.

That won't happen. They are not going to make things harder on developers. Its already often a pain to get a design that works and scales well to both the 3.5" and 4" display.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Less than 2GB of RAM, and loose volume/power/mute buttons will be a dealbreaker for me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
How would you know about loose power buttons? Someone posts they have a loose power button and it's a deal breaker?

As far as ram, I'm expecting 1.5 gig.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Size may be a deal breaker for me. If the screen size isn't bigger I may hold out for a while. Especially since from here on out I'm buying my phones outright.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
How would you know about loose power buttons? Someone posts they have a loose power button and it's a deal breaker?

As far as ram, I'm expecting 1.5 gig.

No, I would buy the i6 off contract in an Apple store and inspect it before I leave. If they bring out a slew with loose buttons, then I would leave empty handed. I made the mistake of buying my iPhone 5 mail order and after sending the *fifth* one back due to loose buttons, they said that they wouldn't send any more out. As two of the five had scratches out of the box too, and my 6th 'just' had the loose buttons, I figured that I would just live with it...but I won't do that again. The iPhone 6 will be perfect, or I'm getting an Android device.

stevejobz

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2014
I dont like the fact that this is going to be a bigger phone again. I am also another one of the people who are a fan of the iphone 4 and iphone 5c sizes. I wish they would release a size like that again.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't understand this. Smartphone screen resolution has become completely irrelevant. We no longer see the individual pixels on our screens. It's over. Move on to something else.

I can't see individual pixels on my 55" 1080p TV. That doesn't stop 4K from looking noticeably better, extremely noticeably better at that.

Then you have the people that would like a standard all in one video resolution ie 1920x1080.

That said it's not a deal breaker for me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Does it impact you? You may be in the category of people that no matter how much memory is on the phone, it's not enough. This will always happen as long there the 5S does not support paging (like windows), someone will use the iphone in such a way as to deplete memory.

I rarely see those on my 5S and I have to wonder exactly how it impacted me.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
I can't see individual pixels on my 55" 1080p TV. That doesn't stop 4K from looking noticeably better, extremely noticeably better at that.

Actually, you probably can see the individual pixels on your TV. The pixel density of a 55" 1080p TV is much lower than a 4"-5" 1080p phone.

55" 1920x1080 -> 40.05 PPI
4" 1136x640 (iPhone 5s) -> 325.97 PPI

Notice how, the iPhone has 1,346,560 less pixels than a 55" 1080p HDTV, yet has 8x the PPI. That is why you can see a significant difference between 1080p and 4k on a 55" display.

A 5.5" 1080p display would only bump you up to 400.53 PPI, and would not be as noticeable as 1080p -> 4k on a 55" HDTV, if at all. I am not saying it would not be noticeable, but it probably would not be as "shocking" as you might be thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

tl;dr Everything is relative.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Actually, you probably can see the individual pixels on your TV. The pixel density of a 55" 1080p TV is much lower than a 4"-5" 1080p phone.

55" 1920x1080 -> 40.05 PPI
4" 1136x640 (iPhone 5s) -> 325.97 PPI

Notice how, the iPhone has 1,346,560 less pixels than a 55" 1080p HDTV, yet has 8x the PPI. That is why you can see a significant difference between 1080p and 4k on a 55" display.

A 5.5" 1080p display would only bump you up to 400.53 PPI, and would not be as noticeable as 1080p -> 4k on a 55" HDTV, if at all. I am not saying it would not be noticeable, but it probably would not be as "shocking" as you might be thinking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

tl;dr Everything is relative.

I can't see individual pixels on the 1080p TV because I sit across the room from it. Same applies to 4K.

Narien

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I think that determination is a little premature since the iPhone 6 hasn't even been released yet.

True, we know some of the what apple will probably do, but I'll reserve the judgement on what may or may not be show stoppers until I actually see what the iPhone 6 has feature wise.

Isn't that kind of the point? The question isn't "why do you not want the ip6, but what feature would make you not want it".

I'll give you an example, Apple adopting android as their new mobile OS, that would be a dealbreaker for a lot of ppl. Now search your heart and find out what will make you say NO to apple!

PiZauL

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
As a T-mobile user, a minor deal breaker would be if it doesn't support band 12. They should be lighting up their 700mhz network end of the year, so def want to take advantage of the additional coverage and actually get service in buildings..

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I've been an iPhone owner since 2007, had the original iPhone, then iPhone 3G, then iPhone 4, and now iPhone 5. IF Apple doesn't really knock it out of the park, I'm afraid, unfortunately I'm going to have to move on to another phone. Having played with the Samsung Galaxy S5, that to me, is currently the best phone out there at this moment. Having just come back from vacation, and looking at my photos, compared to what photos I saw on someone's S5 during that vacation, the difference is astounding, the S5 takes such amazing photos. Then watching Youtube on that beautiful screen, or movies, it's just amazing. The iPhone 5 looks like a toy compared to the Galaxy S5. Though I prefer iOS more than the Android OS, I have an Android tablet, so I'm quite used to the Androis OS.

Apple REALLY has to crush a grand slam with the iPhone 6.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've been an iPhone owner since 2007, had the original iPhone, then iPhone 3G, then iPhone 4, and now iPhone 5. IF Apple doesn't really knock it out of the park, I'm afraid, unfortunately I'm going to have to move on to another phone. Having played with the Samsung Galaxy S5, that to me, is currently the best phone out there at this moment. Having just come back from vacation, and looking at my photos, compared to what photos I saw on someone's S5 during that vacation, the difference is astounding, the S5 takes such amazing photos. Then watching Youtube on that beautiful screen, or movies, it's just amazing. The iPhone 5 looks like a toy compared to the Galaxy S5. Though I prefer iOS more than the Android OS, I have an Android tablet, so I'm quite used to the Androis OS.

Apple REALLY has to crush a grand slam with the iPhone 6.

Don't let iOS7Guy see you waxing lyrical about the S5's camera hehe. He won't hear that it's better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.