Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbientChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
Every restart, I see one, sometimes two, "Recovered files" folders in the trash. I understand that these are temporary files that are left behind and are usually harmless, but the folders are always empty. I'm afraid that there might be something wrong (e.g. data loss) going on. Does anyone know how to stop these folders from appearing in my trash?

Thanks in advance

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Try making a new user and see if it occurs too.

Otherwise it's an application running in your account thats causing it. If you can't locate it, then you'll need to either use a new account or restore your Mac

AmbientChaos

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2014
I made a new user account, and the issue didn't occur. So assuming that the problem was with my account, I then went back to my account and deleted all login items, but the issue persisted. After disabling all apps that opened during login but did not have an entry in Login Items, I have come to the conclusion that it is 1Password's menu bar helper called 1Password mini.

If I turn it off, subsequent restarts will definitely not produce those files in the Trash.

Is this an issue with anyone else with 1Password 4 (Mac App Store version if that makes any difference) or is it just me?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
For some years now, I've seen "recovered files" in the trash when rebooting, even if the trash was empty at shutdown.

And I shutdown every night, and restart every morning.

Solution:
Just empty the trash on restarting, and don't worry about it.

Works for me.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I get these when one of my non-native Cocoa applications is updated, such as MS Office 2011, which is still Carbon (except for Outlook). That road to Cocoa started 13 years ago, but there's still a few laggards out there...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.