Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its website with a new page celebrating its acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music.
Today we are excited to officially welcome Beats Music and Beats Electronics to the Apple family. Music has always held a special place in our hearts, and we're thrilled to join forces with a group of people who love it as much as we do. Beats cofounders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre have created beautiful products that have helped millions of people deepen their connection to music. We're delighted to be working with the team to elevate that experience even further.

And we can't wait to hear what's next.
beats-apple-welcome.jpeg
The page also links visitors to the the front page of the revamped Beats Electronics website, which contains a message from the Beats team about joining Apple.

As part of these changes, Beats Electronics also has confirmed the closure of its online store. Going forward, all transactions will be handled through Apple's Online Store and customers are advised to contact Apple about purchases made after August 1, 2014.

Apple's acquisition of Beats Electronics and Beats Music is moving forward, with the deal recently receiving regulatory approval from the European Commission. U.S. regulators are expected to weigh in on the deal in a decision to be announced sometime this quarter.

In other acquisition news, Bloomberg also reported that Vivendi sold its 13 percent stake in Beats Electronics to Apple for $404 million. This stake was held by Vivendi's Universal Music Group.

Update 7:48 AM: Apple has confirmed to TechCrunch that U.S. regulators have indeed signed off on the deal, finalizing Apple's acquisition of Beats.

Article Link: Apple Welcomes Beats to the Family as Beats Electronics Closes Its Online Store

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I'm all for Apple, Beats Music & Beats Electronics working along side to make even better products & services.
Happy it's now official from Apple.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
There's something that feels so wrong about this, I don't know what it is but... Feels wrong.

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
From this point on, I will revisit my belief in Apple's product quality and be on the look out for hype and overprice in everything Apple sells. :p

Last edited:

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
In the past, I never tried Beats and I always thought they were overpriced but I've heard from other people how they offer great sound quality. After Apple's acquisition, I thought I'd them a try and see what the fuss is about; returned them back to the store in less than 24 hours.

The headphones themselves don't feel as expensive as the asking price, in fact they feel somewhat cheap, and I'm sorry, but the amount of bass is just terrible. As as a video editor, this ridiculous level of bass takes away from the clarity or feel of the music. After trying them out, I feel they are absolutely overrated. They only work with very few types of music, and they blow in everything else. They kind of feel different from other Apple products.

I know Apple bought them for their services and their marketing value, but the core product of Beats, headphones, are crap. Apple needs to do something about this if they still want to keep the price.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
ITT: "Oh my goodness how could a street ruffian possibly get his hands on my beloved company!"

Relax granddads.

mlenger

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Southern California
so Apple is going to fight the Bose patent infringement lawsuit?

This could be disastrous for Apple - preaching in house innovation and fighting copycats but buying a mediocre at best headphone company ( and online music ) that is being sued by Bose for Patent infringement on 5 counts - how have the mighty fallen!:cool:

59Burst

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2014
Texas
In the past, I never tried Beats and I always thought they were overpriced but I've heard from other people how they offer great sound quality. After Apple's acquisition, I thought I'd them a try and see what the fuss is about; returned them back to the store in less than 24 hours.

The headphones themselves don't feel as expensive as the asking price, in fact they feel somewhat cheap, and I'm sorry, but the amount of bass is just terrible. As as a video editor, this ridiculous level of bass takes away from the clarity or feel of the music. After trying them out, I feel they are absolutely overrated. They only work with very few types of music, and they blow in everything else. They kind of feel different from other Apple products.

I know Apple bought them for their services and their marketing value, but the core product of Beats, headphones, are crap. Apple needs to do something about this if they still want to keep the price.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about Beats. They sound like the Ghetto Blaster of headphones. Good for c-Rap music but nothing else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.