Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hey guys,

I am a huge fan of apple products and I just kove the way they are designed and I also love their software.. But for the mobile phone part, Android seems to take the lead. Do u think that it is the end of the iPhone saga, or do u believe that it will still continue with revolutionnary things?

Thank You to share ur opinions

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Hey guys,

I am a huge fan of apple products and I just kove the way they are designed and I also love their software.. But for the mobile phone part, Android seems to take the lead. Do u think that it is the end of the iPhone saga, or do u believe that it will still continue with revolutionnary things?

I think it's far from the end of the road for the iPhone, my personal opinion is that the iPhone is an overall better experience than Android. I'm an iPhone user since the 3GS, last year i tried the Samsung Galaxy S4, and after a few months i sold it and was VERY glad to return to the iPhone. I think Apple will continue to innovate and i believe that the upcoming iPhone 6, will be another great phone and another great experience with Apple.

The thing will Apple is that they are held in such a high regard, that everything they do is held under a microscope for others to analyse. Personally i'm more than happy with my :apple: experience.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Android takes the lead simply because it is an operating system offered on dozens of handsets. The iPhone is popular as a product in itself but is slightly more expensive. In the first 6 weeks after launch of the Samsung Galaxy S5, the iPhone sold more units, so this indicates there is still demand and people are not bored of it.

Personally I'm not looking for revolution when I buy a phone. I've watched with interest over the past few years and enjoyed what each manufacturer brings to the table. But in all honesty I really want a good reliable phone that suits my needs. Its an every day tool for me and I rarely get bored with the function.

Purple.roses

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2014
In the first 6 weeks after launch of the Samsung Galaxy S5, the iPhone sold more units

I think this is an unfair comparison, that's like comparing computer sales of macs vs dell computers instead of macs vs windows computers. I'm having a hard time putting what I'm trying to say in words but hopefully u get what I'm trying to say lol. Id like to know new ios phones sold vs new android phones sold (premium android to be specific)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think this is an unfair comparison, that's like comparing computer sales of macs vs dell computers instead of macs vs windows computers. I'm having a hard time putting what I'm trying to say in words but hopefully u get what I'm trying to say lol. Id like to know new ios phones sold vs new android phones sold (premium android to be specific)
What I was trying to say was in May 2014, the month the S5 was released, the iPhone 5S apparently sold more units. I'm not trying to suggest either phone is better, but in previous releases (S2, 3, and 4), Samsung have always taken the lead in the first month. I thought it was an indication that the market is a little saturated and it appears the iPhone isn't as unpopular as many like to think. Perhaps the S5 was not enough of a leap to the S4, but I'm sure it still sold enough.

I only compared Apple's nearest rival manufacturer for that comparison because they are the market leaders, but I am sure more Android devices were sold than iOS devices during that month. You can say it is an unfair comparison, but by that logic the same can be said for Apple when they don't match the entire Android market? We perhaps take figures too literally? :)

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
iOS vs android. Android has so many manufacturers and it's free operating system. So it's way ahead of iOS.

But iPhone will be around for the foreseeable future.

Smartphone market very mature in first world countries. Samsung hurting big time right now. Their growth has really slowed down. Even more than Apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One manufacturer vs. multiple, of course the android is going to come out ahead.

I will say that Google has done a better job at innovating the OS then Apple has. It seems through the years Apple has been reactive to the market and not proactive. Notification center, multitasking, lock screen notifications, etc.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I Prefer pure Android as a phone OS but use a iPad and Mac Mini for personal use, PC ( win 8.1 ) for work. I use Aqua Mail Pro, Chrome, Biz Calendar Pro and swift key on my phone and enjoy the flexibility of using the apps that I feel are the most productive for me. Just my 2 cents!!

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
Let's not forget that there are lots of people in the world that probably take up a large % of market share that don't really want a fancy phone. They want a basic phone that will call and text. Previously, they could get this - a phone made by xx company running some ultra basic OS. But now Android has taken over this part of the market. All basic phones run Android now.

Further, those who want a smartphone and would love an iPhone or even a premium Android phone but can't afford it - can still get in on most of the apps available to other Android users with a ~$100 phone (off contract).

I think this is quite similar to how the Mac vs Windows situation is right now, with Windows being significantly more "in the wild" but Macs very much holding their own in the small part of the market we do have.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
One manufacturer vs. multiple, of course the android is going to come out ahead.

I will say that Google has done a better job at innovating the OS then Apple has. It seems through the years Apple has been reactive to the market and not proactive. Notification center, multitasking, lock screen notifications, etc.

Android is only now getting lock screen notifications natively in Android L.

And I'd argue all those things mentioned are done better in iOS anyhow. I'm not sure how "reactive" they've been given we have no idea what has been in the pipeline or for how long. It just seems to me Apple prefers to let a feature mature before releasing it, with the obvious exception being Maps as customer input was absolutely essential in building a great maps product.

