Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Hi,

Since last April we've moved from location A to our newer and bigger location B.
Something we are all proud on and happy with.

Now as our company has a strong grow the last months we want to be as strong as possible on the online and offline channels aswell

One of these online channels is LinkedIn. When I asked one of my colleagues to update his information on his LinkedIn he gave me a rude answer:

"LinkedIn is mine, it's private and I decide what to do with it."

Somewhere he is right, but if he also states he is working at my company I expect him to provide the right location and such.

What are your opinions on this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He's right, though his response was rude. His profile is his, he has a right to maintain it any way he sees fit.

----------

I wonder if he got upset about a perceived boundary crossing by you. His social sites can be considered personal and your entrenchment into his, may have rubbed him the wrong way.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What is your relationship with him? Are you his line manager, or immediate superior? Is he obliged to report to you?

In any case, my view is that his LinkedIn account or identity is his responsibility, not yours, and that you do not have a say in what he chooses to say when describing his occupation as long as it is accurate. As I see it, he is under no obligation to use his personal account to promote your company, or to provide specific professional details online.

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks for your replies!

He's right, though his response was rude. His profile is his, he has a right to maintain it any way he sees fit.

----------

I wonder if he got upset about a perceived boundary crossing by you. His social sites can be considered personal and your entrenchment into his, may have rubbed him the wrong way.

Yes I agree, though, as a member of a team, somewhere you should think about the company more than about your own things?

As you put up information for public on the internet, especially if you are linking your LinkedIn profile with the company profile. I believe everyone within the company and whoever has the right to look at your profile.

What is your relationship with him? Are you his line manager, or immediate superior? Is he obliged to report to you?

In any case, my view is that his LinkedIn account or identity is his responsibility, not yours, and that you do not have a say in what he chooses to say when describing his occupation as long as it is accurate. As I see it, he is under no obligation to use his personal account to promote your company, or to provide specific professional details online.

Agreed. Though providing wrong information about the company is bad for the company right? My request was simply to update his old information.
Your employee is correct, sorry.
Yes he is.

The main thing here is what I'm not sure about.

Where do you cross the line.
if an employee is providing wrong/bad information about the company he works.
Can this be seen as hurtful for the company too?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
My employer (the company) has a Linkedin page as well. My profile says I work there. If they update their information, it shows up on my profile. I'm not sure what's so difficult about that - I must be missing something. :confused:

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
My employer (the company) has a Linkedin page as well. My profile says I work there. If they update their information, it shows up on my profile. I'm not sure what's so difficult about that - I must be missing something. :confused:

On the employee page you can add additional information about yourself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
though, as a member of a team, somewhere you should think about the company more than about your own things?
Only for company sponsored activities and services. LinkedIn is a social site that it sounds like he has his own account. I see no reason why he needs to put the needs of the team or the company ahead of his own when its related to his personal life.

That is he gives you what you expect him during his work hours, and his personal life is basically off limits to the employer

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

I understand that. But if he lists himself as employed at "XYZ Company," it links to the company's page. You can make that say whatever you like.

You made it sound like he's listing incorrect information about the company. If he simply links to the company, and you have the correct information there, then the problem seems to be solved.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Yeah, but I can’t imagine anyone using LinkedIn, not viewing the company profile for information specific to the company (location, services, etc.). With so many people working from home or remote locations, I don’t believe anyone takes the personal profile location as the business location[?]

Seems like a non-issue/un-problem. :)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Yes he is.

The main thing here is what I'm not sure about.

Where do you cross the line.
if an employee is providing wrong/bad information about the company he works.
Can this be seen as hurtful for the company too?

What is the "main thing?" You cross the line when you start dictating what an employee does with their personal page.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Seems to me it's the way the employee was asked. I'm a Marketing Manager and we just moved. I sent out an email to all employees explaining how accurate information on social media can help with our SEO and other initiatives. Asked them to update their profiles where applicable and to tweet/FB post/etc. about our move. Of course I also told them it was completely voluntary.

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Thanks everyone.

In the end I agree with you all. Maybe the way he replied was just wrong.
LinkedIn is not affiliated with my company and therefore any information can't be forced in any way.

Seems to me it's the way the employee was asked. I'm a Marketing Manager and we just moved. I sent out an email to all employees explaining how accurate information on social media can help with our SEO and other initiatives. Asked them to update their profiles where applicable and to tweet/FB post/etc. about our move. Of course I also told them it was completely voluntary.

Good point. I'll try to use this the next time I'll bring this up or something major changes.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.