Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Probably been asked a load of times, so sorry :)

Had to sell my 11" MBA over a year ago due to finances etc but to be honest found the screen too small
Anyway circumstances have changed and in the market for something mac again

I know i want a 13" one but stuck between the 13" MBA or the MBP retina and think i will need 256gb ssd
The main uses will be:
web surfing
iTunes (library about 30gb)
Storing photos taken with iPhone
and the occasional converting videos for iPad use, so nothing to heavy i wouldn't of thought
If i can play games like the walking dead, the wolf among us those type of games, if possible but no biggie if i cant

So what are your thoughts guys (and girls)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Tbh, based on your usage, either machine will fit your needs. It all boils down to whether you want the Retina screen, or better battery life.

If it were me, I'd opt for the rMBP, just because you are getting a better screen, and faster processor.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Tbh, based on your usage, either machine will fit your needs. It all boils down to whether you want the Retina screen, or better battery life.

If it were me, I'd opt for the rMBP, just because you are getting a better screen, and faster processor.
Maflynn is right.
Are you sure you need the 256gb ssd? How many gigs of photos you got?

The base mba is very affordable. Try to get it on a deal.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
You might be surprised as to how little storage you actually need for your SSD. External hard drives are very often the answer to any storage issues and are many times cheaper to get MUCH more storage space than paying for the next SSD. Plus you should have an external drive anyways for Time Machine/ moving very large files over from one computer to another.

And there's always the cloud. Store 20,000 free songs w/ google, unlimited photos w/google, and 15GB of anything for free w/ google. I don't know if another company offers all that for free under one account (for simplicity) but if there is one that does, there's that option as well.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Well i thought 256gb because with the 128gb, once i add say my 30gb itunes, worse case 6gb photos, and then some documents.
So worst case 40gb then what ill lose from never getting the full amount of 126gb plus then the OS ill be left with 60gb-70gb
Wonder if going forward i.e. 2 years that will be ok..... Maybe it will

As for the screen, my wife as the normal ipad mini and the difference in screen compared to my ipad mini retina is huge, wonder if resolution of the MBA will be an issue, saying that i put up with my acer laptop for the past year which was 1366 x 768

Not putting my music etc in the cloud, i do have a 2tb external drive though to store files on and backup stuff like my cctv system

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.