Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
with 1password currently on sale I am wondering if it's worth the purchase.

Does TouchID in ios 8 store website passwords or is it just passwords for apps?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
TouchID is just to unlock the phone, it doesn't hold your passwords or anything.

I'd say 1Password just because it does so much.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
So wait, I'm confused. What's so great about 1 password? Like if I use the same password for every site, what does this do for me?

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
So wait, I'm confused. What's so great about 1 password? Like if I use the same password for every site, what does this do for me?

It enables you to use different passwords - perhaps very strong ones randomly generated by the app - and access them with one password. This makes your individual accounts safer, and makes you smarter.

Having one password for every site you access - especially if they include your bank, PayPal, or other financial accounts is begging for trouble.

You can also store secure notes (a safe combination, say) in the app.

1Password will be able to provide access to your account information by using TouchID under iOS 8.

- Joe, your friendly neighborhood IT security guy (and 1Password user).

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

Joe, above, did a pretty good job of explaining but I want to go a step further.

By using the same password on every site, if someone obtains your password for any of them they usually can get your username/email and the password. In this case they can login to that account and see your email address, goto the hosting provider for that email and try your password. If it works, now they can go through and see all of the sites you signed up for and try the password there. Including banks and other important sites that you value greatly.

By using a unique strong password for every single site you limit the damage to that one account rather than all of the accounts.

We also fill into the webpage for you so you don't have to copy and paste or do any jumping through hoops to get it to work.

Happy to discuss with you if you have any other questions :)

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
TouchID is just to unlock the phone, it doesn't hold your passwords or anything.

I'd say 1Password just because it does so much.

craig said that it will be used by 3rd party apps to unlock keychain items (logins/user data) to sign in

touch-id-ios-8-814x420.png

and if you open apple site under sdk feature you will see this description

ios-8-touch-id-for-apps.jpg

so i think it will be just time to make most devs support touch id in their apps.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Joe, above, did a pretty good job of explaining but I want to go a step further.

By using the same password on every site, if someone obtains your password for any of them they usually can get your username/email and the password. In this case they can login to that account and see your email address, goto the hosting provider for that email and try your password. If it works, now they can go through and see all of the sites you signed up for and try the password there. Including banks and other important sites that you value greatly.

By using a unique strong password for every single site you limit the damage to that one account rather than all of the accounts.

We also fill into the webpage for you so you don't have to copy and paste or do any jumping through hoops to get it to work.

Happy to discuss with you if you have any other questions :)

Thank you sir. Very informative. I think I'll have to grab it haha. Especially with the Touch ID support

----------

It enables you to use different passwords - perhaps very strong ones randomly generated by the app - and access them with one password. This makes your individual accounts safer, and makes you smarter.

Having one password for every site you access - especially if they include your bank, PayPal, or other financial accounts is begging for trouble.

You can also store secure notes (a safe combination, say) in the app.

1Password will be able to provide access to your account information by using TouchID under iOS 8.

- Joe, your friendly neighborhood IT security guy (and 1Password user).

Awesome response. Thanks so much!

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
TouchID or 1password for iOS 8

There is no need to buy 1Password as ios 8 already have touch id feature with keychain ,and you will wait until apps add integration support to 1Password to use it with other apps.

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

It means you can stop using the same password for every site.

You really should.

----------

10.00 is on sale? How is it better than onesafe

From my personal perspective, I trust 1password because I know a little about the company from observing their online presence and interactions. They seem legit and their product seems well put together.

I don't know anything about onesafe. They may be better. They may be worse. I don't know.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
If I use only Macs iPhones and iPads and all devices are secured with a strong password or Touch ID then what is the benefit of buying 1Password for each device rather than using Keychain to manage all of my passwords and to create strong passwords? Also, other apps will likely support keychain integration for Touch ID before supporting 1Password.

Budiosx

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
If I use only Macs iPhones and iPads and all devices are secured with a strong password or Touch ID then what is the benefit of buying 1Password for each device rather than using Keychain to manage all of my passwords and to create strong passwords?

you don't need 1Password if you use only safari on Macs & iDevices

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
you don't need 1Password if you use only safari on Macs & iDevices

Not true. I use all Macs and iOS, and I own and use 1Password. I like how 1Password stores other important info besides passwords. I find it very useful and to look up a password is far easier in 1Password than looking it up on an iOS devise in the settings.

----------

If I use only Macs iPhones and iPads and all devices are secured with a strong password or Touch ID then what is the benefit of buying 1Password for each device rather than using Keychain to manage all of my passwords and to create strong passwords? Also, other apps will likely support keychain integration for Touch ID before supporting 1Password.

I recommend reading this thread. People list all the ways why they use 1Password

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1762810/

Also, if you have any questions, contact Kyle. He works for the company that makes 1Password and is very helpful

https://forums.macrumors.com/members/705360/

Last edited:

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Last pass is probably the best all around password manager. However if you only use ios and osx have a look at iCloud Keychain. It has less features than last pass or 1 password but I have used it for a year now and been very happy with it. Also if you have a mac you can have "icloud secure notes" that sync between macs (not ios at the moment) which makes it a bit more useful.
And as per the keynote Touch ID will now work with apps and also your keychain in some form.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

There are a lot of reasons why 1Password would be better, but it depends on your use case.

If all you're doing is the basics, I suppose you could use nearly any application. But if you want to be able to use something other than Safari for your web browser you will not be able to do that with iCloud Keychain, it's Safari only. 1Password works with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and various Chrome derivatives such as WhiteHat Aviator.

We also provide full organizational tools like Folders, Tags and Smart Folders. Far more categories you can store inside of 1Password.

