Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's content delivery network is now live in the US and Europe, reports analyst Dan Rayburn of Frost & Sullivan (Via ArsTechnica). The CDN may deliver multiple terabits of data per second, allowing Apple to more efficiently to distribute software updates and other content to its customers.

apple-cdn-traceroute.png
Apple's CDN apparently went live recently as current trace routes provided by Rayburn show that OS X downloads are piped directly from Apple to internet service providers, such as Comcast. Apple is paying for this direct route in order to avoid congestion and other issues during times of high volume traffic, such as when a new version of OS X is released. Other providers who possibly have negotiated these interconnect deals with Apple are rumored to include AT&T and Verizon, both of which have similar contracts with Netflix.

Apple has not publicly commented on its CDN plans, but the company is expected to use the network to deliver iOS and OS X downloads, while gradually transitioning its iTunes and App Store away from Akamai and other Level 3 CDNs.
"It's too early to know how much traffic will come over and when, but Apple's already started using their own CDN much faster than I expected. The pace of their build out and amount of money they are spending on infrastructure is incredible. Based on my calculations, Apple has already put in place multiple terabits per second of capacity and by the end of this year, will have invested well more than $100M in their CDN build out."
Apple allegedly has been working on building this content delivery network for several years, with a rapid acceleration in the past year to bring the service online. The rollout of this network brings content delivery under Apple's direct control, helping to ensure its customers can access data reliably and quickly.

Article Link: Apple's Content Delivery Network Now Live, Making Faster OS X/iOS Downloads Possible

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Am I the only one who went "WHOO!!" because of the excitement of all that bandwidth caused? lolll :D

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
So my OS X yosemite installer of 5gb took 25 minutes to download but updating to Devloper preview 2 (i don't know why it installed DP1...) took 4 hours.... and dev preview 3 of 1gb is taking 6 hours.

Will this mean faster downloads there?

RNB

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2007
How about fixing old things first?

I wish Apple would spend more time fixing the ongoing syncing of contacts, calendars, and especially photos through iCloud instead of coming up with new things. Sometimes photos show up, sometimes they never do. Not just me. I keep hoping, but I don't see these fixes mentioned. Maybe with the iCloud file sharing?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Bye bye net neutrality.

With a comment like that, you should explain what you mean exactly by net neutrality, how it benefits whom, and how Apple's CDN would make a different to those benefits.

I wish Apple would spend more time fixing the ongoing syncing of contacts, calendars, and especially photos through iCloud instead of coming up with new things. Sometimes photos show up, sometimes they never do. Not just me. I keep hoping, but I don't see these fixes mentioned. Maybe with the iCloud file sharing?

I'd say that having more bandwidth surely won't hurt with these things.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Good news: I have Comcast. So hopefully this helps me to power through downloads of big apple releases like iOS and Mac upgrades.

Bad news: Apple shouldn't have caved to the ISPs. This is bad for the internet.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Perhaps prepping for TV delivery as well? I see :apple:TV on the horizon.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
Could they be using it for mail and messages? Here in France me and a friend had a few dropped messages recently and mail login problems - both seem to have resolved themselves this afternoon (backlog of messages and email came through).

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
much bigger than just updates

I suspect, Apple has other things in mind than just your typical updates.

Apple TV, Rdio (Beats), personal video SMS, even photos are what Apple is hoping to develop relationships with ISPs.

Net neutrality is coming to an end, fast.

With respect to the economy in general, I see a dichotomy emerging here. If you are in the Apple ecosystem, you will be well serve but you'll have to pay for it, which means you have money and do not mind.

If you are not in the Apple ecosystem, good luck navigating the maze of sub-optimal options out there.

It is the have and have nots.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I wish Apple would spend more time fixing the ongoing syncing of contacts, calendars, and especially photos through iCloud instead of coming up with new things...

While I think a lot of folks would like Apple to spend more time on fixing things that don't work as well as they should, you should understand that has absolutely NOTHING to do with CDN, any more than that they're building a new campus building has anything to do with their focus on software projects. It's not like they take developers away from working on iCloud to focus on CDN instead. It's a completely separate group of engineers and developers.

CDN is an investment in their infrastructure, and is rather vital when you think of more than a hundred million iOS devices all trying to download the latest iOS at the same time.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
With a comment like that, you should explain what you mean exactly by net neutrality, how it benefits whom, and how Apple's CDN would make a different to those benefits.

Large corporations paying for connections smaller businesses and startups could never afford in order to keep the dominance they already have by preventing fair competition.

Do I fear this in regards to Apple? Not particularly, but I see this being used in far worse situations that in the end will only hurt the consumer with less competition and higher pricing.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Large corporations paying for connections smaller businesses and startups could never afford in order to keep the dominance they already have by preventing fair competition.

Do I fear this in regards to Apple? Not particularly, but I see this being used in far worse situations that in the end will only hurt the consumer with less competition and higher pricing.

Exactly. It's not hard to see some startup dealing with, say, streaming video being shaken down by the ISPs for a "premium connection" or just live with really slow streaming speeds. That cost either gets passed on to consumers or (more likely) the startup just folds.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

there are at least a half dozen commercial CDN's that will take your business if you're a small company. or just send your traffic via Level 3 or Cogent

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
They should save some money and use BitTorrent instead.

Seriously. Why spend all that effort making bigger pipes when they could have just used the existing pipes better. Why must every Apple device in my house download every patch or app itself when those exact bits are already on a device in my house. Nothing could ever be faster, not to mention more bandwidth cap friendly, than simply sharing the bits from one local device to another over the LAN.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Exactly. It's not hard to see some startup dealing with, say, streaming video being shaken down by the ISPs for a "premium connection" or just live with really slow streaming speeds. That cost either gets passed on to consumers or (more likely) the startup just folds.

these so called premium connections date back to the 90's

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.