Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
I scored the Samsung SSD - yes!

Can't tell display.

All the commands I googled yield just Color LCD.

What's the new way to tell.

hrlty

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2014
run this line is the Terminal.app
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
If output doesn't prefix LP then it's a Samsang screen,otherwise LP:)

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I scored the Samsung SSD - yes!

Can't tell display.

All the commands I googled yield just Color LCD.

What's the new way to tell.

Here it comes again.. And why is the manufacturer important? Is the display malfunctioning? I used to think we're past this madness.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
Mine is a A019

Slight yellow tint on the bottom half of the screen but I can live with it

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
My dGPU model is an LG screen. I haven't properly calibrated it yet, but no issues.

If anything I feel LG as a whole makes a better display than Samsung. Typically most of Dells displays are LG, I believe most of Apples larger screens are too?

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
Seriously?

Really dude? Necessary to be rude to people?

Command + Space -> System Information -> Storage -> Find Spot Similar to attached image

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 6.14.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 6.14.13 PM.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 177

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Are the Samsung screens brighter than the LG screens? My 15" Mid 2014 retina screen, which is LG, feels a bit dim.

Are LG screens still problematic and to be avoided, or has the manufacturing process improved?

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
My ass sure is nice and smart:

;)

Yes I ran that command line in the terminal before. It asked to download X-Code so I did that. But it still comes up with this.

@.`0 6
Color LCD

So as it does not prefix with LP its a Samsung screen. Not that it matters but still.

Voch

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
Wrong grep?

(Does some quick Googling for the command-line stuff...)

Different "grep" value?

Code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

This gives me a line that starts with LP, which is an LG display. This MBP has serious burn-in but it's work-issued so I don't worry about it.

Voch

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
Those cmd will work with dGPU only.

Even if I'm running gfxCardStatus and have the discreet 650M disabled? If true, sorry.

If I finally broke down and bought an IrisPro-only model for myself I would've know this... ;)

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Yes I ran that command line in the terminal before. It asked to download X-Code so I did that. But it still comes up with this.

@.`0 6
Color LCD

So as it does not prefix with LP its a Samsung screen. Not that it matters but still.

On current base model rMBPs there is no easy way of finding out the manufacturer (you could take the display assembly apart and check the label on the back of the panel, but you'd most likely crack the panel in the process).

The method you tried reveals the serial number (edit: and model number of course) of the panel on rMBPs with a dGPU. On models with iGPU only, all it returns is the name of the current color profile, which is in no way useful in determining the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.