Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Podcast support is a joke, so I've given up on that, but are there are least any media players for Android that work right?

The built in program doesn't allow you to fast forward/rewind through video, which is horrible. VLC works like you'd expect, but the audio sounds super bad/tinny, at least on my Nexus 7. It's like it's not being decoded right or...something...

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Podcast support is a joke

Is this a joke? I listen to 9 podcasts a week and there are plenty of choices for podcast apps. As far as the rest, MX player is good

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
For podcasts, I like Podcast Addict. For .mkv and other media files, I use MX Player Pro and BubbleUPnP to stream high quality files to my Smart TV

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Any recommendations for a tablet optimized Podcast app? That is still my main gripe with android vs ios. Too many apps on google play are just stretched out wastelands :mad:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Trying Pocket Casts for my tab. Seems to be a solid option. Thanks atticus27

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I use Pocket Casts on my phone as well. I prefer Downcast on iOS slightly but Pocket Casts is great as well imo.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I'm surprised you guys can stand those types of programs. Do all of you only use podcasts on a single device and never back them up/etc.?

They're all worthless for me.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
I'm surprised you guys can stand those types of programs. Do all of you only use podcasts on a single device and never back them up/etc.?

not sure why one would need to back up a podcast...unless you plan on listening to it multiple times.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

I have been listening to podcasts since 2003/4. I have always deleted them afterwards. I already have enough media to handle, adding podcasts to that mix would be a disaster.

But just pushing them to Dropbox/Box/Google Drive/etc is decent enough to do. The nature of podcasts are that you listen, then delete. Even iTunes has it setup to manage it that way when you sync devices loaded with them.

What were you using before BTW?

As for VLC, do you have the Nexus 7 with the Dolby audio?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I have been listening to podcasts since 2003/4. I have always deleted them afterwards. I already have enough media to handle, adding podcasts to that mix would be a disaster.

But just pushing them to Dropbox/Box/Google Drive/etc is decent enough to do. The nature of podcasts are that you listen, then delete. Even iTunes has it setup to manage it that way when you sync devices loaded with them.

What were you using before BTW?

As for VLC, do you have the Nexus 7 with the Dolby audio?

I've been listening to podcasts around the same length of time. In 2005 Apple fixed EVERYTHING with iTunes/iPod and then iOS integration, but with everything else I'm stuck manually copying stuff over and keeping track of what I'm listening to, etc., just like the bad old days. That's actually THE reason I bought a 5s instead of a drastically cheaper phone, only then iOS 7 podcast support is broken...though not as broken as on everything else. For now I'll just continue using an iPod classic + phone, for as long as I can, I guess...

Is the Nexus 7 with Dolby audio last year's version? The second gen one with a Qualcom chip? I've got the first gen Tegra 3 model.

That MX Player makes me a bit uncomfortable in that I don't know who the heck does it, but it's SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the Android media player, and doesn't seem to have the audio issues that VLC has on my Nexus 7, sooooo guess I'll use it!

I'll have to play with it more with headphones to be sure the audio's okay, but it all seemed good. Seemed like MX Player "cheats" a bit somehow on both audio and video, making stuff brighter and louder than it would otherwise be, which isn't a bad cheat to have!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.