Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Coppertino today updated its popular Vox music player to version 2.1, adding SoundCloud integration and new options for organizing music. Vox now has the ability to stream HQ/FLAC/Lossless music from SoundCloud, giving users a way to listen to high quality music uploaded to SoundCloud.

According to Coppertino founder Ivan Ablamskiy, Vox is the only third-party music player that allows users to access and play original lossless files from SoundCloud.

voxmusicsoundcloud.jpg
Along with SoundCloud integration, Vox has also gained some new interface updates that make it easier to access and create playlists within the app, including "Collections," a new way to intuitively organize music. A full list of updated features can be found below:
- Updated and improved modern and clean interface;
- Ability to stream SoundCloud files in high quality music formats (when the original file is a lossless or HQ audio file);
- Simplified access to all playlists, including iTunes;
- Convenient creation and management of playlists within VOX;
- Custom playlists from various sources;
- Easily queue a song to play it next;
- Full access to the largest database of radio stations and music from all over the world;
- Redesigned and more intelligent 'Search' capability;
- Numerous bug fixes and more.
Originally launched in August of 2013, Vox is a simple music player designed to serve as a replacement for the music player built into iTunes. It supports a wide variety of audio formats, including MP3, FLAC, AAC, Musepack, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, and more. Vox has the ability to import an existing iTunes library with metadata included and it also offers a built-in equalizer, radio connectivity, and gapless playback.

While Vox is currently limited to the Mac, Coppertino is working on an iOS app that's expected to debut in the fall. According to a source that spoke to MacRumors, Coppertino is also working on an upcoming cloud music service, designed to allow Vox users to access their music on both the iPhone and Mac. The service will reportedly include unlimited music storage for a small yearly fee, with the ability to store any type of audio file, including HD.

The newly updated Vox app for the Mac is available from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Vox Music Player Updated With SoundCloud Integration, New Organizational Features

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Perfect timing. I just started using this app yesterday. I am really looking forward to their iOS app.

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
A cloud-based locker streaming service and an iOS app? This may be the answer to iTunes Match for those of us who are too picky to deal with Apple's flaw-filled matching algorithms.

Art0fLife

macrumors member
May 31, 2014
I've been using Vox since Coppertino first put it in the app store. It's one of the rare cases where an app is SO brilliant that I wish there was a way to pay for it. At the time I got it, the only way to pay was to get the radio streaming service for 99 cents. I don't even use it, but the app is so good I wanted to pay. I wish they made more apps than they do. Can't wait to see how this update compares, wasn't impressed with Match at all.

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
I've been using Vox since Coppertino first put it in the app store. It's one of the rare cases where an app is SO brilliant that I wish there was a way to pay for it. At the time I got it, the only way to pay was to get the radio streaming service for 99 cents. I don't even use it, but the app is so good I wanted to pay. I wish they made more apps than they do. Can't wait to see how this update compares, wasn't impressed with Match at all.

The radio now costs $2.99. But alas, you can only purchase it once. Well, you're in luck! I will gladly let you send me the money to purchase radio for my account! This would increase your total donation from $1 to $4! Aren't you glad you have friends like me?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Can this Vox player serve my AppleTV units? If not, it's NOT a replacement for iTunes. I don't sit on my computer listening to music that much. I sit in my music room or home theater room to listen to music or watch a movie. I'd LOVE a "true" replacement for iTunes so long as it has at least as many features. Notably, iTunes lacks not only FLAC playback, but on the video end AVI and MKV formats. Frankly, I wish Apple would just support more formats and I wouldn't need inferior players like XBMC (that can't even manage to play my 24/96 LP rips I just made without a buffering/pause unless I convert the AIFF files to FLAC first (whereas Apple's own ATV interface has no issue playing them, even if it is down-converting them to 48kHz first)

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Does anyone know if Vox supports exporting play counts from Vox to iTunes? That would be a killer feature. I remember Ecoute had this and it would automatically sync play counts from Ecoute to iTunes so all play counts would be equal on both Ecoute + iTunes. It's why I used Ecoute for the longest time.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Here's hoping it actually has full Unicode support now.

And... it doesn't. Maybe you guys should focus on the important stuff for audio players like, y'know, audio file compatibility before adding ridiculous features like lossless audio streaming (but thanks for supporting the next big thing in audiophile snake-oil)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
By no means an itunes replacement, window displays way too little, not a good player at all.

Give me back iTunes music player as it was way in the beginning, not this bloathed iTunes 10-11-12 crap.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

I tried it yesterday. Yes, you can send stuff via Airplay to an AppleTV, but that's not the same as sharing your library of videos with AppleTV in a way that it can access it on its own. Besides, VOX appears to be audio only and frankly after trying the interface, I concluded it's too difficult to manage a large library. There are zero provisions for sort by things other than artist or album and it won't sort created playlists from other sources than iTunes differentiated by album with some kind of delimiters to show at a glance where one album starts and another ends since it just keeps the track numbers going on forever). In short, it's more difficult to find music I might be looking for compared to iTunes without resorting to a search (which iTunes can also do). Frankly, I don't see what is compelling about this player to people other than being "smaller" with less features for those that don't do video, etc. as well. I'm still stuck with iTunes regardless to maintain any iOS devices and feed video to ATVs that aren't running XBMC.

I kept a copy around anyway, though since it can play FLAC files directly and its interface still seems preferable to VLC's. Really, though, I can just use ALAC instead of FLAC and convert any FLAC I already have to ALAC using XLD and then iTunes can use them directly except for the fact that I don't like maintaining duplicates and I keep AAC versions for car/iPod use and leave LP 24/96 conversions in their own directories for XBMC to handle, but XBMC is pretty much a PITA to use for desktop type use while doing something else, IMO).

Actually XLD will convert just about any audio format to any other format with ease. FLAC does have one advantage over ALAC, though and that is the ability to encode multi-channel music. I can use DTS with my 1st Gen ATVs and XBMC, but regular DTS is lossy.

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
The app should go live in the Mac App Store at anytime now, but you guys can download the new version immediately here: http://coppertino.com/getVox/

Thanks for the link, 2.1 installs fine. However, the DMG file mounts as a volume called "Vox Beta". This IS the finished version, not a beta, correct?

Also, the radio functionality does not work.

Last edited:

Agent47

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
Also, I should note that the 2.1 update did show up in the App Store. However, it is not stable under OS X 10.10 Yosemite Beta-it continuously crashes. I'm looking for a way to roll back to 2.0x-are there any direct links to the older versions?

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
What's new

New features:
- Collections:
- Simplified access to all of your playlists (including iTunes).
- Conveniently create & manage your own custom playlists right inside VOX.
- Queue:
- New & flexible way to shape your playlist and collect music from different sources
- SoundCloud integration:
- Full access to the largest database of the world’s music.
- A completely new & more intelligent ‘Search’.
- Added True Audio (.tta) format support.
- Added support of multi-output devices.
- Radio is now FREE. Listen to top radio stations free-of-charge.
- Updated interface – now more clean and comfortable

Bug fixes:
- Fixed bugs related to parsing of iTunes library.
- Reinvented iTunes artwork mechanism that allows to extract most of the track artwork (OS X 10.9 & above).
- Fixed bugs with NAS music playback.
- Fixed bugs with gapless support.
- Fixed bugs with crashes.

Attachments

• 369673_larger.png
    369673_larger.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 560

nuuuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2014
New version Crash everytime

Ive been very happy with Vox until today. After I updated Vox to 2.1 it crash everytime I try to play music or just open the app. System info: Late 2013 MacBook Pro retina, OSX 10.9.4. Can anybody help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.