Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
After 5 years of using an iPhone, I jumped shipped to my first Android device in June of 2013. (S4 Active.)Since then I have also used the HTC First, Nexus 5, and now the Moto X.

Jumping ship was the right move for me at the time because I wanted to try a larger screen and I ended up definitely preferring it over the 4" iPhone. Moving from the Nexus 5 to the Moto X has confirmed that 4.7" is my personal screen sweet spot.

I like Android but do get frustrated at times with their apps. Because I use my iPad Mini daily I get to compare the equivalent app on iOS and it's always consistently better. For this reason I'm seriously considering the iPhone 6.

Curious if anybody who left their iPhone for a larger Android device will now consider jumping ship for a (finally) larger screened iPhone.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I go back and forth but always find myself preferring the iOS version of apps. But then there are certain things I miss about Android when I'm using iOS.

I think I'm plagued by Greener Grass Syndrome.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
After 5 years of using an iPhone, I jumped shipped to my first Android device in June of 2013. (S4 Active.)Since then I have also used the HTC First, Nexus 5, and now the Moto X.

Jumping ship was the right move for me at the time because I wanted to try a larger screen and I ended up definitely preferring it over the 4" iPhone. Moving from the Nexus 5 to the Moto X has confirmed that 4.7" is my personal screen sweet spot.

I like Android but do get frustrated at times with their apps. Because I use my iPad Mini daily I get to compare the equivalent app on iOS and it's always consistently better. For this reason I'm seriously considering the iPhone 6.

Curious if anybody who left their iPhone for a larger Android device will now consider jumping ship for a (finally) larger screened iPhone.
Some of us will use both. I prefer Android..... But I have had every iPhone except the first one. So I will try the new IP6 and see what it has to offer. I don't limit myself to one or the other.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I plan on going back to the iPhone now that they are finally bringing out a properly larger screen. Really looking forward to it.

Android is nice and all, but when you're heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem, you kinda need to stick with it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Can't see apple bringing out anything worth while that's better than what the note series will bring.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I won't be able to afford the iPhone 6 when it comes out (Well, not technically, but $400 is my max off contract for a phone), because I always buy off contract...I'll have to wait a few months for prices to drop online through sellers. But, hopefully Spring 2015, I'll have an iPhone 6.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I won't be able to afford the iPhone 6 when it comes out (Well, not technically, but $400 is my max off contract for a phone), because I always buy off contract...I'll have to wait a few months for prices to drop online through sellers. But, hopefully Spring 2015, I'll have an iPhone 6.

I am trying to do this going forward as well and buy off contract.

Having technology ADD doesn't help but Ill give it a go.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Some of us will use both. I prefer Android..... But I have had every iPhone except the first one. So I will try the new IP6 and see what it has to offer. I don't limit myself to one or the other.

Ditto, but in fairness we are phone whores :D

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I seriously dont know if i could go back to an iPhone. The 4.7" screen is a teaser and i will check it out but i have been using Android for 4 years and the phones just keep getting better. Once again ill say the "big" factor is looking like it could ruin it for me.

However, im more excited about getting a new Windows phone than i am to check out a iPhone. If the damn 930 wasnt exclusive to Verrizon(still pisses me off that thy did that) then it wouldnt even be a slight consideration for a iPhone.

But, as it is now, im hoping the Nexus 6 is not 5.9" and is more around 5.2". Ill also look at the next Moto X, a Windows phone and i will look at a iPhone 6 but it is last on my list but who knows. Maybe ill really like it. Just have doubts because the OS is still limited.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I seriously dont knoww if i could go back to an iPhone. The 4.7" screen is a teaser and i will check it out but i have been using Android for 4 years and the phones just keep getting better. Once again the "big" factor is looking like it could come bite me.

However, im more excited about getting a new Windows phone than i am to check out a iPhone. If the damn 930 wasnt exclusive to Verrizon(still pisses me off that thy did that) then it wouldnt even be a slight consideration for a iPhone.

But, as it is now, im hoping the Nexus 6 is not 5.9" anf ill also look at the next Moto X, a Windows phone and i will look at a iPhone 6 but it is last on my list but who knows. Maybe ill really like it. Just have doubts because the OS is still limited.
Thats my stance too..... I will prob not be able to resist getting an IP6. But that doesn't mean I will keep it......... I will get the 4.7 one....5.5 is just a little too big for a phone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Thats my stance too..... I will prob not be able to resist getting an IP6. But that doesn't mean I will keep it......... I will get the 4.7 one....5.5 is just a little too big for a phone.

