Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thorsteenster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
So I saw an iPhone 4 on Ebay the other day for $30 BIN or OBO, so I got it with a $15 offer.
It's missing the back cover and the screen is cracked and blank lcd.
I got it and plugged it in to charge, connected it to a Mac I happened to have sitting around, connected an old cracked but working screen and saw it was asking for the passcode. Also, the logic board middle water indicator is red, but the headphone jack and data port are clear (white). So I wouldn't say this is necessarily indicative of water damage being the back panel is gone.
So any who, all I'm trying to do is wipe the phone, so I put it in recovery mode and let iTunes do its thing until it failed with error 1, multiple times.
Since, I've tried various JB tools and utils, redsn0w, snowbreeze, ireb, recboot, and limera1n thinking if iTunes can't, maybe a JB would do the trick. I've tried ios 5.01 and 6.01, pwned dfu mode with a custom ipsw and iTunes returned error 3194. Redsn0w and 5.01 seemed to be the best but failed eventually after downloading (package info, I think?) displaying on the iphone and then reboots to recovery mode which I can't get out of other than going to dfu mode, but now only pwned dfu mode. Also, I have no idea what ios the phone had/has, so no idea if I'm upgrading or downgrading.

I JB'd a couple iphones a couple years ago so am pretty much a newb at this, and bought the phone figuring it could be a good learning curve with no big loss.
Sorry for the lengthy post, thanks to those that read it all and offer some direction on what to try next.
Thanks!

OrthodoxiOS

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
So I saw an iPhone 4 on Ebay the other day for $30 BIN or OBO, so I got it with a $15 offer.
I got it and plugged it in to charge, connected it to a Mac I happened to have sitting around, connected an old cracked but working screen and saw it was asking for the passcode. Also, the logic board middle water indicator is red, but the headphone jack and data port are clear (white). So I wouldn't say this is necessarily indicative of water damage being the back panel is gone.
So any who, all I'm trying to do is wipe the phone, so I put it in recovery mode and let iTunes do its thing until it failed with error 1, multiple times.
Since, I've tried various JB tools and utils, redsn0w, snowbreeze, ireb, recboot, and limera1n thinking if iTunes can't, maybe a JB would do the trick. I've tried ios 5.01 and 6.01, pwned dfu mode with a custom ipsw and iTunes returned error 3194. Redsn0w and 5.01 seemed to be the best but failed eventually after downloading (package info, I think?) displaying on the iphone and then reboots to recovery mode which I can't get out of other than going to dfu mode, but now only pwned dfu mode. Also, I have no idea what ios the phone had/has, so no idea if I'm upgrading or downgrading.

I JB'd a couple iphones a couple years ago so am pretty much a newb at this, and bought the phone figuring it could be a good learning curve with no big loss.
Sorry for the lengthy post, thanks to those that read it all and offer some direction on what to try next.
Thanks!

:eek: hahahahaha

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
I think you should enjoy the experience but give it up as soon as you are ready to do something a tad more productive than mess with $15 iPhones.

david1990

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2014

Thanks!
Error 1 is often a battery problem. Try to replace the battery and try again. If you have TinyUmbrella disable all settings as it might be changing the hosts.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
i think you should research what error-1 is and if its hardware related you can spend a bit more cash, but having the LCD repaired is quite an expensive buy, hahaha that iphone could be a fixer upper project of yours

aidenh37

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
i think you should research what error-1 is and if its hardware related you can spend a bit more cash, but having the LCD repaired is quite an expensive buy, hahaha that iphone could be a fixer upper project of yours

Always good to learn more. The more you know, the better - after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.