Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iTunes 11.3.1, fixing two separate podcasts bugs that caused subscribed podcasts to cease updating with new episodes and that caused iTunes to freeze up when browsing a list of podcast episodes.

itunes_11_3_1.jpg
iTunes 11.3.1 addresses a problem where subscribed podcasts may stop updating with new episodes and resolves an issue where iTunes may become unresponsive while browsing your podcasts episodes in a list.
iTunes 11.3.1 comes almost a month after the release of iTunes 11.3, which added improvements to iTunes Extras, including new content for HD movies like behind-the-scenes videos, short films, image galleries, director commentary, and more.

iTunes 11.3 can be downloaded via the Software Update Mechanism in the Mac App Store or Apple's iTunes website.

Article Link: Apple Releases iTunes 11.3.1 With Podcast Bug Fixes

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Man, are my hopes ever up for this one. My ipad, my iphone, my MBA and my mini all have a different list of podcasts, all with different play counts and positions, and most complaining that they are disabled because they aren't being listened to. It is annoying enough that I abandoned the iOS podcasts entirely, and have to suffer through NPR on commutes.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I used to love the way podcasting worked in both iTunes and the old iOS music app.

Apple has slowly butchered it into complete uselessness to me. I finally went and bought the Downcast apps for OS X and iOS and while not perfect, much better IMO.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I don't know maybe separate the iTunes Store and App Store and Podcasts like iOS?
I liked it better when Apple was not paying any attention to podcasts aspect of iTunes. Ever since somebody decided to "help", the behavior of the interface has been changing with every major iTunes update while bugs keep piling up on both Mac and iOS.

If you listen to podcasts by adding them to a playlist on iTunes, so that you can listen to a bunch of them in your car after syncing to your phone, you should know that Apple is paying special attention to making every step of your flow impractical. iTunes 11.whatever has made it impossible to delete a podcast episode by command-deleting it from a playlist on iTunes, so that it gets deleted from the playlist and the library at the same time. Now, I have to delete them twice to really get rid of an episode. For songs, the behavior did not change, as cmd-delete still removes them from the playlists and the library, so I can only assume this has been done deliberately. The "genius" who removed this functionality must be very proud of preventing its restoration through three minor iTunes updates.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I had issues with podcasts not getting updated because iTunes decided that I hadn't played that particular podcast in a long time, when in fact I played them nearly every day.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Still podcast freezes and does not update episodes, fail Apple stop worrying about beats and fix this.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
I had issues with podcasts not getting updated because iTunes decided that I hadn't played that particular podcast in a long time, when in fact I played them nearly every day.

Yeah that was my issue too. I was manually marking episodes played since I would often just play them on my (non connected) work PC rather than my phone. Hopefully this addresses that.

It's great that podcasts especially have been getting much better... but there's still a ways to go.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hope this also fixes the horrible track stuttering if you're playing tracks from an iPod though iTunes.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
I liked it better when Apple was not paying any attention to podcasts aspect of iTunes. Ever since somebody decided to "help", the behavior of the interface has been changing with every major iTunes update while bugs keep piling up on both Mac and iOS.

If you listen to podcasts by adding them to a playlist on iTunes, so that you can listen to a bunch of them in your car after syncing to your phone, you should know that Apple is paying special attention to making every step of your flow impractical. iTunes 11.whatever has made it impossible to delete a podcast episode by command-deleting it from a playlist on iTunes, so that it gets deleted from the playlist and the library at the same time. Now, I have to delete them twice to really get rid of an episode. For songs, the behavior did not change, as cmd-delete still removes them from the playlists and the library, so I can only assume this has been done deliberately. The "genius" who removed this functionality must be very proud of preventing its restoration through three minor iTunes updates.

Couldn't agree more. Podcast.app, and the way iTunes 'manages' them is complete & utter ***** these days. I hate the 'feed' and not being able to delete stuff easily (what on earth was the logic in 'auto delete' taking 24 hours?).... how nice it is for them to clog your hard drive up with podcasts you've already listed too...

I also hate the way they try and shove 'the cloud' down your throat. Why take up screen real estate with podcasts you've already listened too with a little freaking cloud icon beside it (I know you've already listed to this but don't forget it's still in 'the cloud' if you want to listed to it again. Who the f@ck listens to the same podcast twice on a regular basis?).

Grrr... like you mentioned already, as soon as they started paying attention to podcasts and the podcast app, it's all gone tits up.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I swear that the older iTunes versions would list the earlier episodes that I haven't downloaded, and even after this update *some* of the subscribed podcasts still don't list earlier episodes. It seems odd that functionality would be so inaccurate...

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Well, after weeks, i'm pleased to report, NO IMPROVEMENT. I still get lots of ! icons on podcasts i played yesterday, and there is still almost no syncing between devices. But, a new feature is, some of my podcasts are now doubled, with each one saying it's been deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.