Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Periodically, I see people come on this forum and ask about external capture devices for PowerPC Macs. I ended up needing one of these devices as I am going to be doing VHS to DVD home movie transfers for a client. After searching eBay, Amazon, and Google, I came across an adapter that works well and supports both PowerPC and Intel Macs. I ordered this adapter.

When you unbox the device you will find the adapter, a book, and a disk with an outdated copy of the software. It is best to go to Diamond's website and download the latest version of the software. Do not throw away the box with the book and the disk as it includes the serial for the capture software.

I hooked up a VCR with the composite video cables I had and played a tape back into the software. Recording works fine over USB 2.0 on my PowerMac and the quality is good! The adapter supports recording in VGA resolution (640x480) at 30 FPS for NTSC and 720x576 at 25 FPS for PAL. This particular adapter also works with S-Video if you decided to hook up with that.

I am very happy with this adapter and it works fine for VHS --> DVD transfers as well as game capture from consoles. Just thought I would share my thoughts since this is a great adapter.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Periodically, I see people come on this forum and ask about external capture devices for PowerPC Macs. I ended up needing one of these devices as I am going to be doing VHS to DVD home movie transfers for a client. After searching eBay, Amazon, and Google, I came across an adapter that works well and supports both PowerPC and Intel Macs. I ordered this adapter.

When you unbox the device you will find the adapter, a book, and a disk with an outdated copy of the software. It is best to go to Diamond's website and download the latest version of the software. Do not throw away the box with the book and the disk as it includes the serial for the capture software.

I hooked up a VCR with the composite video cables I had and played a tape back into the software. Recording works fine over USB 2.0 on my PowerMac and the quality is good! The adapter supports recording in VGA resolution (640x480) at 30 FPS for NTSC and 720x576 at 25 FPS for PAL. This particular adapter also works with S-Video if you decided to hook up with that.

I am very happy with this adapter and it works fine for VHS --> DVD transfers as well as game capture from consoles. Just thought I would share my thoughts since this is a great adapter.
Put this on Maclassic!

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Thanks for finding something like this! Tempting to get one but trying to record Xbox 360 using composite may not be the greatest idea for what I plan to do, however I have a friend with a modded Xbox original and that would be neat to capture some footage with and in that case this adapter would rock! I'm certainly better off with a USB->HDMI adapter for 720p. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815131019

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks for finding something like this! Tempting to get one but trying to record Xbox 360 using composite may not be the greatest idea for what I plan to do, however I have a friend with a modded Xbox original and that would be neat to capture some footage with and in that case this adapter would rock! I'm certainly better off with a USB->HDMI adapter for 720p. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815131019

As much as I would want that over what I have it wouldn't work on PPC or most of my PCs. I wouldn't want to leave my MBP (my only computer that exceeds a C2D) running with it for recording.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I have an EyeTV Hybrid USA (2010) which also works as a capture device (using proprietary to RCA adapter). I think it should work with an older version of EyeTV on PowerPC so that's also an option to consider if anyone has EyeTV devices.

For pro users with a breakout box and lots of video equipment, using the AJA Kona LHe on the PCI-E (late 2005 PowerMac G5) could also be an option.

I have both but haven't tested them out on PowerPC yet (though I am sure they work).

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have an EyeTV Hybrid USA (2010) which also works as a capture device (using proprietary to RCA adapter). I think it should work with an older version of EyeTV on PowerPC so that's also an option to consider if anyone has EyeTV devices.

For pro users with a breakout box and lots of video equipment, using the AJA Kona LHe on the PCI-E (late 2005 PowerMac G5) could also an option.

Very good idea! I am going to look into that equipment.

b4peace

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
SVHS Capture to Powerbook G4 OSX 10.4.11?

Any suggestions for capturing SVHS to my Powerbook G4 OSX 10.4.11? Thnx.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

I am not familiar with "SVHS" but I am going to assume it means stereo VHS. The adapter that I linked to supports S-Video and component cables, which is stereo. You must have a stereo output on your VCR for it to work of course.

robertdsc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014

For software, try VideoGlide from EchoFx.

For capturing via yellow/white/red composite, try the Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 100 capture device. It can record 640x480 S-Video at 30 FPS to your Mac in conjunction with the VideoGlide software.

I used this combo for many years before fading out of the capture business.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
I remember back in the day I used to use a converter made by Foremac, it connected via FireWire and at the time was one of a couple converters supported by iMovie. They also included their own program as well. It worked very well and even worked in OS 9.

I saw one on eBay a while back for ~$20. Back in the day they were about $300-$400 depending on the model (one version had a TV tuner, one did not if I remember correctly).

b4peace

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
SVHS Video

I am not familiar with "SVHS" but I am going to assume it means stereo VHS. The adapter that I linked to supports S-Video and component cables, which is stereo. You must have a stereo output on your VCR for it to work of course.

