Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acerone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
I got hooked a few year ago so I started a website selling KickStarter products and most resently a Facebook Group "BackThisProject"

What were the last 3 things you backed on KickStarter? That's if you backed anything...

For me:

GripSnap http://kck.st/1rujNpe

100% Raw Organic Coconut Oil http://kck.st/1kGQhwn

Vaavud wind meter V 2.0 by Vaavud http://kck.st/1w4jwsi

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I've tended to stay away from Kickstarter.. not because I don't trust it or don't believe the projects are well-intentioned.. Have a family to take care of. :)

However, one project that I did back from KS is Reading Rainbow. I made mention of that in its own thread in the Current Events section. Top 5 projects aside, I think RR is probably the best project I've seen on Kickstarter.

BL.

Reactions: LizKat

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
If memory serves me right, I've backed only 2 - musicians, one reached his goal and the other, unfortunately did not. Though, there were some gadgets that I thought of backing, but never went through it for one reason or another. Currently, I'm thinking about backing a clothing one and since they've already surpassed their goal, it's pretty much a done deal. Just can't decide if I want to have first dibs on the product.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I've backed a few things:

2 music projects, both by artists I enjoy

a tarot deck project (present for my mother, who does tarot)

I check Kickstarter every so often to see what's going on, but there's a lot of random silly stuff (especially ever since that joke meal thing happened). I'm particularly interested in the technology and science stuff.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Wow. A lot. A couple of the successful backing were: Cookoo Watch, Almond+ Router, Shroud of the Avatar MMO

Several bands produce albums, a couple of self published novels and at least 6 comics or graphic novels

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't because it seems like making an investment in something that could be making inflated claims as compared to a final product. If a kick star donation is made, and a threshold is not reached, do they return your investment? Will you still have to purchase the program when it is released? Just curious.

I have purchased games with pre-release status on Steam, but those are further along, more certain, such as Space Engineers.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
If a kick star donation is made, and a threshold is not reached, do they return your investment? Will you still have to purchase the program when it is released? Just curious.

Nope, you get refunded if the project does not meet its goal. From the FAQ:

"If a project on Kickstarter does not reach its funding goal, no backers are charged and no money changes hands. But there are still positives: creators can get useful feedback and often find new people interested in their work. Creators are welcome to relaunch their projects on Kickstarter and apply lessons learned from the first go-around."

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Elite: Dangerous

I had so many fond memories of the original game that I had to shell out. It got its funding and they will also be making a Mac version! :)

That's the only thing I've backed, so far. I donated to someone making an album too but I can't remember who it was or if it was definitely on Kickstarter.

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
I help fund the Gecko Tag - which was an awesome idea, but has been a complete disaster: The accompanying app is barely functional, crashes, REQUIRES an internet connection to even boot up (had I known I would never have given them money), and won't work on anything but an iPhone 5S (neither pieces of information having been provided beforehand). I have a model older iPhone plus an iPad... so I'm up the creek. The gadget's response (to shakes and movements) is very inconsistent as well. $25 I could have been more useful being flushed down the toilet, literally.

The other item was a spinning top. I've loved tops since I was little, and these are handmade and machined and come in a nice little package. Funding is finished but they haven't shipped yet. It looks like the Totem from Inception... though that's not why I helped fund it.

Crowdfunding is iffy imo. The people who do those things have no legal responsibility to actually put the money to use; Kickstarter and Indiegogo both say "we take accountability very seriously... blah blah... if the project doesn't end up being fulfilled we may close their account... blah blah... contribute at your discretion..." which isn't a guarantee at all. And some ideas are downright dumb. Crowdfunding movies made by famous actors who already have the ability to make the movie regardless doesn't make much sense to me. There are needier things to spend money on. :/

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I haven't backed anything on Kickstarter, but I did fund the Robobrrd IndieGogo campaign to have something fun to build with my daughter.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nope, you get refunded if the project does not meet its goal. From the FAQ:

"If a project on Kickstarter does not reach its funding goal, no backers are charged and no money changes hands. But there are still positives: creators can get useful feedback and often find new people interested in their work. Creators are welcome to relaunch their projects on Kickstarter and apply lessons learned from the first go-around."

My son works with a guy who has "invested" several hundred dollars in Star Citizen.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
13 different projects so far, mostly games and tabletop related games. Out of those, 1 was canceled, 1 didnt make it, and 1 most likely wont make it. The rest have delivered or will surely deliver the final product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.