Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshR93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
I'm going to buy my first MBP but was wondering if there's going to be another model released later this year. I've read that Apple are waiting on the new broadwell processor. Any one have any ideas? Should I just buy one or wait?

Thanks!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you can wait until early 2015 and the current MBPs do not satisfy your computational needs and the Broadwell versions with its slightly faster CPU, slightly faster integrated graphics processor (IGP) and its better battery life is worth waiting for, buy in early 2015.

If Apple releases an update to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display line this year, it will be unlikely to be using the Broadwell chipset, since it is delayed until early 2015. Or maybe not.

JoshR93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
The current MBP's are more than enough for what I need, I just don't want to buy one and then 2 months later a new one come out.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The current MBP's are more than enough for what I need, I just don't want to buy one and then 2 months later a new one come out.

The current models were released less than a week ago. If you are so worried about not having the newest model, go ahead and wait. But remember that eventually that new one will be the old model.

My advice: If you need a computer now, buy one now. You've already said it'll do everything you need it to do.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
No one knows when Apple will refresh a particular hardware line until they do it. Given that it was just refreshed, chance are you won't see any other updates until the Broadwell processor is available in the first/second quarter of next year.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I'm also wondering this as well. Currently I have a 13" MBA (mid 2012), and the lack of a retina screen, while something that never bothered me initially, is beginning to become more and more noticeable when jumping between my iPhone 5s and retina iPad Mini. I recently purchased a DSLR and viewing/editing photos on a non-retina screen is not ideal. I've noticed too that my MBA occasionally stutters when dealing with 1080p video from my GoPro. Basically, I just want something that's a little more refined and powerful (e.g. the rMBP). I like the overall smaller footprint of the 13" rMBP as well.

The only reason I'm waiting is because of the rumors that Apple may release a redesigned 12" retina MBA. If it is super thin and yet still a capable machine, I may be swayed to consider that over the power of a rMBP.

A larger screen would be nice, but I think the 15" would ultimately be too large for traveling and sitting and using comfortably when not at a desk. My ideal setup would be a 13" rMBP and a next-gen Thunderbolt display. Plus the 15" is almost $2,000 and that's just too much to pay for a single machine, especially when it will inevitably be obsolete in a few years. Can anyone confirm the viewing resolution that the current 13" rMBP runs in? I know for awhile they were only running in a viewable 1280 x 800 resolution, which actually provided less screen real estate than what's on the MBA (1440 x 900). I think 1440 x 900 is kind of tiny on a 13" screen, but I've kind of gotten used to it at this point.

Last edited:

JoshR93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
The current models were released less than a week ago. If you are so worried about not having the newest model, go ahead and wait. But remember that eventually that new one will be the old model.

My advice: If you need a computer now, buy one now. You've already said it'll do everything you need it to do.

Thanks for all the replies! As long as no one can see a new rMBP in the next month or 2 I will buy one. Not overly fussed about it being the latest, just don't want to buy one then a month later a new one come out.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Not only should you buy now, you should buy a 2013 refurb from the Apple store and save several hundred dollars on essentially the same machines.

nexus4life

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2014
The best time to get a rMBP is yesterday. (This rule is valid for any day of any year going forward)

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
If you need it now, buy it now.

If you don't need it now and are on a budget or want to save money, wait and buy a refurb when the new ones come out because they will likely be cheaper.

If you don't need it now and don't care about money, then wait for Broadwell if you really want it.

In any case, the only difference is how much you pay and how long you wait. I don't think you'll notice a performance increase with the new models unless you have specialized needs.

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
I just bit on the 2014 rMBP.

Why? I think it is the maturest HW from this gen of rMBP.

Early next year I am guessing design change, new mousepad, other things and historically apple does not do well in year 1 of new things.

I prefer the mature end of the line....

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
When to buy MBP?

There will be no more MBP this year. And if there's going to be a new MBA, it will likely still be a DUAL-core compared to QUAD-core of the rMBP's. Anyone wanting to do video and wait for a rumoured 12"MBA should just think again and buy the current rMBP

Last edited:

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
If you can wait until early 2015 and the current MBPs do not satisfy your computational needs and the Broadwell versions with its slightly faster CPU, slightly faster integrated graphics processor (IGP) and its better battery life is worth waiting for, buy in early 2015.

If Apple releases an update to the MacBook Pro with Retina Display line this year, it will be unlikely to be using the Broadwell chipset, since it is delayed until early 2015. Or maybe not.
Quad core Broadwell chips won't be out until mid 2015 not early 2015

adrkuh

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2014
Ok I have a question I know Might get a bias answer here but is a Mac better then a windows based computer and why I've always used windows but I'm in market for a new computer and not sure which way to go and why any help please

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
There will be no more MBP this year. And if there's going to be a new MBA, it will likely still be a DUAL-core compared to QUAD-core of the rMBP's. Anyone wanting to do video and wait for a rumoured 12"MBA should just think again and buy the current rMBP

Only the 15" rMBP models have quad core. The 13" rMBP is only available with a dual core processor.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
but is a Mac better then a windows based computer

Exactly what is your criteria for "better"? A you talking about the hardware designs, the OS, or the Apple designed apps? Which characteristics are you comparing: size, weight, performance, accessibility, reliability, availability....etc?

The question is too subjective without criteria and will easily lead to all sorts of fanboy and troll behavior.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
'xcuse me but I really think the 13" is not a Macbook PRO, but I stand corrected.

Apple calls it a MacBook Pro, so whether you like it or not, it's a MacBook Pro.

The name is all marketing anyway, "Pro" has nothing to do with capability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.