Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Last year I returned my new Pro based on the yellow cast to the screen, and a lack of strong brightness at the highest setting. Since I do like a bright and cool toned screen, I am wondering how these new Pro screens look. I know we all have different eyes and tastes, but I would like to hear any thoughts.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014
Mine has a yellow tint on the bottom half of the screen. I went through 4 2013 models that had the same issue. It doesn't seem to have been resolved with this refresh.

I've decided to send it back and go with the base 13" and try a 15" again after the broad well refresh to see if thing improve.

I've never had an issue with brightness though

Last edited:

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
This is basically why I decided on the iMac instead bc I had a couple of the haswell 15" but it needed a notch or two higher brightness and the weird color pinkish hue.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
My 15" late 2013 top-end rMBP (A022 screen, purchased in February 2014) has a significantly brighter and cooler screen than my new 13" 2014 base rMBP (A018 screen, purchased 1st August). I have calibrated the screen so that it looks similar to my 15" rMBP.

I also had a 13" 2014 mid-level rMBP (A020 screen, purchased 1st August) which was brighter than the A020 screen, but also had a grey/green tinge to the screen, and suffered image retention so I didn't bother to calibrate the screen.

I really want to switch to the 13" rMBP (for uni), but I have not yet sold my late 2013 15" rMBP because the screen is so nice (it would be the best of the three by far). I went through around six models before I got one with a screen I was happy with (yeah, I am probably OCD).

I will update again when new models are released next year.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
This is basically why I decided on the iMac instead bc I had a couple of the haswell 15" but it needed a notch or two higher brightness and the weird color pinkish hue.

The weird pinkish hue is the reason why I returned a rMBP 13" late 2013 and went with an Air 13" 2014 instead. I actually tried 4 different pro's and all of them had it. Moreover, all of them had uneven brightness and color uniformity to various degrees, and half of them had the image retention issue.

Last edited:

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks everyone, for your comments. It sounds like the screens are as inconsistent as ever. So frustrating for those of us with "picky" eyes. I have thought about getting an Air instead, but I hate the recessed, silver bezel. I've been using my Mini and a beautiful Samsung monitor, along with my iPad, while waiting for Apple to get this sorted out, but I really do need a laptop these days. Not sure what I'll do yet.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
Well you might as well not bother then considering that high DPI displays of the specs Apple uses aren't made in a quantity big enough for Apple to be able to go with one good manufacturer...

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Well don't forget that in the display settings you can change the color tone. The default is "color LCD" which gives it a yellowish tone. I'm guessing that all you had to do was change the color tone to something else. I changed it to "CIE RGB" and it gives it a nice cool tone.

I really like it. I have the LG screen too and it's pretty amazing. It gets really bright but that also depends on the color tone you choose under display settings.

I also got a samsung SSD and it just flies thru whatever I throw at it. I mean there's no wait for anything lol. Well other than the download.

Last year I returned my new Pro based on the yellow cast to the screen, and a lack of strong brightness at the highest setting. Since I do like a bright and cool toned screen, I am wondering how these new Pro screens look. I know we all have different eyes and tastes, but I would like to hear any thoughts.

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Well don't forget that in the display settings you can change the color tone. The default is "color LCD" which gives it a yellowish tone. I'm guessing that all you had to do was change the color tone to something else. I changed it to "CIE RGB" and it gives it a nice cool tone.

I really like it. I have the LG screen too and it's pretty amazing. It gets really bright but that also depends on the color tone you choose under display settings.

I also got a samsung SSD and it just flies thru whatever I throw at it. I mean there's no wait for anything lol. Well other than the download.

I did play with the calibration for as long as possible before returning it, and, although I am not the most technically oriented person, I don't think it was that simple...I wish. Maybe things have improved, as this was January of '13. I will look into the CIE RGB calibration...that at least gives me some hope.

Rbk23

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2014

You can't fix uneven screen tint with the calibration tool

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
My 15" late 2013 top-end rMBP (A022 screen, purchased in February 2014) has a significantly brighter and cooler screen than my new 13" 2014 base rMBP (A018 screen, purchased 1st August). I have calibrated the screen so that it looks similar to my 15" rMBP.

I also had a 13" 2014 mid-level rMBP (A020 screen, purchased 1st August) which was brighter than the A020 screen, but also had a grey/green tinge to the screen, and suffered image retention so I didn't bother to calibrate the screen.

