Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
I was using as usual my mbp 15 late 2013, when suddenly the screen started to bounce!
Up and down all the time, like someone shakes the screen!
I powered down the mbp, but when I power it again, the same thing happened again.

I am so dissapointed by Apple.
My last computer was mbp early 2011. It died some months ago. Logic board problem, no applecare, no sense to repair it and possibly have the same problems after a while.
So, I purchased this one, the high spec model, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, 2nd graphics card etc.
And now what? With this machine I got an 'apple care' package too, so in any case they will repair to free for me.
But why should I have such a discomfort again?
Take it to the service, calls, lots of days without my main computer/mbp, etc.
Why all these? And why again in a few months time?

2 different Macbook pros, with problems, at the same year?
Isn't it too much?
Next time maybe should I take a better look to pc laptops.
I thought that apple makes the best laptops in the world.
If they want to focus in iphone, there is no reason to having such problems.
I cannot stop thinking all these.

But lets get back to the problem.
I tried to reset smc but nothing changed. Press shift-alt-command+power button.
The mbp boots, but from the first moment, the screen bounces.
I can press the keys in login screen to get in osx, but as you maybe guessed, everything bounces.

Is there anything that I could do?
Is this a hardware problem?
Any other user with similar problem?

I hope there is something to fix it by myself, because this year was a real 'apple' disaster for me.

dlnnlf.jpg

29fvv9w.jpg

b6snir.jpg

Last edited:

Estagmar

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
If it is what I think it is then no, there is no way you can fix it yourself. Those pictures look just like the ones from the 2011 MacBook Pros (15" and 17") that had GPU problems. In that case the only real fix (or the least prone to fail) was doing a reball to the GPU.

For 2011 Macbook owners it (usually) went like this:
- Works well for a couple of years.
- Screen Problems appear.
- Computer is "fixed" at an Apple store.
- Works well for a short time.
- Screen Problems appear.
- Computer is "fixed" at an Apple store.
- Works well for a short time.
- Screen Problems app...

You get the idea, that goes on and on until Apple decides to replace your entire computer with a different model or the computer gets a proper reball at a third party. Hopefully it is not the case with the retina ones and yours is an special case. I would bring it to an Apple Store and hope it gets a permanent fix.

Here you can see the weird behaving screens from the 2011 ones: http://breakfree.cc

CaffeinatedNoms

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2014
Northeast England
The good news is, if you live in the EU (and certain EEC countries too) then your statutory rights as a consumer kick in when AppleCare drops off.

Just take it in and ask for a replacement. If they say they won't do it under AppleCare, remind them that you have the right as a consumer to demand a replacement for faulty electronics.

The bad news is, if you're not in an EU/EEC country, the above is not true for you and you're at the whim of AppleCare.

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
The good news is, if you live in the EU (and certain EEC countries too) then your statutory rights as a consumer kick in when AppleCare drops off.

Just take it in and ask for a replacement. If they say they won't do it under AppleCare, remind them that you have the right as a consumer to demand a replacement for faulty electronics.

The bad news is, if you're not in an EU/EEC country, the above is not true for you and you're at the whim of AppleCare.

This is very true. In the UK you have up to 6 years from the date of purchase to make a claim.

Do bear in mind that it is the SELLER of goods. So if you bought from a third party, the onus is on the seller to rectify the issue and not the manufacturer. Apple are aware of the consumer law, unlike most companies here.

See here for Apple's advice on EU Law:
https://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

They don't have to replace immediately however, they can try to repair it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So, I purchased this one, the high spec model, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, 2nd graphics card etc.
And now what? With this machine I got an 'apple care' package too, so in any case they will repair to free for me.
But why should I have such a discomfort again?
Take it to the service, calls, lots of days without my main computer/mbp, etc.
Why all these? And why again in a few months time?

2 different Macbook pros, with problems, at the same year?
Isn't it too much?
Next time maybe should I take a better look to pc laptops.
I thought that apple makes the best laptops in the world.
If they want to focus in iphone, there is no reason to having such problems.
I cannot stop thinking all these.

You sure have a lot of questions. The answer is that the 2011 model had a manufacturing defect and Apple hasn't admitted fault and committed to fixing it(and probably won't).

The 2013 model having trouble is simply bad luck. If Apple were selling a lot of these defective models, they'd be losing money not making it.

But lets get back to the problem.
I tried to reset smc but nothing changed. Press shift-alt-command+power button.
The mbp boots, but from the first moment, the screen bounces.
I can press the keys in login screen to get in osx, but as you maybe guessed, everything bounces.

Is there anything that I could do?
Is this a hardware problem?
Any other user with similar problem?

I hope there is something to fix it by myself, because this year was a real 'apple' disaster for me.

There is something wrong with the GPU. Take it in and have it repaired.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
With something as complex as a modern computer there is no such thing as a completely problem free product, there are only products where the problems are more common and ones where the problems are less common. Just take the damn thing in for repair and they may even go as far as to replacing it on the spot (thou probably not due to being a built-to-order machine).

As for the 2011 MBP's problems, it's a problem relating to materials stress from consecutively heating up and cooling down due to stress. These kinds of problems don't show up until years later so there isn't much Apple could have done to detect this when they originally designed the 2011 Macbook Pro's and even then it's not bad enough to warrant a repair program like the infamous 2007 model. I've personally got 2007 and 2011 models, but only the 2007 model has ever failed with the problem and after a logic board replacement is chugging along problem free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.