Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:02 AM   #1
allamb
macrumors member

Please help me stop MS Word starting up automatically

For some reason MS Word has decided to start up when i turn my mac on!!! i have searched for the start up folder but find nothing with the apps that start up automatically.

Can anyone suggest anything PLEASE
allamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:14 AM   #2
freeny
macrumors 68020

There is a folder inside the hard drives library called "startupitems". Or it could be a setting within Words preferences. Also look around in your System Preferences. I dont remember where but I believe the startup settings are located somewhere in there. Im at work now and dont have admin priv's so I cant poke around.
freeny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:19 AM   #3
stridey
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeny
There is a folder inside the hard drives library called "startupitems". Or it could be a setting within Words preferences. Also look around in your System Preferences. I dont remember where but I believe the startup settings are located somewhere in there. Im at work now and dont have admin priv's so I cant poke around.
System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items
stridey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 09:23 AM   #4
allamb
macrumors member

Thanks a million
allamb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Apple2E1971
macrumors newbie

MS word opening up at start uo onmy mac

I have gone to system preferences ---> Account & Groups------> loggin items, and there is nothing there. Word is still opening and no one seems to know how to stop this.
Apple2E1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple2E1971 View Post
I have gone to system preferences ---> Account & Groups------> loggin items, and there is nothing there. Word is still opening and no one seems to know how to stop this.
Right click the icon in your dock. Does it have a check next to open at login? If so, just uncheck it. If not, hmm..
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 AM   #7
JewelChick
macrumors newbie

Having the same issue

Word and Excel auto-open when I start up each morning.

There is no checkmark next to "Options > Open at Login" for either program.

There is a checkmark next to "System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an application (when selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application)."

There is no other option under "System Preferences > General" related to applications or windows. Similarly, there is no related option appearing under ""System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options."

I went to "Finder > Applications > Microsoft Options 2011 > Office > Startup" and found three files in the folder -- for Word, Excel and PowerPoint (which is not auto-opening at startup). I removed those files, and Word and Excel are still auto-opening at startup.

These are all the suggestions I've seen online, and none has made a difference.
JewelChick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:36 AM   #8
MconorK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelChick View Post
Word and Excel auto-open when I start up each morning.

There is no checkmark next to "Options > Open at Login" for either program.

There is a checkmark next to "System Preferences > General > Close windows when quitting an application (when selected, open documents and windows will not be restored when you re-open an application)."

There is no other option under "System Preferences > General" related to applications or windows. Similarly, there is no related option appearing under ""System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options."

I went to "Finder > Applications > Microsoft Options 2011 > Office > Startup" and found three files in the folder -- for Word, Excel and PowerPoint (which is not auto-opening at startup). I removed those files, and Word and Excel are still auto-opening at startup.

These are all the suggestions I've seen online, and none has made a difference.
Having the exact same problem. Please share if you have found a solution.
MconorK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2014, 08:11 AM   #9
lnixon
macrumors newbie

Stop Word from opening on startup

once Word has opened click 'Word-->preferences-->general
This is where you can change the setting.
lnixon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store