Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebird3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I've been using my local internet service provider address such as xxxxxx@hd.xxxxx for years however, if you had to move out of the area and to have to change entire email address, what's the best way to make the transit?

Also what is the best email service?Do you pay and own your own domain name (probably the best) or free service like yahoo, gmail ? (safe? concerned about privacy, security, etc). Also how did you come up with your current e mail address name? I'd need one that is permanent and presentable perhaps my real full name but mine is very long..

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
When @home changed everyone to @comcast years ago I got my own domain name. First, I got a simple web host with email hosting but eventually I moved the email hosting to the old, free Google Apps service. In the last couple of years I moved it all over to Office365 email hosting (Exchange $4/mo.) to accompany an Outlook for Windows user.

I have a second domain still hosted by Google and I think it works great. Google data mines emails but I don't care much. I'd recommend Gmail over most of the other free services, I suppose.

For a domain name pick whatever you want. I used my last name.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I use @me/iCloud and @outlook. I like the web version of these 2 because they don't look so busy. I don't like where gmail went with theirs and the fact they don't push to non-android suff now was another turn off for me.

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I use my old .mac account (iCloud) for personal email, and Gmail as my backup. Also imported years and years of my old Gmail to Outlook for another repository. Best bet is to go with a provider that is not tied to a specific ISP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.