Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1passwordmac.png
AgileBits today announced that its upcoming 1Password update for iOS 8 will be distributed to existing 1Password users for free. In the past, significant updates have occasionally required users to purchase a new version of the app, but that will not be the case with the major iOS 8 update.

In iOS 8, 1Password will take advantage of several new APIs, such as app extensions and third-party Touch ID access. These APIs will give the app impressive new capabilities as seen in a recent demo video where 1Password is activated using Touch ID and then accessed in Safari.

Unlocking 1Password's master password with Touch ID will be a huge time saver for users, as will being able to automatically input saved passwords in Safari and other apps via app extensions using the built-in share sheet. AgileBits recently added a 1Password App Extension on Github, which means many third-party app developers will be able to integrate 1Password into their apps ahead of iOS 8's release.

In addition to announcing that its iOS 8 update will be free, AgileBits has also discounted 1Password both 1Password for iOS and Mac.
EVEN MORE good news: To help everyone get more secure online with strong, unique passwords for all their accounts, we're putting 1Password for iOS on sale for just $9.99! For how long? We're not sure yet, so act fast and spread the word. Bonus points: our upcoming update for iOS 8 will be free to existing owners!
AgileBits has been releasing beta versions of 1Password for iOS 8 since shortly after the operating system was released to developers, which means the major iOS 8 update should come just after iOS 8 is available to the public. iOS 8 is expected to see its public release in September, after the iPhone 6 is unveiled on September 9.

1Password can be downloaded from the App Store for $9.99 for a limited time. [Direct Link]

1Passwordhttp://appshopper.com/mac/productivity/1password for Mac has also been discounted by $10, to $34.99, also for a limited time. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 1Password for iOS/Mac Gets Price Cut Ahead of Upcoming Free iOS 8 Update

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
My most used utility App ...

Probably mine too. 1Password is awesome and the iOS 8 update is going to make it so much better. Easily the iOS 8 update I'm looking forward to the most.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Probably mine too. 1Password is awesome and the iOS 8 update is going to make it so much better. Easily the iOS 8 update I'm looking forward to the most.

I finally got it. So is the iOS 8 update going to make the app finally integrated into Safari? I hope so

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I assume this app is risky... I mean it's a wonderful idea in this day in age where we all have 200+ usernames and passwords for everything.... But what if someone hacks 1Passwords servers and gets ALL your passwords?....

I've been told that even services such as Life Lock are dangerous. Let me know because I forget all my passwords all the time and would love to get this app if I wasn't concerned over my data being stolen.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
My most used utility App ...
I agree 100%

I wasn't excited for iOS 8 until I heard about what it can do for 1password, and now I am excited.

I finally got it. So is the iOS 8 update going to make the app finally integrated into Safari? I hope so
Yes, there is a video on their website and it's really easy to use now with iOS 8

Jest3r

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I assume this app is risky... I mean it's a wonderful idea in this day in age where we all have 200+ usernames and passwords for everything.... But what if someone hacks 1Passwords servers and gets ALL your passwords?....

I've been told that even services such as Life Lock are dangerous. Let me know because I forget all my passwords all the time and would love to get this app if I wasn't concerned over my data being stolen.
The benefits of not using the same password for every site and service you register with far outweigh the risk of 1password being compromised. With the addition of TouchID integration, the weakest link of 1password security, someone watching you enter your password to unlock the app, is also lessened. As far as syncing goes, 1password is either sync'd via iCloud, another local network device, or Dropbox. There is no "1Password server" to be compromised.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Nothing is stored online if you don’t want to, in fact, AgileBits doesn’t store your usernames and passwords at all. Your data is securely stored locally in an encrypted file, sealed with your master password. This file can be stored on Dropbox or iCloud if you want, but the file itself is still encrypted. 1Password also supports Wi-Fi sync, so you don’t have to rely on the cloud.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Nothing is stored online if you don’t want to, in fact, AgileBits doesn’t store your usernames and passwords at all. Your data is securely stored locally in an encrypted file, sealed with your master password. This file can be stored on Dropbox or iCloud if you want, but the file itself is still encrypted. 1Password also supports Wi-Fi sync, so you don’t have to rely on the cloud.

