Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys im not usually one to ask but im looking for opinions on upgrading from a 2011 13" MBA to a rMBP. I also own a 2012 iMac for any heavy lifting but i use the laptop 90% of the time for Web surfing, using the Abobe suite for work, emails and even watching videos.

Firstly im not sure if i should go for the current Haswell or wait for Broadwell? The answer will depend on how well the current iris graphics handles the high resolution of the retina display? If there is any lag or framerate drops ill wait for Broadwell.

Secondly im torn on what size to get, i LOVE my current 13" MBA for its really light weight and eae of use in bed ect but a bigger screen does interest me as i don't really use the laptop outside my house so lugging it around is not an issue. How do 15" users find it using their rMBP's in bed or on the couch? Does the extra screen real estate that retina brings negate the need for a 15"? My decision is between the mid level 13" or the entry level 15" as i need 256GB or storage. Im leaning towards the Haswell 13" but i would love some opinions?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Any advise?

If I were you I'd go for the 8/256 13 inch 2013 refurb. It's much cheaper than the newly released 2014 model and is virtually the same machine minus a .02 speed bump on the processor.

To answer your question about retina helping screen size. I believe it does. With the 13 inch rMBP, you can scale the resolution up to fit more content on the screen. This helps greatly when doing work that requires more screen real estate. Some state that they experience performance issues when scaling the display. I have never experienced any of these issues.

I cannot attest to the portability of the 15 since I own the 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.