Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
So I bought a PowerMac 4400/200 recently and wanted to get the OS installed on it. I tried a MacOS 8 disc and the computer booted from it, but every time, during installation, an error happens that forces me to cancel the installation. I tried an iMac MacOS 8.6 install disc and it said that my computer won't work with the disc. I then tried a MacOS 9.2 disc and, again, I get a message saying that my computer won't work with it. What's going on here? This isn't very usual... Usually Macs just work and that's it. I guess the closest things to Windows PCs that aren't Windows PCs are 1990s Macs. Anyone have a clue?:confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I believe that 9.1 is the latest supported by that model, so that explains why 9.2 won't boot. An iMac copy of 8.6 won't work on a Power Mac.

As for OS 8, I'm not sure what the problem is there. What is the exact error message? The CD drive is probably getting on a bit by now so you may want to try another if you have one. Failing that, duplicating the CD onto a CD-R may help (in my experience Verbatim CD-Rs work pretty well with older drives - the recording surface is a dark colour and these seem to work better than light colours with older drives).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.