Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayb33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
I have ~1tb of music and video files (primarily music) stored on a 2tb WD external hard drive. Recently, copying files to or from the hard drive has been exceptionally slow-- impossible to even do, essentially (7 hours to copy 25gb). My other hard drives are still working fine, so it seems to be a problem with that drive rather than the computer. I've tried multiple cords, turning everything off and booting back up with nothing open then plugging in just the hard drive. Nothing helps. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to be able to just get the files off of it and onto another hard drive, but I'm not sure how to even do that since it won't copy at any reasonable speed. Any help, suggestions, ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

jayb33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Thanks... I have a free drive to move the things onto, but right now I'm trying to copy a folder with 137gb and it says it will take 2 days. I'm worried about the computer and both drives running for 2 days to transfer 13% of the data. I guess there really isn't another option, but I'm certainly going to look into that dock thingie. Assuming that would help at least a little bit, should I just turn the drive off until I get one?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks... I have a free drive to move the things onto, but right now I'm trying to copy a folder with 137gb and it says it will take 2 days. I'm worried about the computer and both drives running for 2 days to transfer 13% of the data. I guess there really isn't another option, but I'm certainly going to look into that dock thingie. Assuming that would help at least a little bit, should I just turn the drive off until I get one?

I would look at taking apart the external case and transplanting the drive into another enclosure or into a dock. It is possible an internal part on the case is going bad but it honestly sounds like the drive is on its way out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.