Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
My iMac is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I was hoping to upgrade this autumn after Yosemite comes out. I didn't know how much, if anything, it'd be worth being 5 years old... I was just going to give it to my dad... but looking on eBay I'm seeing really respectable prices for models lesser equipped than mine. Can I really expect $600-800 for my iMac?

27", Late 2009 - No damage or scratches beyond ordinary wear.
2.66 GHz i5
12GB 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
2TB internal SATA

Edited to add: Also, do you think now is a good time to sell? Will the price drop precipitously after Yosemite and the autumn iMacs are announced?

Last edited:

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Just make sure you're searching for "completed" (and particularly "sold") auctions to see what people are actually paying.

And yeah, the price you get is never going to go UP from where it is today. I'd just sell as soon as you're able. Sometimes you can drive up the price a little if you include extras. Take good, clear photos of it. And if you have the original box, that seems to increase the appeal.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
My iMac is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I was hoping to upgrade this autumn after Yosemite comes out. I didn't know how much, if anything, it'd be worth being 5 years old... I was just going to give it to my dad... but looking on eBay I'm seeing really respectable prices for models lesser equipped than mine. Can I really expect $600-800 for my iMac?

27", Late 2009 - No damage or scratches beyond ordinary wear.
2.66 GHz i5
12GB 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
2TB internal SATA

Edited to add: Also, do you think now is a good time to sell? Will the price drop precipitously after Yosemite and the autumn iMacs are announced?

Here's what I think. (in comparison to what I bought.) I got the same Late 2009, except with a 21.5" display, slower processor, weaker graphic card, 3TB hard drive. I bought it for 710$, and even then I consider I was lucky to find it. Of course, it has more extras, such as a bigger hard drive and two keyboards.

I am pretty sure that you can try to put an auction starting at 600$ (it's better to put an auction, if it's a good deal people will just keep raising the price.) The one I bought started at 300$ and ended up on 710$. Otherwise, put the price at 900$. Remember the following things: The price depends on if:
-You have the original box that came with it
-Everything you show on the picture is fully cleaned
-No missing pieces, no too much scratches, overall in good condition
-The earlier you sell, the more money you get (prices fall down)

Obviously, you must be able to sell the computer properly on ebay. Put an appropriate description, telling everything about the computer, put an appropriate font and make sure there is no missing information. Also, restore your computer to factory defaults before shipping.

Really hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.