Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
Hey,

Just bought a 900mhz(g3), 640mb RAM, 40GB ibook off ebay. Got er' for 430$ USD (good deal?). Just wondering if there is anything I should look out in this particular model or anything suggested I do to it.

Thanks
MacMosher

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
MacMosher said:
Hey,

Just bought a 900mhz(g3), 640mb RAM, 40GB ibook off ebay. Got er' for 430$ USD (good deal?). Just wondering if there is anything I should look out in this particular model or anything suggested I do to it.

Yes, keep it away from heat or overheating by buying an iCurve or some air flow stand or laptop desk.

smharmon

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2004
Deal sounds ok. I prefer the G3 build quality over the g4, but love the speed difference :)

You will enjoy your mac, and the 900mhz g3 still has plenty of life to give. Enjoy!

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
Jus' lookin' out for ya...

I'd call Apple, tell 'em the Serial #, and see if you're eligible for the Logic Board Recall.

They'll either tell you to send it in or it's been repaired.

If not, see if you can still buy AppleCare for it. Just in case the Logic Board "does" go bad.

Congrats on your purchase, and I wish you all the best...

Peace!

PS. MAX OUT the RAM, and she'll love you, :D

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
eleveneastgate said:
I'd call Apple, tell 'em the Serial #, and see if you're eligible for the Logic Board Recall.

They'll either tell you to send it in or it's been repaired.

If not, see if you can still buy AppleCare for it. Just in case the Logic Board "does" go bad.

Congrats on your purchase, and I wish you all the best...

Peace!

PS. MAX OUT the RAM, and she'll love you, :D

RAMS, maxed out all ready... now I need an Airport card... they are not compatible with Airport extreme right?

And I heard somthing about that recall, Ill give Apple a call later.

Aswell reffering to the icurve... are these machince well known for over heating? ... I dont think I want to invest in an additional monitor, key board, mouse... I bought this laptop for the sole purpose of being a laptop and the accesability that comes with it.

Have a desktop already but I will look into the iCurve

Thanks

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
You'll need one of the noriginal airport card's they are more expensive but can be found on eBay for a reasonable price if you get a good auction.. Overall a good buy i'd say...:D

Shadow

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
shadowmoses said:
You'll need one of the noriginal airport card's they are more expensive but can be found on eBay for a reasonable price if you get a good auction.. Overall a good buy i'd say...:D

Shadow

Wahts a good price for a Airport card... dont know what there worth really... cause apple doesnt sell them anymore hard to judge.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I sold an original Airport card on MR's MarketPlace for $60 shipped, this was sometime last year. I've seen people try to sell 'em for $100?! :eek:

Good luck on the search.

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
eleveneastgate said:
I sold an original Airport card on MR's MarketPlace for $60 shipped, this was sometime last year. I've seen people try to sell 'em for $100?! :eek:

Good luck on the search.

Thanks are they jsut increasing in price because of them becoming increasingly rare and people needing them for there macs that are not compatable with the extreme

MacMosher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Canada
MacMosher said:
Thanks are they jsut increasing in price because of them becoming increasingly rare and people needing them for there macs that are not compatable with the extreme
100 has been the best price ive been able to find latly should I go for it?>

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
MacMosher said:

You'll probably have to cough up the $$$ as they seem to cost about that much now.....$100 isnt too bad but if you can keep looking you may get one for $70-90...

shadoW

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
MacMosher said:

You can look into an external USB key type wireless, but it's going to stick out...

I wouldn't invest too much money in the computer, remember, a brand new 12" iBook is only $900 new, sometimes $800 refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.