Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Is it possible to create a new account for an international iTunes store in order to rent/buy movies not yet available in the US? I ask because there is a movie I'm interested in that is only available in Germany and is on the German iTunes store (I checked). Would I be able to rent or buy that movie and stream it to an Apple TV using Airplay like one would do with normal iTunes rentals and purchases?

Toubro

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
Definitely.
Just create a German account and buy a gift certificate to the German store, such as this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/15-Euro-Guth...961307984?pt=Gutscheine_1&hash=item2eca3a3550

Then log in to the account on your device and redeem your code.

That's how the rest of the world does it with an American account, because it's both cheaper and often movies and especially TV shows are available earlier in the US.
(When I say the rest of the world, I might be exaggerating a bit, but a lot of people do it :p)

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Definitely.
Just create a German account and buy a gift certificate to the German store, such as this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/15-Euro-Guth...961307984?pt=Gutscheine_1&hash=item2eca3a3550

Then log in to the account on your device and redeem your code.

That's how the rest of the world does it with an American account, because it's both cheaper and often movies and especially TV shows are available earlier in the US.
(When I say the rest of the world, I might be exaggerating a bit, but a lot of people do it :p)

Can I use a credit card or electronically buy a gift card? That way I wouldn't have to wait. Will Airplay work with the Apple TV the same as it does with the US store? Looking it up, it looks like you need a mailing address in the country from which you're buying. How do I get around that? Can I just pick a random address I find via Google? I doubt Apple really checks everything like that.

Is there a way of buying a German itunes card code so I wouldn't need to wait or pay for shipping when all I need is the code?

Last edited:

Toubro

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2013
Can I use a credit card or electronically buy a gift card? That way I wouldn't have to wait. Will Airplay work with the Apple TV the same as it does with the US store? Looking it up, it looks like you need a mailing address in the country from which you're buying. How do I get around that? Can I just pick a random address I find via Google? I doubt Apple really checks everything like that.

Is there a way of buying a German itunes card code so I wouldn't need to wait or pay for shipping when all I need is the code?

As far as I know, you have to do the gift certificate trick, as the credit card has to have the same nationality as the store you want to use.
Just find a random address in the country you wish to use. I'm sure Apple doesn't really care, the still get paid. I think this restriction is part of their agreement with the studios who still think we live in the 1980's.

It doesn't matter what e-mail you use, just as long as it is not connected with another Apple ID.

The way it normally works, when people buy american gift cards, is they buy them on eBay for example, then the seller just emails the redeemable code, so there is no need for shipping or waiting for the mailman :)

Does Apple TV have the 90 day account switch restriction?

There are lots of thorough tutorials out there, just search for "how to make an iTunes account for another country".

I'm not aware of such a restriction. I never change my account on the ATV, only on my iDevices.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

now that u mention it ... he could download it and stream it but playing it from the cloud will most likely not work because of that silly 90 days restriction i fell for once

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009

The only timed account restriction is for downloading old purchases when changing ID, for new purchases you can change ID and countries plenty of times in the same day.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The only timed account restriction is for downloading old purchases when changing ID, for new purchases you can change ID and countries plenty of times in the same day.

I suppose it's OK for movies, but it's awful for TV "season passes"; they're apparently treated as past purchases and are subject to the 90-day limit. I've stopped buying from iTunes because of that.

At one point they showed up under Store > Check for Available Downloads but that didn't work on the last one I bought.

Ka Ora!

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2009
I suppose it's OK for movies, but it's awful for TV "season passes"; they're apparently treated as past purchases and are subject to the 90-day limit. I've stopped buying from iTunes because of that.

At one point they showed up under Store > Check for Available Downloads but that didn't work on the last one I bought.

I only buy full seasons typically so not an issue for me..

twobelowpar

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2013
I regularly switch between Canadian and American accounts on ATV3 because I have movies on both. I wish I could have all my titles in one place to look through but it's the only real drawback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.