Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 8 beta 5, Apple today released a new version of OS X Yosemite to developers, two weeks after releasing the fourth Developer Preview and two months after unveiling the new desktop operating system at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update can be downloaded from the Mac App Store and should be available through the Mac Developer Center shortly. Apple has also released new beta versions of Xcode, OS X Server, and Apple Configurator.

yosemite_beta_5.jpg
OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with an emphasis on translucency and redesigned dock, windows, and more. It also includes a multitude of new features, such as improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity, a new "Today" view in Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search with new data sources, and several new features for apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

Over the course of the beta testing period, each Developer Preview has added new features and refined the look and performance of OS X Yosemite. DP 4, for example, added a revamped version of iTunes with a streamlined design and support for Family Sharing, while an earlier beta introduced a new Dark Mode.

Today's Developer Preview is limited to registered developers, but last week, Apple made a version of OS X Yosemite available to the public as part of a wide-ranging beta test. The pre-release version of Yosemite available to those participating in the public beta program is not expected to receive as many updates as the developer version.

Notable changes in DP 5:

System Preferences - System Preferences has an updated look with a slightly redesigned top bar.

yosemitesystempreferences.jpg
Launchpad - Launchpad has a new download progress bar.

launchpad.jpg
Volume/Brightness Controls - The Volume and Brightness controls in Yosemite have a new look.

volume.png
Calculator - The look of the redesigned Calculator has been tweaked slightly and it is now more transparent.

yosemitecalculator.jpg
Safari - There's a new setting in Safari to show full website addresses.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 5

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
My Time Machine has suddenly started to do the dreaded infinite back up thing, an issue that seems to have started with Yosemite.

NerdCore

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
So surprised at how stable this already is, four betas in, but let's see what fun lies ahead!

Mine doesn't boot nearly as fast as Mavericks does. Hoping that got worked out! Was very annoying having the loading bar :/ also hope Safari is fixed, always had issues with the tab bar appearing and disappearing on its own (same issues with login, sometimes able to do automatic login sometimes the option is disabled and greyed out).

PsyOpWarlord

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm hoping they fix the issues with BluRay ripping and trancoding. None of my BluRay rippers like MakeMKV work and some of my trancoders like Elgato turbo.264HD do not work in DP1-4.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Anyone else dislike the font used for the tabs and favorites bar in Safari? It needs to be bolder. It's really difficult to read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.