Android has been slow to adopt certain things in its own right. Just last year Google Now gained the ability to create reminders and tasks. Just last year they added Play Games. And Android L will bring a slew of features I'm excited about being an iOS-fan.

All-in-all, both OSes have been quick on some things and slow on others. Android has the marketshare advantage because its on a much larger variety of devices available to a larger number of people at a vast number of price points.

As far as market leadership goes? Apple is still very much out front with Android. The iPhone isn't going away anytime soon - in fact, I think this fall/winter for Apple will be the biggest quarter anyone's ever seen. They don't usually miss on their estimates of sales and rumor has it they are readying nearly 100 million iPhones for the rest of this year. If they sold that many iPhones, it would be unreal and would put a relatively sizable dent in marketshare numbers - especially given the relatively small number of options available for those who buy iOS.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
They don't usually miss on their estimates of sales and rumor has it they are readying nearly 100 million iPhones for the rest of this year. If they sold that many iPhones, it would be unreal and would put a relatively sizable dent in marketshare numbers - especially given the relatively small number of options available for those who buy iOS.

Don't know if they will sell 100 million in a quarter (that usually takes 2-3 quarters), but I'll be one of those sales. :)

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

I do believe Tim Cook will fed up and kills iPhones for good in the future. :apple:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I'd agree with that. Apple has been making incremental changes to the iPhone and iOS where as Android with all of the various makers need to be more aggressive at differentiating themselves from each other.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Apple should take heed

Android has about 84% and Apple has 11% of the market. Those figures should make Apple nervous. Android has gotten quite good lately and the new Android L will be even better. The previous advantage that IOS had for being "smoother and better" is disappearing. Consumers are purchasing phones for other reasons besides operating systems.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Android has about 84% and Apple has 11% of the market. Those figures should make Apple nervous. Android has gotten quite good lately and the new Android L will be even better. The previous advantage that IOS had for being "smoother and better" is disappearing. Consumers are purchasing phones for other reasons besides operating systems.

At this point there really isn't anything for Apple to be nervous about. As the market for cheap phones continues to increase, Apple's market share will continue to decrease. It's the low-cost Android phones driving up Android's global market share, and I don't see why that is important or how it affects Apple.

Financially, Apple is doing great and will be for a very long time. Sales and profits are still increasing, and the iPhone 6 will likely set new records. Apple rules the high-end phone market. Only people on forums care about global market share.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I am a huge fan of apple products and I just kove the way they are designed and I also love their software..

Such a shame that so many posts on here have to start with this statement for fear of being shot down.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Android is only now getting lock screen notifications natively in Android L.

And I'd argue all those things mentioned are done better in iOS anyhow. I'm not sure how "reactive" they've been given we have no idea what has been in the pipeline or for how long. It just seems to me Apple prefers to let a feature mature before releasing it, with the obvious exception being Maps as customer input was absolutely essential in building a great maps product.

I don't disagree with a lot of the rest of your post but Apple allowing a feature to mature and then releasing a great product is a myth.

Notifications is a prime example. Notifications attempted to counter Google Now, yet the information given, the presentation and usefulness isn't even close. Notifications is next to useless.

You don't need customer input for a great maps product. You need correct information and a good UI. Something Apple Maps still does not have (try zooming out quickly to see where it is taking you or to see where there is an alternate route if a street is blocked, try seeing if there is construction or traffic on Apple maps).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't disagree with a lot of the rest of your post but Apple allowing a feature to mature and then releasing a great product is a myth.

Notifications is a prime example. Notifications attempted to counter Google Now, yet the information given, the presentation and usefulness isn't even close. Notifications is next to useless.

You don't need customer input for a great maps product. You need correct information and a good UI. Something Apple Maps still does not have (try zooming out quickly to see where it is taking you or to see where there is an alternate route if a street is blocked, try seeing if there is construction or traffic on Apple maps).

I much prefer Apple notifications to Android - and the Today view gives me what I need as far as time to work/home etc.

I get all that from Apple maps....traffic works, construction etc.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Who's making the most money?

Unless you are a major stockholder in Apple, why do you care?

----------

Something Apple Maps still does not have (try zooming out quickly to see where it is taking you or to see where there is an alternate route if a street is blocked, try seeing if there is construction or traffic on Apple maps).

Apple maps shows traffic, construction and accidents. In fact, it usually shows more detail than Google Maps. GMaps likes to occasionally use Waze input, but not to the extent that it should.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
I much prefer Apple notifications to Android - and the Today view gives me what I need as far as time to work/home etc.

I get all that from Apple maps....traffic works, construction etc.

The Today view is what I'm talking about. It's not even close to the information Google Now has. Flights, hotels, real information about what is on my calendar tomorrow instead of just telling me I have four events. I'm talking about real contextual information where Apple is lacking.

I assume that is why they purchased Cue last year, but I've yet to see any impact from that purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.