Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
I took another shot on a Ti on ebay, my last win was thrown in a box and broken in shipment. This one was properly packed. With the exception of a little chipping around the latch button it is pristine. The battery has a cycle count of 42. It is a 550mhz, 256MB, 20GB, combo, no Airport. The 1st was a 667mhz, 1GB, 80GB, SD, Airport. I swapped the ram and AP, maybe this weekend I'll swap the HD & SD.

The 550 was the 1st Mac I bought from the Apple store back in '01. I remember having to put in the Airport card.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I took another shot on a Ti on ebay, my last win was thrown in a box and broken in shipment. This one was properly packed. With the exception of a little chipping around the latch button it is pristine. The battery has a cycle count of 42. It is a 550mhz, 256MB, 20GB, combo, no Airport. The 1st was a 667mhz, 1GB, 80GB, SD, Airport. I swapped the ram and AP, maybe this weekend I'll swap the HD & SD.

The 550 was the 1st Mac I bought from the Apple store back in '01. I remember having to put in the Airport card.

My first mac was a 667. Oh god the memories. I wrote about it here. Congrats on your TiBook. Mine sits perched on my night stand connected to my sound system playing Spotify.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
They are so awesome :D I love mine so much :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3976.JPG
    IMG_3976.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 128

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If the 667Mhz model is a VGA one, you can swap the logicboards. The 667Mhz ones have a faster bus speed of 133Mhz.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am very happy for your find and that you really like the TiBooks.

My experience with them has not been very good, but I did have an early model so maybe that's why. My son's TiBook is a rocket and is actually using the screen from my old TiBook 400. So, maybe they made them better as they went along.

Anyway, my main issue was always the case. Over time it kept cracking and breaking in places. What's interesting is that everyone else had hinge issues, but the hinges on my old TiBook were rock solid. Everything else around the hinges broke. This is one of the reasons that old TiBook's LCD continues to be useful in my son's 1Ghz Titanium DVI. But, once I pulled the LCD from the old TiBook that was it for the case. It just entirely broke to pieces. :(

My preference is for the AlBooks for a lot of reasons, but the TiBook does have a grace of it's own.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I am very happy for your find and that you really like the TiBooks.

My experience with them has not been very good, but I did have an early model so maybe that's why. My son's TiBook is a rocket and is actually using the screen from my old TiBook 400. So, maybe they made them better as they went along.

Anyway, my main issue was always the case. Over time it kept cracking and breaking in places. What's interesting is that everyone else had hinge issues, but the hinges on my old TiBook were rock solid. Everything else around the hinges broke. This is one of the reasons that old TiBook's LCD continues to be useful in my son's 1Ghz Titanium DVI. But, once I pulled the LCD from the old TiBook that was it for the case. It just entirely broke to pieces. :(

My preference is for the AlBooks for a lot of reasons, but the TiBook does have a grace of it's own.

My last TiBook had the same issue. But, my original 500MHz TiBook is solid. Maybe you were just really unlucky. I treat my TiBook as a laptop, meaning I bring it with me most places.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My last TiBook had the same issue. But, my original 500MHz TiBook is solid. Maybe you were just really unlucky. I treat my TiBook as a laptop, meaning I bring it with me most places.
Well, I was the second owner and I got that laptop for Christmas 2001. I used it until November 2009, but I didn't REALLY use it until mid-2003. Sometime around late 2007 is when my son and I started going to Starbucks and that's when I decided to get an Airport card for it. So for the last two years is when it really saw heavier use.

However, it did see a year of daily use at work doing production work. I had a keyboard, mouse and monitor hooked up to it so my coworker could work. It wasn't until we got the G5 that there were two Macs in the department. Once that happened (Feb. 2005) the PB came home.

So, I can't complain about the use I got out of it because it did literally go everywhere. I just didn't start using it as my main driver until much later in it's life. By then is when it was starting to fall apart.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Well, I was the second owner and I got that laptop for Christmas 2001. I used it until November 2009, but I didn't REALLY use it until mid-2003. Sometime around late 2007 is when my son and I started going to Starbucks and that's when I decided to get an Airport card for it. So for the last two years is when it really saw heavier use.

However, it did see a year of daily use at work doing production work. I had a keyboard, mouse and monitor hooked up to it so my coworker could work. It wasn't until we got the G5 that there were two Macs in the department. Once that happened (Feb. 2005) the PB came home.

So, I can't complain about the use I got out of it because it did literally go everywhere. I just didn't start using it as my main driver until much later in it's life. By then is when it was starting to fall apart.

Ah, thats why. But good on you for using it to its fullest.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm sitting here typing this from my 867mhz TiBook, and doing so in preference to the unibody MBP that I also have sitting nearby.

I think that my TiBook has been badly treated in the past(I've only had it about two weeks) and it needed a new HDD cable, as well as a generous and strategic application of epoxy to the case bottom just to get it to stay together as it should. Aside from that, the hinges on mine are rock-solid, and the rest of the computer feels that way too.

I do need to track down a new battery, as the battery in mine will last all of 5 minutes, but aside from that it's surprisingly useable.