I really want to switch to the 13" rMBP (for uni), but I have not yet sold my late 2013 15" rMBP because the screen is so nice (it would be the best of the three by far). I went through around six models before I got one with a screen I was happy with (yeah, I am probably OCD).

I will update again when new models are released next year.

I got the A022 screen in my 2014 Base 15" MBP.

Is that a Samsung or LG ?

sdimas

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2014
USA
I have a late 2013 15" with 0 screen defects. This is the first one I got and did not make any exchanges.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I have a 2014 with a perfect screen. Maybe I'm just not picky, but I have no issue with it.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil

Yep. Calibration doesn't help as you can't calibrate just a single pixel or region of display. Some high-end displays (like some models from Eizo and NEC) does something like a pixel-by-pixel calibration which corrects the eventual uneven tint.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Hmm ya I don't know then. I simply don't have that problem on my mid-2014.

----------

Ya I dunno. I just got done installing photoshop. I did my thing, loaded the jpeg in xcode, and it looked great. I just don't have that problem.

I did play with the calibration for as long as possible before returning it, and, although I am not the most technically oriented person, I don't think it was that simple...I wish. Maybe things have improved, as this was January of '13. I will look into the CIE RGB calibration...that at least gives me some hope.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
Not sure how to check to see which Axxx model I have, but I definitely have a Samsung display on my new 2014 13" Base rMBP. This is my first retina laptop so I am not sure I'd be able to tell if there was a yellowish tint, but when I compare it to my iPad Air, the whites look exactly the same. Very bright and vivid, just an awesome display.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I had a perfect screen when I got my 15" rMBP two years ago. Since last month, it has image retention problem daily.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I have the new high-end 15" with dGPU. Since I am still in the first 14 days period, I have been experimenting with it a lot, looking for signs of trouble. Worked with Photoshop, Lightroom, did some video editing, quite a few hours of watching HD movies/videos, and little bit of gaming; I haven't seen any problems with the screen / GPU switching.
I also did do the screen calibration, and made a few changes to the profile; I seem to like D50 [warm yellowish white] more than the native white point settings - that was way too white for me.
Best,

Edit: Screen manufacturer is LG, and... as far as brightness goes, the VERY bright setting is actually... quite disturbing. I generally keep it around 1/3 way in.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I have the new high-end 15" with dGPU. Since I am still in the first 14 days period, I have been experimenting with it a lot, looking for signs of trouble. Worked with Photoshop, Lightroom, did some video editing, quite a few hours of watching HD movies/videos, and little bit of gaming; I haven't seen any problems with the screen / GPU switching.
I also did do the screen calibration, and made a few changes to the profile; I seem to like D50 [warm yellowish white] more than the native white point settings - that was way too white for me.
Best,

Edit: Screen manufacturer is LG, and... as far as brightness goes, the VERY bright setting is actually... quite disturbing. I generally keep it around 1/3 way in.
Any tips on how one can calibrate? I have a 13" coming soon. Of course I know there are probably guides and discussions lying around on macrumors

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
Any tips on how one can calibrate? I have a 13" coming soon. Of course I know there are probably guides and discussions lying around on macrumors
I did not change much... I simply got on system preferences --> displays --> color ["tick" show profiles for this display only] --> calibrate && just played around 'till I got the settings I like. I did not go with the expert mode. For me, changing the target white point to D50 did the trick; it gives a soft yellow tint on the whole screen and is easy on my eyes. But of course, you could possibly spend hours digging through the expert mode for your liking.

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Well, we just ordered the entry level 13" 2014 Retina. Crossing my fingers....

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I did not change much... I simply got on system preferences --> displays --> color ["tick" show profiles for this display only] --> calibrate && just played around 'till I got the settings I like. I did not go with the expert mode. For me, changing the target white point to D50 did the trick; it gives a soft yellow tint on the whole screen and is easy on my eyes. But of course, you could possibly spend hours digging through the expert mode for your liking.
Thanks!

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Best,

This post gave me the confidence to order. I do like a bright, cool white screen, and it sounds like that was the default on your machine. I like hearing that you were able to change it to your liking using simple procedures. Plus, any post from a Minnesotan (?) is always good. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.