It is. The Moto X1 or whatever it is called is rumored to bee 5.1". That should work fine. Just hope it gets a good camera.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I am an iPhone 6 buyer for sure. Will buy from T-Mobile and turn in my Lumia 1520 for credit, so the iPhone should only cost me around $400.
Looking forward to using iOS8 on a properly sized phone FINALLY! After I get used to iOS8, I will do like I do now and switch between my WP, Android phones and iPhone, depending on how I feel and what I plan to do for the day. All my phones will use nano-sims by that point, so it makes life easier.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
As I said in this post just a few moments ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19446901/, I won't be going to an iPhone if they retain the huge bezels.

I would prefer Apple go to onscreen buttons and a back-Apple-shaped-Touch ID. I use assistive touch anyway and the only way for iPhone's bezels to shrink is if they get rid of the old-fashioned Home Button. It's just another thing to break and another place for dust to collect and water to seep in.

LG G2 and G3 make awesome looking phones with their tiny bezels and back buttons. iPhone doesn't even need a back button mechanism. Just a touch ID ring and on screen buttons. I have to say, Android Nexus and Motorola moto phones make excellent on screen buttons. They are more responsive than assistive touch and allow for small bezels, while maximizing the use of the screen.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
As I said in this post just a few moments ago: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19446901/, I won't be going to an iPhone if they retain the huge bezels.

I would prefer Apple go to onscreen buttons and a back-Apple-shaped-Touch ID. I use assistive touch anyway and the only way for iPhone's bezels to shrink is if they get rid of the old-fashioned Home Button. It's just another thing to break and another place for dust to collect and water to seep in.

LG G2 and G3 make awesome looking phones with their tiny bezels and back buttons. iPhone doesn't even need a back button mechanism. Just a touch ID ring and on screen buttons. I have to say, Android Nexus and Motorola moto phones make excellent on screen buttons. They are more responsive than assistive touch and allow for small bezels, while maximizing the use of the screen.

We may see a larger bezel on the bottom of the iPhone for the touch ID, but the top and sides may be quite a bit smaller. If NFC is added on the back, then there is little chance Touch ID will ever be on the back.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
We may see a larger bezel on the bottom of the iPhone for the touch ID, but the top and sides may be quite a bit smaller. If NFC is added on the back, then there is little chance Touch ID will ever be on the back.
I don't see Apple changing too much on the outside of the iphone. The changes will be all on the inside. Hardware bumps and then IOS8

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I don't see Apple changing too much on the outside of the iphone. The changes will be all on the inside. Hardware bumps and then IOS8
we have seen leaks of the internal components and the touch id sensor wiring and connections is altered.
if that means smaller bezel on the botton, who knows, but there is little reason for larger bezels on the side or top. i really do think Apple is gonna give us a completely new look with the iphone 6. those dummy units we see floating around are just a replica of dimensions of the backmand sides of the phone. no one really knows what the front is going to look like.

not that it matters to me. A larger phone and ios8 is enough for me to buy the iPhone 6. :D

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
we have seen leaks of the internal components and the touch id sensor wiring and connections is altered.
if that means smaller bezel on the botton, who knows, but there is little reason for larger bezels on the side or top. i really do think Apple is gonna give us a completely new look with the iphone 6. those dummy units we see floating around are just a replica of dimensions of the backmand sides of the phone. no one really knows what the front is going to look like.

not that it matters to me. A larger phone and ios8 is enough for me to buy the iPhone 6. :D
I hope you are right. But so far their track record says it will be the same only with a larger screen. I do see them trying to reduce the bezels by a little. But they are committed to TouchID. So that means they have to leave room for it on the bottom. Now they could reduce the bezels on the top....but then it would look a little funny. I think they will keep it symmetrical and balanced. JMHO.....

Schnedi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
the screen size is not something that makes me want to change a phone.

and iOS 8 will have the same lack of features/options.

so, for me the iPhone(s) 6 is/are: just another phone and phablet. nothing interesting compared to the actual and future ones.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Can't see apple bringing out anything worth while that's better than what the note series will bring.

Maybe not specs-wise but Apple always makes nicer quality phones and the lower specs work fine because of their pairing with the software, the other day I was playing with an S5 and despite the crazy specs it still lagged and stuttered

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I hope you are right. But so far their track record says it will be the same only with a larger screen. I do see them trying to reduce the bezels by a little. But they are committed to TouchID. So that means they have to leave room for it on the bottom. Now they could reduce the bezels on the top....but then it would look a little funny. I think they will keep it symmetrical and balanced. JMHO.....

Keeping the faith strong in the hopes that the iphone6 really is the phone I want it to be and know it can be.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Because of a larger screen? I've had that for over two years. The iPhone 6, if it offers a larger screen, offers nothing new compared to what's out there. iOS8 is playing catch up to Android. Why would I go to the iPhone when Android already offers what it's going to have?

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
In my experience from jumping back and forth. Apps are better on ios but as a phone android is better especially when it comes to email YouTube content and the things the phone can do in general.

Went from n4 to iPhone 5s and I'm trying to wait for the next android to come out because I'm dying to switch again. I really also want to get my hands on that moto360

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.