Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Hi,

Does anyone know what SSD size fits into the 2010 MacMini Server (=2 hard drives) model?

Also: Does anyone know fragile the temperature sensor on the HD is? Is it really 'easy' to damage? Or is it just a matter of being aware of it & taking things step by step?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it takes a standard size, which is the 9mm

As for the sensor, its very fragile, be careful when working on the mini.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
All I know it's attached with sticky tape.

Can anyone tell me at what point the sensor is likely to get damaged? Is it when trying to pull the drive out of its bay? Or is it earlier during the disassembly process?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
All I know it's attached with sticky tape.

Can anyone tell me at what point the sensor is likely to get damaged? Is it when trying to pull the drive out of its bay? Or is it earlier during the disassembly process?

I think it's either when removing connectors from the logic board or when removing the sensors from the drive. I preserved the sensors intact when removing the black plastic cover from the HDD, since they were attached with isolating tape (the same material as the HDD cover) and not by a bonding material like we see in iFixit tutorial, for example. After placing the SSD, I applied standard isolating tape to keep the sensor attached to the drive surface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.