Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwan-based accessory maker Yi Lin Enterprises has posted new photos on Weibo showing the purported rear shell of Apple's iPad Air 2 (Google Translate, via Mac Otakara). The images show off a gold housing with a number of design changes, including a new speaker grille with larger holes and a relocated rear microphone alongside the iSight camera.

purported_ipad_air_2_rear_shell-800x469.jpg

Last month, an alleged "perfect replica" of the iPad Air 2 surfaced, showing off a Touch ID home button for the device and recessed volume buttons along with the same refined speaker grille. The prototype followed the leak of a supposed front panel from the iPad Air 2 this past April, which showed an integrated display that may hint at a thinner form factor for the tablet.

Apple's iPad Air 2 is expected to launch alongside the iPad mini 3 later this year, and is expected to include a faster A8 processor in addition to the aforementioned Touch ID fingerprint sensor and refined physical features. Rumors have also suggested that Apple is working on a larger, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, however recent reports have indicated that plans for the tablet may be on hold for the foreseeable future.

Article Link: New Photos Claim to Show Purported Rear Shell of iPad Air 2

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
internals aside, i don't see them doing anything interesting with the ipad anytime soon

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I think they've gotten to a point there isn't much they can do differently on the outside. future iPads will show improvement with internals and software. so pics like this don't mean much

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
I think they've gotten to a point there isn't much they can do differently on the outside. future iPads will show improvement with internals and software. so pics like this don't mean much

My thoughts exactly, I'll only start getting excited when I see parts leaks

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
So....why is the Apple cut out in this and the iPhone leaks ?
Will we finally get a glowing Apple logo ???

iPad has always been cut out as fas as i know (for the wifi)

seriously a glowing apple logo on an iDevice would be tacky, annoying to be used in public in the dark and wasted energy

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008

Yes and no.. Apple has patents on hybrid tablets over the past year.. It shows they are looking at the idea and I think it could be the next big change... BUT... it will be in Apple fashion, they will come out with it, it will be when they are ready and believe it's truly something good. Which is not yet.. They are happy to let Microsoft and Google fuggle with it..

Right now, Hybrid laptops/tablets are meh to me.. still to heavy if they are powerful and I find it hard to really want one.. or, like the new Surface 3, lighter than a Macbook Air, but still way heavier than a mid-line tablet and to weak graphics wise to be truly useful as a laptop. Who's it targeting?

When I want a laptop, I want something with the horse power to really do something.. most of the current hybrids have crappy graphics which means not really much better than a netbook to me and too heavy; even detached. Thats a step down from a true laptop or a true tablet; both of which can do better at play or work. To me it's the same issue they had with Netbooks.. it wasn't 'TRULY' great in either mode.. too much compromise..

IMO anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Dawg 23

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
Minnesota
Ipad Pro!!! Ipad Pro!!!

I want to see a 12.9" pro that contains Mac OS. I just got a AT&T Note Pro 12.2". I am really liking the additional screen real state over my iPad Air. What I really want is iOS to allow for attaching multiple docs to on ail or insert on a reply.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
iPad has always been cut out as fas as i know (for the wifi)

seriously a glowing apple logo on an iDevice would be tacky, annoying to be used in public in the dark and wasted energy

Isn't it for the wifi antenna?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I still don't know why I need a tablet AND a laptop AND a smartphone. My Macs and my wife's Windows laptop suit perfectly our digital entertainment needs along our smartphones.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Yes and no.. Apple has patents on hybrid tablets over the past year.. It shows they are looking at the idea and I think it could be the next big change... BUT... it will be in Apple fashion, they will come out with it, it will be when they are ready and believe it's truly something good. Which is not yet.. They are happy to let Microsoft and Google fuggle with it..

Right now, Hybrid laptops/tablets are meh to me.. still to heavy if they are powerful and I find it hard to really want one.. or, like the new Surface 3, way to weak graphics wise to be truly useful as a laptop. Who's it targeting?

When I want a laptop, I want something with the horse power to really do something.. most of the current hybrids have crappy graphics which means not really much better than a netbook to me and too heavy; even detached. Thats a step down from a true laptop or a true tablet; both of which can do better at play or work. To me it's the same issue they had with Netbooks.. it wasn't 'TRULY' great in either mode.. too much compromise..

IMO anyway.

I think they could make a good one, give the body mac internals and give the screen iPad internals.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014

In a couple years we'll see front facing speakers that take the place of the bezels...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Still surprised they haven’t added a flash to iPads. I get that it’s not the most convenient camera, <insert other reasons for not using a tablet as a camera>, but if you’re going to implement a camera, do it right, especially if the enhancement has almost no effect on cost or space.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I still don't know why I need a tablet AND a laptop AND a smartphone. My Macs and my wife's Windows laptop suit perfectly our digital entertainment needs along our smartphones.

You don't. Is somebody physically telling you that you do? I feel like it goes without saying, but just because something might work for other people, it does not mean that you are required to do/buy the same.

Still 1GB memory?

Yes, and they've soldered it right into the rear shell, so it makes sense that you'd ask that and isn't at all a vapid question beyond any of our abilities to answer with certainty. :p

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I don't care for recessed controls; harder to press. But I wonder if the redesigned speakers will have better quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.