Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, luxury modified iPhone vendor Feld & Volk [Instagram page] shared some high-quality photos and a video of the purported rear shell of the iPhone 6. The part was in an intermediate stage of production, and thus had not been fully processed and polished, but it still offered a good look at the device's body.

Feld & Volk has now received what it believes to be a completed 4.7-inch iPhone 6 rear shell and has shared some new photos revealing a few features not highlighted in previous leaks. Among these is a good look at the volume button cutouts, which have now been recessed slightly in a change that will allow for a lower profile along the edges and decreased likelihood of accidental volume changes.

iphone_6_recessed_volume.jpg
Similar recesses for the volume buttons have been seen on a purported "perfect replica" and claimed actual rear shell for the next-generation iPad Air.

Feld & Volk's photos also offer a look at the embedded Apple logo, something Apple has not used on the iPhone since the original iPhone back in 2007. Feld & Volk says the embedded logo is very similar to that seen on the original iPhone, but says it is made of "very extraordinary" scratch-resistant metal that it speculates could be a Liquidmetal alloy, although there is no specific evidence supporting that speculation.

iphone_6_embedded_logo.jpg
Another photo shows what seems to be an external camera ring, which measures 6.66 mm in diameter and reportedly fits perfectly on the rear camera hole of the shell. Leaked design drawings and physical mockups have indicated that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may see a protruding rear camera as seen on the current iPod touch, but so far those leaks have all pointed to a flush camera for the smaller 4.7-inch model, so it remains to be seen whether this camera ring does indeed pair with the rear shell of the 4.7-inch model.

iphone_6_camera_ring.jpg
Finally, the set of parts includes a long flexible cable previously seen in another photo leak. As with the previous leak, Feld & Volk speculates that it could be for the home button, but given its length we wonder if it is actually a flex cable for an upcoming iPad.

iphone_6_shell_parts.jpg
Apple is all but confirmed to be holding its annual iPhone media event on September 9, although it is unclear whether both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models will be arriving simultaneously. At a minimum, the 4.7-inch model should launch in the first wave of countries roughly a week and a half after the event, based on past release patterns.

Article Link: New iPhone 6 Rear Shell Photos Show Recessed Volume Buttons, Scratch-Resistant Apple Logo

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Wait... The... Lens pops out of the rear shell.... WHAT!?

Talk about sacrificing practicality over a sleek design.. Laying this on every surface will be a pain.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

5.5"?

Well, it is the iPhone that I always wanted. It's a shame that I'm just still a student.

Thank god I have 2 kidneys, maybe I should just sell one :)

Ichabod.

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Hmm, protruding rear camera would potentially make it see-saw when using it on a flat surface.

Camera-gate?!?

iPhone7s

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014
"iPhone 6 may see a protruding rear camera as seen on the current iPod touch"

No. Please no.

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Definitely looks like the Liquidmetal to me! I thought we'd never see what Apple was planning with that stuff. This could look pretty cool I think. :apple:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

No. Please no.

You missed out quite a big detail there.

"5.5-inch iPhone 6 may see a protruding rear camera as seen on the current iPod touch".

If it's the 4.7-inch, it won't be protruding?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I was hoping those plastic strips along the top and bottom were going to be filled in by something a bit more aesthetically pleasing. They don't look too terrible on the black version, but they do look awful on the silver. It's possible this isn't the finished back, but it's looking more and more as if it is.

Maybe Apple will give a spec bump to the 5c. I still like the design of that phone more than any other Apple has produced.

Macster512

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Wait... The... Lens pops out of the rear shell.... WHAT!?

Talk about sacrificing practicality over a sleek design.. Laying this on every surface will be a pain.

This. It is UNBELIEVABLE that Apple would allow such an AWFUL idea into the next iPhone.

Camera problems are already bad enough with existing iPhones with scratches and dust on the lens. I can't imagine what a toxic hellstew this will cause.

I can't believe Apple did this. For whoever called this CAMERAGATE, I agree. This is only the first story.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Please let that protruding lens be a mistake. please, please, please.

No. Please no.

This. It is UNBELIEVABLE that Apple would allow such an AWFUL idea into the next iPhone.

Camera problems are already bad enough with existing iPhones with scratches and dust on the lens. I can't imagine what a toxic hellstew this will cause.

I can't believe Apple did this. For whoever called this CAMERAGATE, I agree. This is only the first story.

100% agree on this. IMO the device should be as thin as the CAMERA apparatus allows it to be. We should NEVER have a protruding camera lens (unless its some crazy optical zoom and its flush when not being used).

I really hope this isn't true. On either model.

On the other hand, liquidmetal Apple logo = awesome! Scratch resistance is much needed....my iPhone 5S's Apple logo is a bit nicked up.

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
The more leaks we get on the new iPhone the worse it gets. I really hope there's a big twist on the stage next month.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
For some reason everyone is crying over the fact the iPhone 6 will have a protruding camera.

If you read it, it said the 5.5-inch may have a protruding camera, not the 4.7-inch.

Luckily for me, I'm getting the 4.7-inch and going by this article, it won't have a protruding camera!

flashflooder

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
I know there are lots of people that complain every time we get a redesigned iPhone... but this one really does seem like a step backwards in many (important) ways.

----------

Do you mean the Beats logo? Or something else? FWIW, that logo thing happened before the acquisition. Sorry in advance if this is not what you meant :p

he means the design with those ugly plastic bands.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I used to own the iPod touch with the protruding camera -- and while it wasn't annoying, the paint/finish on it did start to wear off, as did the finish on the opposite corner where the device rested on a flat surface. The wear was annoying :(

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Please let that protruding lens be a mistake. please, please, please.

No. Please no.

Yeah, it could be a issue for people who don't use cases. With this and the jockstrap look of the white iPhone 6, Apple seems to be giving people a couple of good reasons to put a case on.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.