Thanks for the response! I should have been more specific - SVHS is Super VHS and here's a description:

S-VHS (also known as Super-VHS) is a video tape recording format and S-Video refers to a method of video signal transfer that keeps the color and B/W portions of the video signal separated until it reaches the television for display or another component

These tapes need to playback on a SVHS vcr - which is not a problem, but I'm wondering if the adapter you linked will handle that format?

Thanks for your help - any other suggestions appreciated :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Thanks for the response! I should have been more specific - SVHS is Super VHS and here's a description:

S-VHS (also known as Super-VHS) is a video tape recording format and S-Video refers to a method of video signal transfer that keeps the color and B/W portions of the video signal separated until it reaches the television for display or another component

These tapes need to playback on a SVHS vcr - which is not a problem, but I'm wondering if the adapter you linked will handle that format?

Yes, it should work just fine when connected to the output on your VCR.

----------

Thanks for finding this. I should get this and use it with one of my G5s to transfer some old recorded VHS tapes.

What does the video quality look like? I've had similar converters in the past which I've been less than impressed with.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

If the output on the SVHS VCR is S-Video or component then it will work great for your needs. Just make sure to download the latest software from the site and use the included CD only for the product key.

Thanks for finding this. I should get this and use it with one of my G5s to transfer some old recorded VHS tapes.

What does the video quality look like? I've had similar converters in the past which I've been less than impressed with.

The video quality is good for VHS transfers. Now if you were doing game play recording then unless it was an old console with just component output you would be less than satisfied. For the money, it works great with my Mac, puts out good quality, and provides the software. What more could I ask for?

Keep in mind though that recording does use a lot of CPU power even on my G5 and that running a lot of background applications could potentially cause video errors. Normally it runs at about 50% usage on each CPU in my dual 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 with a Radeon 9600 XT. I also changed my settings in the software as the default format was using huge amounts of disk space. The settings change, while it did decrease the disk space usage remarkable, likely did raise the CPU usage as it must encode in that other format. I can try and find the settings if you would like.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The video quality is good for VHS transfers. Now if you were doing game play recording then unless it was an old console with just component output you would be less than satisfied. For the money, it works great with my Mac, puts out good quality, and provides the software. What more could I ask for?

Keep in mind though that recording does use a lot of CPU power even on my G5 and that running a lot of background applications could potentially cause video errors. Normally it runs at about 50% usage on each CPU in my dual 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5 with a Radeon 9600 XT. I also changed my settings in the software as the default format was using huge amounts of disk space. The settings change, while it did decrease the disk space usage remarkable, likely did raise the CPU usage as it must encode in that other format. I can try and find the settings if you would like.

My main concern is that with the converters I tried the quality was lacking compared to VHS to DVD transfers.

I can always stick the second CPU in my 2.0 G5, even though it sounds like a jet with the CPU installed. Hard drive space is not an issue since it has a 1 TB hard drive.

b4peace

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
My main concern is that with the converters I tried the quality was lacking compared to VHS to DVD transfers.

I can always stick the second CPU in my 2.0 G5, even though it sounds like a jet with the CPU installed. Hard drive space is not an issue since it has a 1 TB hard drive.

If it sounds like a jet then you need to calibrate the fans. Hard drive space may not be an issue, but you need the video files to fit onto a DVD.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If it sounds like a jet then you need to calibrate the fans.

I bought the 2.0 GHz G5 CPU on eBay because it was missing when I got the machine. It looks like it had been ripped right out of another G5, although it does seem to work just fine other than the issue with the fans.

A while back I did try a calibration, but it failed.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I bought the 2.0 GHz G5 CPU on eBay because it was missing when I got the machine. It looks like it had been ripped right out of another G5, although it does seem to work just fine other than the issue with the fans.

A while back I did try a calibration, but it failed.

What version of Apple Service Diagnostics did you use?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Do you have feedback about this type of converter I found on Ebay? http://www.ebay.com/itm/iGrabber-USB...-/400471507848 - thnx :apple:

It supports the same video quality as the one that I linked to. Most of these appear to come from the same factory just with different branding so it will likely work just as well. Of course, this is just speculation and I can only attest to what worked well at least for me...

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I purchased a Grass Valley ADVC-110 to record VHS to PC. I also picked up a pretty late model VCR at Goodwill... I'm sure there are better ones out there but this one has a pretty clear picture, which I guess is pretty much all I need.

I've tried using the ADVC with my digital camera, playing out via composite, and it looks to record pretty accurately to what it would be if I just transferred the file over. I haven't been able to try with any VHS tapes since I keep forgetting to pick them up from my mom's.

It was expensive, especially since I bought it new, but once I'm done with it I should be able to sell it for most of my cost. I could have saved some by buying used on eBay but I usually get burned when buying used electronics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.