Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
EA has released Wing Commander III as one of their "on the house" titles for free for a limited time. You'll need the Origin Client to get it.

I doubt this depends on Origin to run once installed. Since it is an old MS-DOS release, you could probably move it into Boxer yourself if you wanted to play it in OS X. I am sure they must be using DOSBox for the Windows release. GOG sells this for Mac and is using Boxer so it must work I would think.

It's too bad that EA doesn't support Mac with their recent releases of old classic games but on a bright note you can find them all DRM-free on GOG and most if not all at this point are setup to run on Macs out of the box. If you haven't checked out the classic games available for Mac on GOG and you like these kinds of games or remember some of them fondly, you should head over there and check it out. They have a lot of great stuff for Mac and also a lot that can easily be setup with Boxer or Wine.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I loved this game when it first came out (I was a huge WC fan) -- even with the corny FMV. I should head over to GOG to see which ones are available for Mac natively.

For those that aren't aware, Chris Roberts is creating a monster space sim right now, Star Citizen. However the term "scope creep" is probably a good description of that project.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.