Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

songweaverman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
I have a Mid 2010 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 12 core mac pro with 40gb of RAM. I do a lot of video editing, composting, VFX (Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X), 3D graphics (Cinema 4D), and web design (Adobe Dreamweaver). I cannot afford the 12-core version of the new mac pro, but was looking at the 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor version. If I upgrade the memory to close to what I have, does anyone know how that machine will stack performance wise to my current machine?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
You'll see a pretty significant improvement in single-threaded tasks. Only question is how much having those twelve cores speeds up any multithreaded workflows you have. I can't find any good Geekbench scores with an equivalent for your machine on a cursory look so I can't use that as a rough estimate.

For Premiere and Final Cut the question of comparison is what graphics card you're using now. FCPX will obviously rock on the nMP, but if you have a solid graphics card now you may not see a huge boost. There's also the question of whether you use CUDA in AE or not, since that has no analogue on the nMP (though you can use OpenCL in Premiere with no ill effects.)

Celedral

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I have the NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 MB? Any difference? I do use CUDA in AE.

Put a GTX 780 in there and it'll scream with Adobe. The Cuda support really help things move along nicely. I don't think adobe has fully utilized OpenlCL yet, so you won't yeld that much of a boost from the nMp.

Things would definitely feel snappier on the nMp, while rendering times might be better on the MP tower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.