And if you use a one step verification with drop box, you'll need 3 passwords to get to that file in drop box.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Just get it

ScreenShot2014-08-07at72007PM_zps9196aef3.png

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I just don't trust these utilities. I keep all my passwords in my mind and in an encrypted document, within an encrypted disk image, on my encrypted hard drive.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I just don't trust these utilities. I keep all my passwords in my mind and in an encrypted document, within an encrypted disk image, on my encrypted hard drive.

I trust these people. They have their own blog on which they cover developments in software, security and encryption as well as best practices. Nowadays, with so many developments happening all the time, I think it’s important to rely on people you trust when it comes to digital security, rather than trying to work on your own solution (even though your triple encryption may work for you, of course). Their app also makes it easy to create secure passwords and to audit them. 1Password also provides a service for Heartbleed and known security leaks and warns you if some of your passwords may have been compromised.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While this is a very nice gesture, iOS 8 update is technically a point release (4.6). Granted, browser extension, device passcode unlock, and Touch ID integration are all excellent additions for a point release. But as a loyal paying 1Password user (iOS and Mac), I would be ticked off having to pay full price to get these features (IAP maybe).

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

Um.... what do you think your 1Password vault is.... it's encrypted. Why keep all your passwords in your mind, when you can keep one really secure password in your mind, and not have to worry about anyone hacking your encrypted 1Password vault for 99 quintillion years???

1Password is more secure than anyone remembering a few lousy passwords that could be cracked in seconds anyway.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Am I crazy to think $34.99 on a Mac for a password utility is overpriced severely? And $9.99 on iOS?

No. You get what you pay for. You know how many password utilities I wasted money on until I got to 1Password? Start with the best and save money and headaches.

Get secure! By default I use 32 character passwords, numbers, symbols, etc. I get angry when a site only lets me use 16. Some sites even only allow 12!!!!!!

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
It didn't much time for me to fall in love with 1password. My collection has ballooned to 200+ passwords and I'm glad I can forget them as soon as the app takes records them. It's a great program.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
If iCloud Keychain didn't already do credit cards and web passwords across my Apple gear, I'd be all over this. I'd also be interested if I used more apps that required a login.

I guess I just don't need the functionality. I would like my passwords and CCs synced to my Boot Camp partition too, but it's an expensive solution compared to, say, just using Chrome for my humble PC sync needs.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, there is a video on their website and it's really easy to use now with iOS 8

I just saw the video that is awesomely, finally. I wasn't a big fan of their built in browser and on their trial I had was always copying and pasting. So since we bought this version we'll be supported for the iPhone 6 and the duration of iOS 8's software no hidden upcoming fees?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
And if you use a one step verification with drop box, you'll need 3 passwords to get to that file in drop box.

I thought I also remember reading somewhere that within that Dropbox file it's not really "readable", could be wrong though.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Am I crazy to think $34.99 on a Mac for a password utility is overpriced severely? And $9.99 on iOS?

You own a $700 iPhone and think $9.99 is too much? The Mac is up there, I got it for my daughter when it was on sale for $25, but as others said this, it's worth to!

No. You get what you pay for. You know how many password utilities I wasted money on until I got to 1Password? Start with the best and save money and headaches.

Get secure! By default I use 32 character passwords, numbers, symbols, etc. I get angry when a site only lets me use 16. Some sites even only allow 12!!!!!!
i was afraid to use over 16 because I'm still use to remembering passwords in a way. I been using bigger and bigger passwords now.

It didn't much time for me to fall in love with 1password. My collection has ballooned to 200+ passwords and I'm glad I can forget them as soon as the app takes records them. It's a great program.
i was amazed how fast my grew, but I'm only at 55 or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.