One of my favorite tips is I have all of my usual items in my physical wallet. I then have a tag called "My Wallet" and each credit card, driver's license and other cards are all tagged with that tag. If I lose my wallet I know exactly which cards were in my physical wallet and can call them and get things cancelled. The Credit Card category allows you to store phone numbers and even create custom fields and sections inside of it for storing additional data.

That's one of the neat things you can do with 1Password that you cannot do with Keychain.

There are a variety of other really neat creative ways people have found to use 1Password, I think we're planning a series of blog posts for stuff like this in the future :)

Let me know if you ever have any questions though. I'll be happy to help!

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
There are a lot of reasons why 1Password would be better, but it depends on your use case.

If all you're doing is the basics, I suppose you could use nearly any application. But if you want to be able to use something other than Safari for your web browser you will not be able to do that with iCloud Keychain, it's Safari only. 1Password works with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari and various Chrome derivatives such as WhiteHat Aviator.

We also provide full organizational tools like Folders, Tags and Smart Folders. Far more categories you can store inside of 1Password.

One of my favorite tips is I have all of my usual items in my physical wallet. I then have a tag called "My Wallet" and each credit card, driver's license and other cards are all tagged with that tag. If I lose my wallet I know exactly which cards were in my physical wallet and can call them and get things cancelled. The Credit Card category allows you to store phone numbers and even create custom fields and sections inside of it for storing additional data.

That's one of the neat things you can do with 1Password that you cannot do with Keychain.

There are a variety of other really neat creative ways people have found to use 1Password, I think we're planning a series of blog posts for stuff like this in the future :)

Let me know if you ever have any questions though. I'll be happy to help!

I use only Macs so only Safari is used for browsing and Keychain also holds a whole host of passwords for applications too along with card data. It's hardly the basics, does 1password integrate with other applications and store login credentials for them too, like keychain does? I know you have your product to schill but I don't see anything 1Password does that's worth paying for over keychain sync.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
1password people on here, you guys should have really made a proper sale and some of us might have bit and then stayed w you after iOS 8 got released.

iOS 8 and touchID will be my way since it's free and secure.

Beastgiga

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
One of the biggest reasons I use 1Password over Keychain is the ability to integrate with Dropbox so I can easily find and use my passwords on any computer, Window or Mac. Linking it to Dropbox creates a file that acts as a light, standalone manager that opens with any browser. All I ever have to do is sign into Dropbox. Incredibly useful if you ever find yourself without your own computer (traveling, internet cafes, at a friends house, etc).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
One of the biggest reasons I use 1Password over Keychain is the ability to integrate with Dropbox so I can easily find and use my passwords on any computer, Window or Mac. Linking it to Dropbox creates a file that acts as a light, standalone manager that opens with any browser. All I ever have to do is sign into Dropbox. Incredibly useful if you ever find yourself without your own computer (traveling, internet cafes, at a friends house, etc).

Not to mention that all of your important login credentials are securely backed up.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
I use only Macs so only Safari is used for browsing and Keychain also holds a whole host of passwords for applications too along with card data. It's hardly the basics, does 1password integrate with other applications and store login credentials for them too, like keychain does? I know you have your product to schill but I don't see anything 1Password does that's worth paying for over keychain sync.

On a Mac, that's something we'd like to add at some point. Integration with other applications. We can do it with iOS now so it'll make more sense if we can also integrate on the Mac. That said, I don't know what the plans are for this at this particular time on Mac. I know many of us on the team would love to see it as well though.

That said, we certainly don't mind if you use another product. Our stance has always been that you should use any password manager that is secure, even if it isn't our own. The benefits of using a password manager are worth it and we'll be happy even if you aren't using ours. All we've ever wanted to do was to help people and improve their lives and sanity by helping them securely store their data. If you want to use Keychain, we certainly won't try to stop you. That said, there is plenty that 1Password does that Keychain does not.

Some of the bigger reasons to use 1Password would be total control of your data. By default your passwords are synced only if you choose to do so. We also offer wifi sync for those who are cloud adverse and do not want their data to ever be in a cloud storage system. This is one of the bigger differentiators between us and Keychain (which naturally has iCloud prepended to it a lot these days).

We also offer support if something goes wrong. I'm not sure about you but I often have trouble getting real support with Apple software if I need it. Usually you're on your own if you have questions and Apple Store geniuses aren't always nearby for everyone. My nearest Apple Store is at least an hour away and I'm very unlikely to drive that far to get help with software questions. We have a full team of support staff waiting to help if you ever need it. I am one of them.

If you ever want to move away from Safari or ever get something other than a Mac, you'll find that you're more or less locked into Keychain at that point as there is no export functionality that is simple and to the point with Keychain. Your data is yours with 1Password and we export in our own 1PIF format, read by most other software, and CSV. No lock in from us.

Ultimately the choice is yours, but, we do offer a free trial for Mac so you're welcome to try it before you buy it. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help, even if it's via private message.

1password people on here, you guys should have really made a proper sale and some of us might have bit and then stayed w you after iOS 8 got released.

iOS 8 and touchID will be my way since it's free and secure.

Proper sale? I'm not sure I understand how you can put free on sale :) This is the iOS sub-form, right?

The iOS application is now free, with in-app purchase for Pro features (multiple vaults, custom sections/fields, viewing attachments, folders, tags and other great features). The price of that is also $10, $8 cheaper than we were asking for 1Password 4.

Being able to use 1PasswordAnywhere is pretty awesome isn't it?

It's also great knowing you have total control over where your data is.

Not to mention that all of your important login credentials are securely backed up.

I wouldn't necessarily say Dropbox or iCloud are backups, you should certainly be making local backups of your data if possible :) The files in a sync service are constantly changing so they wouldn't necessarily be backups in the traditional sense. You can always restore to it but I wouldn't keep it as my only backup of your data.

I'm happy to go into more detail on this if you would like to know more about how I backup my data :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.