Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drock93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Hey guys, I feel as if I missed my opportunity. The MBA 13" base model was on sale for $849 last week, and now its back at $949 at Best Buy. I have a $100 off student coupon and 10% movers coupon to use, and am looking for the best price. Do you guys think BB will drop the price to at least $899 again, if not $849?

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hey guys, I feel as if I missed my opportunity. The MBA 13" base model was on sale for $849 last week, and now its back at $949 at Best Buy. I have a $100 off student coupon and 10% movers coupon to use, and am looking for the best price. Do you guys think BB will drop the price to at least $899 again, if not $849?

I'm sure. Every other week or so they seem to adjust the prices up or down. Last month they were 150 off, then 50 off, then back to normal, then 150 off, now 50 off. Just keep watching them.

Also, check for open box Mac's in your local stores. If you get lucky, you can find a great deal and stack your coupons on top of the open boxed price.

mtreys

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
College Station, TX
They will drop the price at some point. It's just a matter of how badly you need it. If you can't wait then go ahead and jump. If you can wait then it'll go down within a relatively short time period. Give it a couple weeks if you're not in a hurry.

cshel24

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2012
The deal happened twice over the summer... if I had to speculate, I would say it is likely to happen again. This is the deal that I got on on, minus the student coupon. I used to movers coupon, the AMEX credit card deal, and a GC I got for bringing in my crappy old tablet over the summer. I was out the door for a little over $700 by the time tax was added on.

idelgado782

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2010
I would definitely look for open box units as well. That's how I got mines and I paid 700 for it. I was at to find a 13in 256gb for 999 which was practically brand new. I used the 10% movers coupon and the 150 student coupon as well as some rewards coupons I had. If you don't need it right now I'd say shop around for open box and wait for the prices to drop again.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I am kind of upset how the MBA 13 is the same price as the 11! But I cannot for the life of me go back to the 13 because I don't need the extra screen estate and the 11 is such a perfect size. It makes the 13 look like a giant. I wish the 11 had a sale price that was less than 850...

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
Best Buy open box sale

Check your local best buy open box items online. I picked up a 32gb retina mini for $315. It was practically brand new. They had several macbooks reduced done >30% and one of the sales guys said all of their open box items are being marked down over 30%. I wasn't able to use the edu $50 off coupon (the system wouldn't take it) but did use the mover's coupon.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
MBA 13 is back on sale at 849$

so after the student discount will cost 749$

How long does this sale usually last? I did the college student email thing, and its been over an hour and I haven't received my promo code yet. Sigh. I hope the price won't change anytime soon.

Is it possible to buy the computer today and when I receive the code I can go back to the store and have them do price adjustment?

Last edited:

aryan118

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
How long does this sale usually last? I did the college student email thing, and its been over an hour and I haven't received my promo code yet. Sigh. I hope the price won't change anytime soon.

Is it possible to buy the computer today and when I receive the code I can go back to the store and have them do price adjustment?

When you go back and try to do it they will refuse, order it with the code and avoid the hassle of price match. The code should be in spam or junk folder, if you are using gmail then it would be under PROMOTIONS tab

You need to confirm your .edu email before you can get the email with all the coupons in it.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
When you go back and try to do it they will refuse, order it with the code and avoid the hassle of price match. The code should be in spam or junk folder, if you are using gmail then it would be under PROMOTIONS tab

You need to confirm your .edu email before you can get the email with all the coupons in it.

What do you mean confirm your .edu email? I just went to the bestbuy.com college student URL and it asks to enter in my .edu email, i entered it in, and it accepted it.

So shouldn't I be receiving it by now?

Drock93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Well shoot, it jumped back up to $899 from $849. I though it was gonna stay at that price for the week. Any chance it dives back down, or should I go for it?

nightspd

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2014
Concord, CA
Yeah bummer, I walked in to get it at the $849 price, but it had shot back up. Luckily I had the Education coupon and the mover's coupon. Total before tax $722.

I say pull the trigger, if it goes back on sale in the next 15 days, Best Buy will give you the difference back.

BTW, writing this on my new MacBook Air (first modern Mac in 10 years) and I'm soooo impressed w/the build quality.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
What do you mean confirm your .edu email? I just went to the bestbuy.com college student URL and it asks to enter in my .edu email, i entered it in, and it accepted it.

So shouldn't I be receiving it by now?

I noticed this as well...been waiting days for the coupons from best buy after entering my .edu email which it said it accepted. anyone else experience this delay?

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
Consider getting your laptop at FutureShop; they are owned by Best Buy, have Geek Squad and all that. They're basically the same except right now, they have a $100 off promotion on the MBA and BB doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.