The screen is not as "flashy" as the LED backlit glossy screen on my MBP, I actually find it a lot more pleasant to use. If I'd been smart, when I bought my MBP I might have moved up to a 15" with a high-res matte screen, but Apple doesn't see fit to offer us anything similar to TiBook screen these days.

Enjoy your new one. I've certainly enjoyed mine.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I'm sitting here typing this from my 867mhz TiBook, and doing so in preference to the unibody MBP that I also have sitting nearby.

I think that my TiBook has been badly treated in the past(I've only had it about two weeks) and it needed a new HDD cable, as well as a generous and strategic application of epoxy to the case bottom just to get it to stay together as it should. Aside from that, the hinges on mine are rock-solid, and the rest of the computer feels that way too.

I do need to track down a new battery, as the battery in mine will last all of 5 minutes, but aside from that it's surprisingly useable.

The screen is not as "flashy" as the LED backlit glossy screen on my MBP, I actually find it a lot more pleasant to use. If I'd been smart, when I bought my MBP I might have moved up to a 15" with a high-res matte screen, but Apple doesn't see fit to offer us anything similar to TiBook screen these days.

Enjoy your new one. I've certainly enjoyed mine.

My battery latch is still having issues, but whenever it does charge, it lasts a good 30 mins, which is fine since most of the places I go to have outlets.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
I have the 500 and its manufactured week 15 of 2001. All thats wrong with it is the drive wont read DVDs... just spits them out. Real nuisance :(

Cosmetically the feet are gone... one time I moved it along my desk and it melted the feet into rubber streaks on my desk lool :eek: and the bottom case is splitting off and been glued back on before where that mad cement like stuff lost its grip

Guess I can try ebay for a bottom panel. The white paint is all perfect which is crazy

It is my favorite Mac :D I used to say I wanted to be buried with it in the end lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
Yeah, this my favorite classic laptop. I wish I could remember why I upgraded to the Albook 1.25. I did have problems initially with the paint, but they replaced the casing when it went in for warranty repairs and it came back without the IR module, but that's another story. I was editing videos at work at the time, that must have been it. Faster 'book with a SD.
I have to post some pictures of this $26 beauty!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I have the 500 and its manufactured week 15 of 2001. All thats wrong with it is the drive wont read DVDs... just spits them out. Real nuisance :(

Cosmetically the feet are gone... one time I moved it along my desk and it melted the feet into rubber streaks on my desk lool :eek: and the bottom case is splitting off and been glued back on before where that mad cement like stuff lost its grip

Guess I can try ebay for a bottom panel. The white paint is all perfect which is crazy

It is my favorite Mac :D I used to say I wanted to be buried with it in the end lol
How can you tell the Manufacturing date?
Nevermind. Mine was week 3 of march of 2001. My Classic is the same too, haha.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
How can you tell the Manufacturing date?
Nevermind. Mine was week 3 of march of 2001. My Classic is the same too, haha.
Hmmm. Mine was younger than I thought. October 2001 (original logic board).

Model introduced: 2001
Serial number: QT1391XFL98 Nice Name:
Machine Model: PowerBook3,2
Name: PowerBook G4 (Titanium / Jan 2001)
ModelCode: pg4
Family name: M5884
Model Number: M7952
Group1: PowerBook
Group2: G4
Generation: 1
CPU speed: 400MHz
Screen size: 15 inch
Screen resolution: 1152x768 pixels
Production year: 2001
Production week: 39 (October)
Production number: 2225 (within this week)
Model introduced: 2001
Memory - flavour: PC100-S-100
Memory - number of slots: 2
Factory: QT (Quanta, Taiwan)

Here's a part of what's left of it after I took it apart to get the LCD out. Note the destruction in the corner of the top case.

Attachments

• 2014-08-09 21.58.15.jpg
    2014-08-09 21.58.15.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 2014-08-09 21.57.02.jpg
    2014-08-09 21.57.02.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 2014-08-09 21.57.36.jpg
    2014-08-09 21.57.36.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Seems they all came from Taiwan back then :apple:

My TiBook also has a baby bro (500 iBook) from 2001 as well :eek: :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_4299.jpg
    IMG_4299.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Seems they all came from Taiwan back then :apple:

My TiBook also has a baby bro (500 iBook) from 2001 as well :eek: :cool:
What Mario game is that in the picture?

My son has the Titanium DVI (1Ghz) and he'd be totally interested in any Mario games that run on his Mac.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
I actually completed the game few years ago on Wii virtual console :D

Was nice to see snes9x worked on 10.2.8 lol

I just done a fresh 9.2 on my iBook and copied it over to my Ti since the drive kept spitting out my cd lol. The thing needs a new drive badly lol

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

I got a VGA (I think 600 or 667Mhz, 1GB RAM) model from someone and it was such a nice laptop. So thin, even for today... light, good and familiar iBook/PowerBook keyboard, unique trackpad. The thing was in my laptop bag and must have stayed on. It fried to death :( I had only had it for some months before this happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.